Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Jerks | | We scored with the goalie pulled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Any post saying fire Sullivan without addressing his system and instead commenting on lineup decisions is suspect, lazy and amateur.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
What other way to slice it other than saying a "PP system" running 29th in the league flat out sucks?

Power Play has little to do with the coach. It sucks because of the guys on the first unit.

Burn Rust on a cross in front of PPG. Rackell's contributions might only help slightly.

You fire coaches over 5 on 5 play not the Power Play. I wasn't born yesterday.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The trickle down effect was different 5v5 because Crosby and Jake were already doing the things they needed to in order to have success and it was Rust who was causing it all to fail.

There's no one fail point on the PP. It's literally everywhere. The reason swapping Petry in for Rust didn't fix anything is even though Petry was making ok decisions the other four guys still weren't/aren't.

Sullivan isn't going to kick a 40 goal scorer or either of two first ballot Hall of Famers off of pp1. So then, the solution has to be more than just swapping personnel. And it has to be a solution which incorporates the players already on pp1.

But you're ignoring the fact that Rust being on the PP essentially means it's 4on4 and that the number of passing options available to Sid/Geno are lessened by one.

I know this is an extreme example, but let's say you swapped Rust for Ovechkin on the Caps' PP. That means that one dangerous option currently available to their playmakers is no longer an option. So instead of moving it around to set up an open Ovechkin for a one-timer from the left dot, they instead force plays in close that aren't there or they just pass it back and forth between each other hoping that a shot option opens up, but never does.

The entire point of a potent PP is you have 1 extra man, which enables you to work the puck around to essentially find an open man that the PK can't cover. With Rust on the top unit, there is no "open man". The PK can essentially each take a man 1on1 and not have to worry about that open shot from the left dot.

If Sullivan EVER tries Rakell on the top unit for a stretch of, say, 4 or 5 games and the results are the exact same, then I'll 100% put the blame on the players. But until that point, I'm not going to let the coach off the hook for something he still has options to try and simply refuses to.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No. Just no mate.

Actually let me add more to this - most felt the same about John Marino. The problem isn't the player. It rarely is with this team. It's the coach and the usage.

You lot would happily shit all over a player like Kapanen while a coach that advocated for Jack Johnson isn't seen as the real issue.

Ffs.

Before you say he's just a coach, he doesn't have that much power. He really does have that much power on this roster. The owners would fire Hextall before they fired Sullivan and if you don't think that's ridiculous, I dunno what else to say but enjoy the snow outside mate.
I said in the past we should get a new coach before we start wheeling and dealing because players tend to play much better once they are gone from this team. I shit all over the 1st round pick we traded for Kapanen. I still hate trading that pick for him today. At least we aren't the Flames though, they trade players and they play so much better, once they go to Calgary they stink.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I thought Rust looked better at ES tonight, but "better" still isn't good.

Geno's line generates a lot of low quality chances. Sid's line is super high-event both ways. Carter...well, McGinn's playing well at least.

I really liked POJ's game again. He was the standout tonight for me.
This is a darn good observation, they really do.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Games are so absurdly expensive as is, between all the shit that goes into 'em. Parking, travel, food, tickets themselves, beer, etc. It adds up to be bonkers.
Eat before or after the game? If you aren’t lazy, you can park around grant street for $10. Also, why do you have to drink beer for 2.5 hours? If money is tight, why drink any beer there?

It is bonkers that people complain about having to spend money on this stuff when they don’t have to buy any of it. I don’t eat there because I eat healthy. I’m not wasting calories on the garbage there.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Eat before or after the game? If you aren’t lazy, you can park around grant street for $10. Also, why do you have to drink beer for 2.5 hours? If money is tight, why drink any beer there?

It is bonkers that people complain about having to spend money on this stuff when they don’t have to buy any of it. I don’t eat there because I eat healthy. I’m not wasting calories on the garbage there.

Park at a garage for $5 and take the T to Steel Plaza. Get liquored up before going in the arena.

Also, just saw some tweets that last night's attendance was under 16k. Oof.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
But you're ignoring the fact that Rust being on the PP essentially means it's 4on4 and that the number of passing options available to Sid/Geno are lessened by one.

I know this is an extreme example, but let's say you swapped Rust for Ovechkin on the Caps' PP. That means that one dangerous option currently available to their playmakers is no longer an option. So instead of moving it around to set up an open Ovechkin for a one-timer from the left dot, they instead force plays in close that aren't there or they just pass it back and forth between each other hoping that a shot option opens up, but never does.

The entire point of a potent PP is you have 1 extra man, which enables you to work the puck around to essentially find an open man that the PK can't cover. With Rust on the top unit, there is no "open man". The PK can essentially each take a man 1on1 and not have to worry about that open shot from the left dot.

If Sullivan EVER tries Rakell on the top unit for a stretch of, say, 4 or 5 games and the results are the exact same, then I'll 100% put the blame on the players. But until that point, I'm not going to let the coach off the hook for something he still has options to try and simply refuses to.
I think we're arriving at the same conclusion here. I said Rakell should be tried on the PP, and in place of Rust.

I ultimately think the change that needs to come needs to come from the other four guys on the PP. Rust has been trash but let's not sugar coat it: Sid, Geno, Letang, and Jake have all been as bad or worse at times. It's a unit-wide effort of suck.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
The Pens identity for the cups was basically MJ being fired and Sully being hired and the team being mad. Then the real Sully settled in and it meant he neutered everything about that mad team. Went from "cardiac kids" sort of team to "what the hell are they doing?!" Real quick and that's been the identity ever since.
Good point. A mad team, with a chip on its shoulder, doesn't meander, conferencing on the boards in OT, waiting for a non-existent call while a 2 on 0 develops. That play personifies the entitled sense this team has developed.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

You will never be a real person to me, no matter how many times you break your facade

Reactions: Gurglesons

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think we're arriving at the same conclusion here. I said Rakell should be tried on the PP, and in place of Rust.

I ultimately think the change that needs to come needs to come from the other four guys on the PP. Rust has been trash but let's not sugar coat it: Sid, Geno, Letang, and Jake have all been as bad or worse at times. It's a unit-wide effort of suck.
zucker instead of Jake and good PPQB and we are golden, Zucker and Rkell will hustle for 50 50 pucks, Rakell is a threat from taht left wall and he also pushes defense to collapse and lanes opens

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Looking at the standings, would have been really nice to have an extra point.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
zucker instead of Jake and good PPQB and we are golden, Zucker and Rkell will hustle for 50 50 pucks, Rakell is a threat from taht left wall and he also pushes defense to collapse and lanes opens

Zucker is also fast which helps with entries.

Our guys are SLOW and that both hinders the dump and chase and the "drive and pull up" entries. That's why we end up with the lateral 10 foot pass on the blue line which doesn't work half the time. The only guy before who is (was) fast was Letang and he's also a spazz and also can't get too far past the blue line for fear of chances going the other way.

I harp on entries because I think the guys' lack of confidence in re-entering the zone leads to analysis-paralysis on the in-zone play. They seek the perfect shot/play because they have no confidence in re-entering if the play doesn't work out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's still funny to me that the only reason the team got 1pt is because Jarry had the sense to wait before he went off while Sullivan wanted him off sooner which handcuffed the Canes trying for the ENG.

If that doesn't tell you how stupid this coach is, ignoring all the other warts...I dunno what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad