Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Jerks | | We scored with the goalie pulled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I will maintain my other post-game comment of "once Rust heats back up, this team will be good".

I like the play of the first line. I don't think there are issues there anymore now that Rakell is back with them. Line 2 has been quiet now, and they were killing it with Raks. With Rust now, the same issues are arising. There is no cohesion right now with Zuck-Malkin and Rust. The plays are "there," but if you look at the positioning and passing, it's all perimeter to perimeter with low-percentage shots being generated. Several times last night, I watch them pass up good shooting lanes for poor shooting lanes. They were moving the puck "well"...but it's not manifesting into anything.

I think this is a team with players that think way, WAY too much. The sooner they simplify, the better.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They're exactly where they should be. Maybe the most optimistic projection would have them third if you think they're better than the Rangers/Isles which they might be.

They are not better than NJ or Carolina. Nobody can tell me that with a straight face. So how much more do you want? We're pretty much where we ought to be.

How about a better PP while icing not 1 or 2, but 3 generational talents?
I understand that's too much to ask out of poor Mikey Sullivan

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Games are so absurdly expensive as is, between all the shit that goes into 'em. Parking, travel, food, tickets themselves, beer, etc. It adds up to be bonkers.
Yeah I'm about $100/game on weekends in upper level for two tickets.... In St. Louis.

But TBF, the Blues are still kind of fun to watch even though their record is about the same as the Pens.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They've had top 10, top 5, and even led the league in PP% a few times throughout the Crosby-Malkin era. They are more than capable of being better than bottom 5 in the league.

Coaching and player personnel are a much bigger issue. Going to a 2-D PP for a game or 2 and then reverting back to what wasn't working isn't coaching. It's being a stubborn ass just like he was with Dumo and GCRu.

Rust should absolutely be off the top PP for Rakell and Zucker in for Guentzel shouldn't be far behind that.
Everyone wants to blame coaching but nobody has a solution beyond swapping peripheral players in and out.

Nobody wants to face the facts that this PP struggles because of its star players.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Everyone wants to blame coaching but nobody has a solution beyond swapping peripheral players in and out.

Nobody wants to face the facts that this PP struggles because of its star players.

Maybe give the PP more options and the star players would utilize those options? If Rakell is on the top unit and he's providing the trio with a one-time option on the left dot, maybe they take that option instead of forcing plays that aren't there.

It's a trickle down effect. It's no different than when Crosby wasn't producing because Rust was dragging down his line. People saying "it's not coaching, it's Crosby has to be better". Well lo and behold he has Rakell there and he's been producing again.

I don't know why people insist the coaches can't do ANYTHING to fix it. The superstars have to do better, but they also need help from the other guys on the ice. And the coaching staff putting Rust on the ice all the time is essentially like expecting the Pens to play 4on4 the entire time instead of actually as though they have a PP.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Games are so absurdly expensive as is, between all the shit that goes into 'em. Parking, travel, food, tickets themselves, beer, etc. It adds up to be bonkers.
I've said this before but I still don't get how for a three hour event... people find the need to eat and drink several beers.
The american way I guess.... not my way, but... eating garbage and wasting money... a way of living for a great many.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Rust immediately tanking every line he goes to kind of pokes a major whole in the "star players just need to player better" theory.

Player usage matters and it's the coach's main responsibility to put the right players in position to succeed. Sullivan and Co. are not doing that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I've said this before but I still don't get how for a three hour event... people find the need to eat and drink several beers.
The american way I guess.... not my way, but... eating garbage and wasting money... a way of living for a great many.
To get really into the nitty gritty...

Everyone dies.

Life is pointless.

Money is arbitrary.

Do whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: LOGiK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe give the PP more options and the star players would utilize those options? If Rakell is on the top unit and he's providing the trio with a one-time option on the left dot, maybe they take that option instead of forcing plays that aren't there.

It's a trickle down effect. It's no different than when Crosby wasn't producing because Rust was dragging down his line. People saying "it's not coaching, it's Crosby has to be better". Well lo and behold he has Rakell there and he's been producing again.

I don't know why people insist the coaches can't do ANYTHING to fix it. The superstars have to do better, but they also need help from the other guys on the ice. And the coaching staff putting Rust on the ice all the time is essentially like expecting the Pens to play 4on4 the entire time instead of actually as though they have a PP.
The trickle down effect was different 5v5 because Crosby and Jake were already doing the things they needed to in order to have success and it was Rust who was causing it all to fail.

There's no one fail point on the PP. It's literally everywhere. The reason swapping Petry in for Rust didn't fix anything is even though Petry was making ok decisions the other four guys still weren't/aren't.

Sullivan isn't going to kick a 40 goal scorer or either of two first ballot Hall of Famers off of pp1. So then, the solution has to be more than just swapping personnel. And it has to be a solution which incorporates the players already on pp1.

Rust immediately tanking every line he goes to kind of pokes a major whole in the "star players just need to player better" theory.

Player usage matters and it's the coach's main responsibility to put the right players in position to succeed. Sullivan and Co. are not doing that.
Again, see my point above though. PP1 isn't a Bryan Rust problem. It's a Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jake Guentzel, Kris Letang, Bryan Rust problem. Get my point? It's everyone, everywhere. It's not one guy. Swapping one guy or even two guys out for two other guys ain't gonna fix anything. It's not that kind of issue.

And more practically, Sullivan isn't going to punt star players off of that unit. No coach would. So there has to be another solution.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
the team being the healthiest it's been in YEARS

91acc5521c2acdd7c77a35d6162f7aee.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

If only the coach could control the personnel and who goes out on the PP! Such a conundrum with no easy solutions!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
To get really into the nitty gritty...

Everyone dies.

Life is pointless.

Money is arbitrary.

Do whatever makes you happy.
In short.... I agree, but also disagree.
That way of thinking, without responsibility, is why people are in such debt and bad health.
*generally speaking. Many counterpoints and counter arguments and hours and hours of talking points can be made to either side just to end up arguing to argue.
But life is short.
Ahhh who cares... :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
"I don’t want to get fined, so I’m not going to talk about it,” Rust said of the deciding play."

Lol, yeah Rust, wouldn't want to lose any of your fat paycheck...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If only the coach could control the personnel and who goes out on the PP! Such a conundrum with no easy solutions!
He can and has. It didn't change anything.

If you're suggesting that he take Crosby, Malkin, or Jake off of pp1 well...I can't think of a faster way for him to lose the room.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He can and has. It didn't change anything.

If you're suggesting that he take Crosby, Malkin, or Jake off of pp1 well...I can't think of a faster way for him to lose the room.

And I can't think of a faster way for us to be bounced in the first round (again).
But I'll save you some keystrokes 5 months from now: we already know you're gonna say it isn't Sully's fault when it happens. We get it

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
"I don’t want to get fined, so I’m not going to talk about it,” Rust said of the deciding play."

Lol, yeah Rust, wouldn't want to lose any of your fat paycheck...

Somehow Rust apparently hasn't been a Penguin long enough to know that ANY cheap shot against someone wearing that particular sweater, no matter how severe the hit, and no matter what the circumstances of the game are at the time, is capable of being deliberately ignored (and nearly always IS ignored) by the Game Managers.

Just play.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Since powerplays are only 2 minutes that is and always has been a horrible idea. Two lesser units will never be better than one good one.
I don't know, I bet a group of competent cooks with one superstar leading them, would cook a much better meal then a group of Superstars all wanting to be the center of attention.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't know, I bet a group of competent cooks with one superstar leading them, would cook a much better meal then a group of Superstars all wanting to be the center of attention.

I don't have the time or energy to go back to the Rags playoff loss, but I believe the 2nd PP unit outscored the 1st unit with like 75% less ice time/opportunity

Reactions: RSPens

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
And I can't think of a faster way for us to be bounced in the first round (again).
But I'll save you some keystrokes 5 months from now: we already know you're gonna say it isn't Sully's fault when it happens. We get it
Lol. Nah. Nice try putting words in my mouth though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My apologies. I thought you were going to be consistent with your approach. You were a fervent Sully defender in the other thread. Has your opinion on him changed?
Changed? No. I think he's a good coach overall. He's not without his flaws. I don't think he's bullet proof. I've criticized a number of his decisions. I've said Rakell should be on pp1. It's a mistake to not do that. I also dislike the way he deploys Jeff Carter, and have at times disliked his d-pairings.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Changed? No. I think he's a good coach overall. He's not without his flaws. I don't think he's bullet proof. I've criticized a number of his decisions. I've said Rakell should be on pp1. It's a mistake to not do that. I also dislike the way he deploys Jeff Carter, and have at times disliked his d-pairings.

Outside of Rakell not being on PP1, are you defending his PP tactics or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad