Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Isles: Its over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
lol, way to prove my point. Sully played his boy then MAF went on to bring an expansion team to the SCF and win a Vezina while MM blew shit and literally didn't even play in the NHL this year.
I love the part where you conveniently left out that MM carried us to 2 Cup wins.

Your takes on Tristan Jarry are insano buddy

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jarry wasn't normally like this but he did do that this year. Hockey Reference defines a "really bad start" as a start below an .850 save%, Jarry had 5 in 47 starts last year but had 12 in 48 starts this year.

Jarry was really weird this year. Of his 48 starts, 29 of them were quality starts and 12 of them were really bad starts. 60% of his starts were good or better games, 25% of his starts were horrendous games and the other 15% would be in the mediocre/poor range.
"Jarry was really weird this year" yet.. in the Jarry re-signed 5 years thread, 80% of the people on here acknowledged this is exactly what would happen

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It says that Sully played his favorite. TJ is the better goalie and always will be. It'll be fun to see him have a great season on a new team next year and Ned f***ing blow for the Pens.

Christ, the love this fanbase will give to any mediocre guy who isn't the starter is f***ing amazing.
You’re talking about people not showing love to the starter? You’re the same person who legit bitched and moaned about Matt Murray everytime the puck hit the back of the net when he was the starter instead of Fleury lol. Jarry will have a terrific first half, like he always does and then he will start to suck in the second half, like he always does. He’s not a good goalie

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
You’re talking about people not showing love to the starter? You’re the same person who legit bitched and moaned about Matt Murray everytime the puck hit the back of the net when he was the starter instead of Fleury lol. Jarry will have a terrific first half, like he always does and then he will start to suck in the second half, like he always does. He’s not a good goalie
It's just odd a goalie can be great only 1/2 the games. Maybe he just can't handle the workload and starts showing it the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

If he were making around 3M, I'd consider keeping him with on a true 1A/1B tandem.

If we can't trade him in the off-season, trade him before he turns into a pumpkin mid-season :D.

---
I didn't even watch the Isles games, one of the few games I missed. We get Isles/Rangers/Devils black-outs here, and I couldn't be bothered working around it to catch the game.

It's going to be a loooong spring/summer :(.
---

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
It's just odd a goalie can be great only 1/2 the games. Maybe he just can't handle the workload and starts showing it the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

If he were making around 3M, I'd consider keeping him with on a true 1A/1B tandem.

If we can't trade him in the off-season, trade him before he turns into a pumpkin mid-season :D.

---
I didn't even watch the Isles games, one of the few games I missed. We get Isles/Rangers/Devils black-outs here, and I couldn't be bothered working around it to catch the game.

It's going to be a loooong spring/summer :(.
---
It's not odd or perplexing, he's a mental midget which is the worst thing you can be at the goalie position. Shades of MAF.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
They did it guys. They freakin did it. 30th in the league on the PP. I knew they could get there. Todd Reirdon is a genius.
1713449431706.png

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not having a starting goaltender this year didn't help. They spent $5 million a season on a guy we all knew was a big mistake. The dude is fragile and mentally soft. We've been dealing with that at the goaltender position since the early 2000s. Shame.
our goaltenders may not be the best but until we start playing defense there is no reason to think any change will last more than a few games.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
It's not odd or perplexing, he's a mental midget which is the worst thing you can be at the goalie position. Shades of MAF.
MAF used to fall apart in the playoffs. That's a gated event, with stress/pressure going up.

What mental issue causes Jarry to split the 1/2 and last 1/2 of the season? I mean...pressure doesn't really go up.

I'm really believing it's workload. He's probably a goalie that can only play 40 games a season.

They did it guys. They freakin did it. 30th in the league on the PP. I knew they could get there. Todd Reirdon is a genius.
View attachment 854421
Yeah...couldn't have gotten that extra point over Philly without it! Great job everyone!

Last edited:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The Flyers having a PP efficiency that is 3 percentage points worse than even ours is mighty impressive, I have to say. Maybe they can hire Reirden and actually improve it a bit.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
MAF used to fall apart in the playoffs. That's a gated event, with stress/pressure going up.

What mental issue causes Jarry to split the 1/2 and last 1/2 of the season? I mean...pressure doesn't really go up.

I'm really believing it's workload. He's probably a goalie that can only play 40 games a season.

Yeah...couldn't have gotten that extra point over Philly without it! Great job everyone!
Which means TJ is just a very good backup. He can play great in short stretches, maybe half a season, making him a 1B.

Not good enough to be a teams full-time starter in net.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Which means TJ is just a very good backup. He can play great in short stretches, maybe half a season, making him a 1B.

Not good enough to be a teams full-time starter in net.
That's what I said 2 posts ago :D:
==============

================

A lot of moving parts....
If we don't need the Jarry cap space (say $2M over another goalie), then I'd be fine going in with a 1A/1B duo with Ned/Jarry, as long as they both understand that Jarry isn't the starter.

What I would not want to do is move Jarry as a cap dump (wasting assets), unless of course, we need the $2M for a bigger move.

We just got back $3M+ from Carter, so that's something! I'd prioritize getting rid of Neito/Acciari/Graves over Jarry.

A lot of this comes down to what the market has to offer.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I will say, the emotional, "shut out the lights, its time to go home" tone from last night's game about Carter was something my mind grafted on to the vast majority of players out there.

Like I dont want to sound like a debbie downer, but in my mind, the futility of going out there in a meaningless dead rubber game, just felt like it was symbolic for the whole core. Like, what we saw with Carter, we're on the cusp of, certainly for the core three. A bunch of "vibes" games where the result isnt important.

Mentally, I have come to accept this fact long ago. The ride would stop spinning one day, and we'd just be sitting there and get stepped on by the rest of the league. Last night, though, brought it into focus for me. Just left me with a melancholic feeling, like the end is already here for some of these franchise heroes. Like, as if our best shot to do something, anything of note, just evaporated this year. It was sad. And I am pretty thankful that there wont be another Penguin game for months.

Hazed Yoshi

Apr 13, 2023
Mentally, I have come to accept this fact long ago. The ride would stop spinning one day, and we'd just be sitting there and get stepped on by the rest of the league. Last night, though, brought it into focus for me. Just left me with a melancholic feeling, like the end is already here for some of these franchise heroes. Like, as if our best shot to do something, anything of note, just evaporated this year. It was sad. And I am pretty thankful that there wont be another Penguin game for months.
Feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad