Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Isles: Its over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They've been running the same shitty umbrella with predictable drop pass for years now so I mean what coaching is happening for that PP?

Or if Reirden/Sullivan are trying to change things, clearly the message isn't getting through.

The PP alone is cassus belli to fire this entire coaching staff.

I put 75% of the blame of the shitty powerplay on Rierden. Sullivan and the players aren't innocent with it, but the overwhelming culprit of the shit powerplay is Rierden.

Considering Rierden had the title of "associate coach", I wouldn't be surprised if Sullivan delegated all powerplay responsibility to him. Which is a failure by Sullivan with Rierden being such an idiot, but that doesn't change that the powerplay was Rierden's responsibility.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They've been running the same shitty umbrella with predictable drop pass for years now so I mean what coaching is happening for that PP?

Or if Reirden/Sullivan are trying to change things, clearly the message isn't getting through.

The PP alone is cassus belli to fire this entire coaching staff.
Entries are dog shit too. And the chances against frequently outnumbering the chances for.

We tend to score PP goals in spite of ourselves. Like it’ll be on a counter-attack after giving up 3 point-blank chances against.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I just don’t think either goalie was particularly better or worse.

View attachment 854186

That’s not saying much since Jarry makes like 3x what Nedeljkovic does, but I still don’t see Jarry as an issue.
Feel like with TJ, he either gives you a brilliant shutout or he gives up 5 and the game is over before it even starts. Ned will at least keep you in the game most of the time. That’s just how it feels to me.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
FCm.gif
4b583498-2dda-4fc1-97d6-ea97b2a43d4a_text.gif

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I put 75% of the blame of the shitty powerplay on Rierden. Sullivan and the players aren't innocent with it, but the overwhelming culprit of the shit powerplay is Rierden.

Considering Rierden had the title of "associate coach", I wouldn't be surprised if Sullivan delegated all powerplay responsibility to him. Which is a failure by Sullivan with Rierden being such an idiot, but that doesn't change that the powerplay was Rierden's responsibility.
Even if you're Dubas and you decide to lay the PP at Reirden's feet you've still got the issues of poor defensive structure, inability to hold leads, and pisspoor finishing.

Maybe replacing Todd Reirden fixes the PP to a degree but does that even matter if the other issues still persist (and they will as long as Sully is here)?

For me it's all or nothing. Either you replace this entire coaching staff or the absolute ceiling for this team next year is a first round exit

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
Gees the Pens go on a little hot streak at the end when most teams are already in the playoffs and now people on here think a little changes and the Pens will be in the playoffs next year. Good god this team is done done done. Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild already.
If by fixing the power play is a little change, then that's all they needed this year and they would've easily clinched 3rd in the metro.

They WILL NOT rebuild until Sid and probably the "core" is gone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Feel like with TJ, he either gives you a brilliant shutout or he gives up 5 and the game is over before it even starts. Ned will at least keep you in the game most of the time. That’s just how it feels to me.

Jarry wasn't normally like this but he did do that this year. Hockey Reference defines a "really bad start" as a start below an .850 save%, Jarry had 5 in 47 starts last year but had 12 in 48 starts this year.

Jarry was really weird this year. Of his 48 starts, 29 of them were quality starts and 12 of them were really bad starts. 60% of his starts were good or better games, 25% of his starts were horrendous games and the other 15% would be in the mediocre/poor range.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If by fixing the power play is a little change, then that's all they needed this year and they would've easily clinched 3rd in the metro.

They WILL NOT rebuild until Sid and probably the "core" is gone.

Yeah if their powerplay was as good as it should be on paper, they'd have like an additional 25 goals this year. That's about an extra 8 points in the standings and has them in the playoffs.

Hell, even 25 goals may be a low estimate. Adding 25 PP goals to their team would have them at 63 PP goals, which is only tied for 5th.

Reactions: FlyingPenguin

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
It's just clear as day, you watch any ANY other team in the league on the PP or PK and they're just miles more efficient
We can talk about the shitty coaching on the power play, and the lack of a net front presence for much of the year, and both are true. But in my view, the major problem is that both Karlsson and Letang suck as PP QB's. Opposing teams know where the weakness is, which is why you see them pressure the points at almost every opportunity. The problem is compounded when Malkin is at the other point, as he simply isn't a good enough puck handler/distributor, and he coughs the puck up way too much.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
The Red Sox have stunk for years and still have Alex Cora as manager (they even brought him back after he got suspended for the Astros stuff) so keeping managers/coaches well past their expiration date is a FSG staple.

• Wow
Reactions: Rudy Russo

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
While it would have been nauseating to even contemplate Jeff Carter on this team next year, I wish him the best from here on out and props to the Islanders for a classy move at the end of the game.
Letting him score? ……….just kidding

Reactions: Victor Z

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I didn't watch the game because duh but gotta wonder why we started Ned. He doesn't believe in rest or something? :)

The Islanders finishing third in the Metro while having the worst PK in the league and a 20th ranked power play just goes to show how astonishingly weak the division was. And we still ended up fifth and very nearly managed to fall to sixth even.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad