• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah that.
But... looking at ice time for our centers. Chuckles.
I don't mind giving Geno 15 mins in a B2B. Gonna need his legs tomorrow still. He's old. Not who I'd want on the ice necessarily when defending a 1 goal lead anyway. We all saw the Minnesota shorty...
Might take a trademark late game minor too 😱

We're not getting enough PP opportunities lately, and L4 is playing very well. Those things dock his ice time.
I don't like that Carter got more than him though.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I don't mind giving Geno 15 mins in a B2B. Gonna need his legs tomorrow still. He's old. Not who I'd want on the ice necessarily when defending a 1 goal lead anyway. We all saw the Minnesota shorty...
Might take a trademark late game minor too 😱

We're not getting enough PP opportunities lately, and L4 is playing very well. Those things dock his ice time.
I don't like that Carter got more than him though.
I always check the TOI chart after each game and while it usually looks frustrating after a loss, I think there is some truth to your post here.

Limiting Geno's mins could be for a number of reasons, anywhere from conserving his legs to line matchups. I've noticed 71 sees more ice time at home and that makes sense when accounting for home-ice line changes. Sprinkle in a little bit of Sullivan stubbornness and that's your result.

I don't think it's something we should nitpick, especially in the case of a shutout win. As for the trademark minor thing, let's try to not worry about problems before they happen. Malkin has been our most consistent forward this season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I always check the TOI chart after each game and while it usually looks frustrating after a loss, I think there is some truth to your post here.

Limiting Geno's mins could be for a number of reasons, anywhere from conserving his legs to line matchups. I've noticed 71 sees more ice time at home and that makes sense when accounting for home-ice line changes. Sprinkle in a little bit of Sullivan stubbornness and that's your result.

I don't think it's something we should nitpick, especially in the case of a shutout win. As for the trademark minor thing, let's try to not worry about problems before they happen. Malkin has been our most consistent forward this season.
We usually get more PP TOI at home I think. More energy/attacking style and home crowd generates more calls which go our way.
I agree about his consistency this year, but there's also a reason he's averaged 72% O-zone starts for his career. It's more than just his offensive prowess. He's not someone you use to shutdown top players.
Penalties are a valid concern when you're defending a 1 goal lead for close to a full period and running around in the D-zone a lot. He's got 7 minors this year.

I don't think we should turtle for as long as we did today though. It's not a sustainable formula. Your goalie's not always gonna be on fire like Jarry was tonight and the D aren't always gonna be that dialed in. You're eventually gonna get a bad bounce or make a fatal mistake.

I would use Malkin heavily until like 7-8 minutes remain. Get O-zone time and push to extend the lead. Later rely on your top defensive Forwards like Blue, Rakell, McGinn, Crosby (when in the mood), Poehling to close it out. GCR is legitimately good in the dying embers too. It's like they said, Guentzel has the most ENG's of any player in the league the last 3 years or whatever. Sid is reliable as hell at winning battles and getting clears onto Penguin sticks too.

Reactions: Zbynek

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This was sooo yesterday. Today is Geno's day! Locking this up.

penguinbreaks4thwall.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad