• Sully (timeout)

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Speaking of Crosby, how is he down to 12 goals? NHL.com literally took a goal off of him since last night even though he didn't score tonight and even though his goal in the previous game was his.

Edit: I must be going nuts because I could have sworn his goal against Carolina was his 13th.

Reactions: Gurglesons

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Good win, great to see Kappy score, we will be much better off if he can do that every now and then.

Think this is a great opportunity to bring Smith up and let him play a little on the Powerplay, I personally think he's our best PPQB in the system right now and the way that things been going he could make a difference back there.

He has shown in the past to be a pretty solid PPQB, is Smart and can make plays with the puck on his stick. Passes on the tape pretty well .

Lets see it

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Rust is just horrible right now. I just don't know what's wrong with him....
He's getting chance after chance after chance but he does nothing with the ice time :-(

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

i like Cassidy…he calls it like he sees it, unlike the bland repetitive Sullivan…he called the Pens season “uneven”, which was generous…it’s clear he doesn’t think the Pens are having a good season…lol

Yeah. It is interesting also that he had been with the Bruins for a while, and they were always really good - just not meeting expectations in the playoffs, with injuries to star vets being a part of that.

So, ultimately, the Bruins fanbase started hating on him as much as we do Sully. Vegas are showing with their results that it is not Cassidy who is a bad coach. Boston are showing with their results, that yes, they remain an elite team. But perhaps a new message and fresh air is part of them showing it as much as they are.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Guentzel on the power play. Said once they got in the zone, particularly on the 4-on-3, they took a different approach based on some data the staff pulled.

“Screening attempts when we’re on the power play is something we keep track of now as a team,” he said. “It’s not been good this year. At all. It’s been a real problem, in fact. The numbers have told us that last year, we were a top-five team in the league when it came to screening goaltenders. And this year, for whatever reason, our numbers aren’t good at all. It’s a real problem. So we had to get back to basics.”

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
What would you guys say is a good PP rank for this season, given our roster? I'd say 10th place...? Let's go with that...
We've scored 13 PPGs. The Leafs have scored 19 (10th).
So how many of those 6 missing goals would have actually led to a better record? Think it's fair to say half would be lost to needless insurance goals or goals that wouldn't prevent a regulation loss anyway.

3 goals left. 2 wins and an OT loss let's say, with how garb we are in OT?

5 points in the standings lost because of a poor PP.

Agreed? Fair number, roughly?

Also worth noting we've somehow only given up 2 shorties, which is like mid-pack in the league. 11 teams have given up between 3 and 5. So we're not actually paying the price too bad for poor puck management, from an opposition goal perspective. So much luck involved there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Guentzel on the power play. Said once they got in the zone, particularly on the 4-on-3, they took a different approach based on some data the staff pulled.

“Screening attempts when we’re on the power play is something we keep track of now as a team,” he said. “It’s not been good this year. At all. It’s been a real problem, in fact. The numbers have told us that last year, we were a top-five team in the league when it came to screening goaltenders. And this year, for whatever reason, our numbers aren’t good at all. It’s a real problem. So we had to get back to basics.”

But they can’t even maintain possession long enough to get a shot on net…so…

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin is great. Rust is so bad he’s weighing down the entire roster. A real coach would scratch a dude who has 2 empty net points despite massive ice time over nearly a 15 game sample. But we have Sullysma

I think after the 1st we clearly outplayed Vegas at 5v5 and they got two PP goals in the game.
Since Sullysma is untouchable it means Rust either needs to get traded or he gets fired and the latter won't happen for years. Rust also has a nmc. I hesitate trying Kap with Geno again until Kap has a few more strong games in case Sully f***s with him again. Rust is a paper tiger right now.

Kappy only had 1 shift after his goal
Yeah someone said two but I felt like it might have been one. But that's ridiculous either way.

He had two more shifts after the goal. He had one less shift and 30 seconds less of ice time in the third period than he had in the first period.
Looking at the ice time for players in the game is just...yeah.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Im not from Pittsburgh, but watching the games on tv, the building seems half empty on most nights. Can ticket holders chime in?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Very good effort by the boys, the kind of game that makes you think that if the stars align properly your team can go far. A small part of me wished Vegas had tied it up late just to punish Sully for playing Rust on the top line in the final few minutes. The second line is still a bit of a mess, puts up a lot of shots but most are pretty harmless. At least it's not bleeding goals like the first one was when it was without Rakell. But if Kapanen can put up a few games like that and Rust is still a ghost, his presence in the top 6 will be even more questionable.
Speaking of Rust, he wasn't on PP1 for like twenty seconds and they scored. Yes, I know 4 on 3 is a lot easier but still, food for thought. Not that the rest of the unit isn't making ridiculous errors all the time, mind you. It's downright bizarre how Sid and Geno are working so hard 5 on 5 and then come out and play the laziest hockey possible on the power play.
Also, there was long a 4 on 4, Rust and Geno were up first, then Sid and Jake, and then again Rust and Geno. I know I am harping on this but the favoritism is so glaring. With Zucker going cold, Rakell is our best two-way winger by a huge margin, he has good speed and should be out there a lot at 4 on 4 and 3 on 3.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Im not from Pittsburgh, but watching the games on tv, the building seems half empty on most nights. Can ticket holders chime in?
They're too busy trying to trade Malkin.

People on social media have shared pictures and attendance is an issue.
Which isn't surprising, Pittsburgh loves winning teams. Pittsburgh does not love mediocre or losing teams. And again, nothing wrong with that-- we're a small market, we're not the Habs or the Leafs. It's just a larger symptom of the state of the team and the quality of the play on the ice.

Today's game is pretty interesting so far though, so there's hope.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The team is old, boring, and the new ownership group has done nothing to make fans excited about the team. We have a pathetic front office and a coach who should have been let go no later than 2020.

Also, this city has shown it turns its back on this team when they aren’t very good. I didn’t think the attendance would drop off this quickly, but the Canes game was s ghost town on Tuesday. If it’s this bad in 2022, that arena will be depressing in two years when the team is horrible.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I suspect they will bring back the student rush program at this rate.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The team is old, boring, and the new ownership group has done nothing to make fans excited about the team. We have a pathetic front office and a coach who should have been let go no later than 2020.

Also, this city has shown it turns its back on this team when they aren’t very good. I didn’t think the attendance would drop off this quickly, but the Canes game was s ghost town on Tuesday. If it’s this bad in 2022, that arena will be depressing in two years when the team is horrible.
If the town reverts back to its attendance levels during the X-Gen years where it was mostly us high schoolers buying $20 student rush tickets for lower bowl seats and attendance being around 5,000? We may move this time and head to be the Boston Penguins

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If the town reverts back to its attendance levels during the X-Gen years where it was mostly us high schoolers buying $20 student rush tickets for lower bowl seats and attendance being around 5,000? We may move this time and head to be the Boston Penguins
It doesn’t look good if numbers are already slipping this much while Sid and Geno are still here, and we are relevant - at least in the regular season.

Keeping Hextall and extending Sully sunk this team. We needed a spark, a new voice. Simply re-signing all of the old guys was a lazy strategy. We needed a GM that is afraid of change, one that doesn’t have 45 year rebuild plan. Laziness and ineptitude is very different than patience.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My 2 cents....

- Rust is killing line 2. Malkin can still do some dangles, but needs competent linemates at 36 to succeed.

+ I like POJ. Makes smart plays, and has good instincts. Has a nose for offense, and is serviceable defensively. He's a little clumsy (how many times do I see him falling all over the place), and could probably put on some muscle. He should be training with Letang moving forward (assuming Letang comes back). Really think he's capable of being a solid #3 with more upside as he matures (ie. age 28).

+ GCR...what can I say.

+ Kapanen - hope that goal helped is confidence. He was often still playing low engagement perimeter, but was engaging on occasion which is a step up from his norm.

- 4th-line - they were momentum killers today.

+ Petry - they leaned on him to lead and he seems up to the challenge. He's not as flashy as Letang, but knows how to maximize his impact based on his abilities.

+ Overall team played well, with heart. That's 2 comebacks in a row.

- Our PP sucked (not counting the 4on3 goal), and our SH sucked today too.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Hate to say this, but I don't know how sustainable hockey in Pittsburgh in downtimes. It's easy to sell tickets ith a winning ream. You guys are a fickle bunch :confused:.

The old owners and Mario cashed out, so they are done. Unless Crosby decides to buy the team after retiring, etc etc etc.

Who knows...
Going to enjoy today and worry about tomorrow later :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad