Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Leafs | win | March of the Penguins

Who is currently more useless?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I mean, Rakell's screen on Ruhwedel's shot led directly to Malkin's goal tonight. Against Boston, Rakell's work on the boards kept the puck in the zone. He fed POJ who fed Malkin for a goal.

It's those little things that don't always lead to points for Rakell that help the line click.
Rakell just does whatever his linemates need. He's a really bright hockey player, and a lot of the time he's doing the thankless jobs because pretty much all of our top 6 players can't be bothered to play any defense or establish net front position on a consistent basis.

When Dumo was making a stupid pinch when protecting the lead last night I was like oh here we go, but Rakell was on the ice, so when the play invariably went the other way he was in perfect position and nothing came of it. Rakell covered for the LD because he was actually holding down the F3 job when Zucker and Geno were down low. If that happened with L1 on the ice, no one would have covered and there would have been a 2 on 1 the other way. That's why Sullivan is starting to sneak Rakell on the ice with Sid and Jake to close out games, he did it in Washington.

And Rakell is the same exact player every night. We could use two of him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I didn't get to watch the game. I checked the box score and just assumed Malkin got injured.

Certainly an... interesting... ice time distribution.

The whole GCR = every EN oppo has always kinda bugged me. But I guess not as much as going to friggin' Carter when L2 was hot all night. If ya'll think these guys don't care or notice you're wrong.

Also I've not exactly had any of my concerns assuaged over signing Rust long term so far this year.
Carter was good last night. GCR was the problem.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It is, unsurprisingly, pretty funny that certain "Malkin dogs it out there" posters are totally silent on Rust's 4 year spring break. :laugh:

I just still to this day don't entirely know what to think of Rust. It's hard to say he ISN'T a "legitimate" top six wing simply by virtue of his production by the end of every year. But then you watch him over stretches like this season (without Malkin) and really wonder. Everyone making the latter day Kunitz comparisons is pretty close to accurate. Except Kunitz had like 5 years on him before he started to float around like this.

I don't think Malkin dogs it. But he's definitely had more moments this year than I'm comfortable with that looks like one of his AVP yard statues tipped over and fell on his head. But that obviously wasn't this game. Hopefully he's fresh today considering he got played 14 minutes.

Last edited:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
He's following the same career arc as Kunitz....starts as a grinder that can chip in offence then over time thinks he's become a sniper who can just wait in the weeds.

Rust Was There.

Will we see the return of the fire turtle?
Cky7O_YWkAAft8k.jpg

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dunking on Rust who is a beast and a bargain is weird. The problem is with GCR as a whole, and that the coach loves the way they play despite all evidence to the contrary.

But then again, the board has always had a hate on for Rust.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
When Dumo was making a stupid pinch when protecting the lead last night I was like oh here we go, but Rakell was on the ice, so when the play invariably went the other way he was in perfect position and nothing came of it. Rakell covered for the LD because he was actually holding down the F3 job when Zucker and Geno were down low. If that happened with L1 on the ice, no one would have covered and there would have been a 2 on 1 the other way.
IIRC, the only dangerous fast break the Leafs had in the third was a direct result of Rust going low for a risky play rather than play the F3 position as he should. For some reason when Rust is playing with Crosby he often thinks he is prime James Neal or Phil Kessel circa 2019 and defense is optional. When he is hot, the goals he contributes to mask his defensive deficiencies but when he is cold, things get ugly.
Before Rakell came, I didn't know him too well and I thought he would be a sniper who doesn't play much defense. His offense can be better, obviously, but doing the little things correctly is very important. Zucker was like that for a while and now he is finally scoring more, if Rakell can stay healthy, this is likely to happen to him too. Of course, this being the Penguins, this is a big if, but still.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
"It's tough," Malkin said. "When you're lost, you need to support each other, help each other. It's time to build up the team. We lost these games in a row. Why not win the next six games in a row?"
---
That's 2.
4 more to go!

We actually trapped in the 3rd...go figure! :snide:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Rust is entirely deserving of his harsh yet valid criticism around here. He's by no means a "beast" and he's playing like a dude who got his big payday and checked out, no pun intended.

He's got 3 points in his last 11 games. We're all in agreement that Jake-Sid-Rust sucks, and a Rakell/Rust swap is needed. But one of the main reasons Jake-Sid-Rust sucks is because of Rust himself. :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Dunking on Rust who is a beast and a bargain is weird. The problem is with GCR as a whole, and that the coach loves the way they play despite all evidence to the contrary.

I'm with you in that Rust has been a huge producer the last 3 years. A lot of people were relieved he got signed.

But I agree with the board that GCRak + ZMRust gives us more. Breaking it up made zero sense, offensively and defensively.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Rusty is so unusual. The points are there but in the playoffs he's disappeared. He was so clutch. Defensively he was awesome for G's line in the past or for the Cullen/Kuhn/Rusty line.

But put him on L1 and it's like defense becomes a lost art. Transition defense for that line is the worst. Nobody picks up a guy.
Because Rust is always out of position. He goes way too low in the OZ, letting his defender usually double team Crosby, and then makes the only available pass for 87 to the point. If it doesn't make it to the point, the other team is quickly going the other way while the Penguins have 3 players behind the net.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Swapping Rust and Rakell makes sense for a number of reasons, yet here we are. :laugh: I think it'd get more out of Rust, it'd make L2 better, it'd make Sid and Jake better, but y'know. Sullivan's gotta do whatever he wants.

Can we at least agree that Rust should be yanked off the first unit powerplay?
What're you, f***in' high? Absolutely not. Same goes for Letang, who has 1 power play shot this season, and whose last RS power play goal was in March. :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah you're right. Doing the exact same thing is obviously the way to go.

I know if I just keep throwing myself headlong into that brick wall I'll break through eventually. You know... after all the massive brain damage I cause myself.

• Love
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah you're right. Doing the exact same thing is obviously the way to go.

I know if I just keep throwing myself headlong into that brick wall I'll break through eventually. You know... after all the massive brain damage I cause myself.
Hello, long time listener, first time caller. What do you do about your power play when you're spending $12.35 million on two blueliners who are absolutely wretched with the man advantage? Thanks, love the show.

Reactions: vodeni

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Hello, long time listener, first time caller. What do you do about your power play when you're spending $12.35 million on two blueliners who are absolutely wretched with the man advantage? Thanks, love the show.
Thanks for calling in to Sully 102.4

Frankly, what you do is put your best players into the best position to succeed. And really need to feel that they can get to their game. If you encourage sticktoitiveness, you'll get the results on the ice that you know the players can deliver.

Reactions: vodeni

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
Can we add "Letang to the powerplay" on the thread poll?

I don't know what irritates me more. Letang's powerplay skills or GCRust's defense.

Bring back GCRak and ZMRust. Keep Kap in the press box, dumo on the 3rd pairing (or just get rid of him), and try literally anyone else on the powerplay instead of Letang. Edit: Switch Rusty trumbone out for rak on pp1 too.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

It's honestly not an easy solution to be serious. I just know that at least for now Rust and probably Letang should sit things out on PP1. It's not like they can get much worse. But then what do you do... Petry? He sucks even worse, there.

Rust is an easy swap. Letang far more tricky.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Rust is a beast? He's got like 5 ES points all year despite playing huge minutes next to either Sid or Geno. He's only got 8 points in 14 games despite getting top PP time and top line minutes. I'm not sure what's so beastly about that.

It's no coincidence the Crosby/Guentzel line looked fine defensively with Rakell there but has looked shit since Rust joined. He doesn't complement what those two need out of their third wheel.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
One thing that is super nice to see and that I want to make sure to mention considering how much I've griped about it is the work between Malkin and Zucker this year. I still don't think it's always the prettiest (neither was Malkin with Horns for that matter) but it's working and they seem to actually be finding each other a lot more. I like that Zuck is keeping his game pretty straightforward and consistent but seems to really be firing the puck lately now, too.

Frankly if we're talking about the powerplay that's the first guy I'd try to find a way to get on that top unit over just about anyone currently on it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One thing that is super nice to see and that I want to make sure to mention considering how much I've griped about it is the work between Malkin and Zucker this year. I still don't think it's always the prettiest (neither was Malkin with Horns for that matter) but it's working and they seem to actually be finding each other a lot more. I like that Zuck is keeping his game pretty straightforward and consistent but seems to really be firing the puck lately now, too.

Frankly if we're talking about the powerplay that's the first guy I'd try to find a way to get on that top unit over just about anyone currently on it.

Zucker is playing a game to make $$$

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015

Sticking him in front of the net and moving Jake to the bumper seems like such an obvious choice.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker is playing a game to make $$$
I think part of it is just trying to make up for two years of lost time too. Dude's had a miserable time for a long time.

Whether he keeps up his play, remains healthy, or sticks around beyond this season--whatever. It's nice to see a guy genuinely having fun out there nowadays. Feels all too rare anymore for this team. :laugh:

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad