Not open for further replies.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Penguins vs. Blackhawks|12:30|February 15, 2015|CITY & NBC

:pens VS. :hawks

Date: February 15, 2015
Time: 12:30 ET
TV: City TV (Canada), NBC (USA), TVA Sports (Canada, French)

Penguins lineups:

6930718db472a6c8ba85e9dd57f31648.png

47b28016b311d20775fb9afb19ea6d5e.png

78bd0162fe198b801bab3b8a219c1ed4.png

Starting goaltenders:

78c0aeb6a34bb1a16de61b5803a16f5c.png

Stats:

c1704b442bf38f10e4bd39c97c0d8458.png

341db99da26b3106fe697d9987076523.png

01d3c67d7bd40e4a42c216c6446559ff.png

692c9b3a71b674168be51f1453d0cbe8.png

a3103d745ba4957972610f4e31089439.png

84fb4454610bbd4315018298b7e397b9.png

Preview: (From nhl.com)

CHICAGO – The Pittsburgh Penguins might not know the exact numbers, but it comes as no surprise to them that Chicago Blackhawks right wing Marian Hossa is sizzling right now.

Hossa, 36, has seven goals and one assist in the past four games for the Blackhawks, who play host the Penguins at United Center on Sunday (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC, TVA, City). The former Penguins forward, who helped Pittsburgh make it to the 2008 Stanley Cup Final, nearly scored an eighth in Chicago's 3-1 victory Friday against the New Jersey Devils.

Goalie Cory Schneider made a save on Hossa's shot but it quickly became an assist when Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews – who centers Hossa's line – put the rebound into the net for a 2-1 lead in the third period.

Toews has two assists to go with that goal in the past four games and left wing Brandon Saad has two goals and three assists in the previous five game for the Blackhawks' top line combination.

"You get yourself in trouble if you try and do too much while they're on the ice," Penguins coach Mike Johnston said after practice in Chicago on Saturday. "You've got to manage the puck. I thought their line was really dangerous [Friday]. Hossa was really skating. They're the type of team, though, with their depth and the way their [defensemen] play, you've got to make sure like we did last time we played them that in all areas of the game we defend well."

The Blackhawks beat the Penguins 3-2 in a shootout in the only other game between the two this season. That game was at Consol Energy Center on Jan. 21 in the final game for each team heading into the All-Star break.

Hossa had a goal and an assist in that game, as well.

"If we defend well, we'll get our offensive chances, but we have to defend well," Johnston said. "That has to be our mindset."

He doesn't mean just the top line for the Blackhawks either. The second line is led by right wing Patrick Kane, who has 63 points (27 goals) to lead the NHL in scoring. Kane's line is centered by skilled veteran Brad Richards (nine goals, 21 assists) and has Kris Versteeg (28 points in 36 games) at left wing.

"It's always a challenge [facing Kane]," Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said. :You've always got to keep your eye on him to see where he's at, and for a goalie he's very unpredictable. It's tough to know what he's going to do, but I think we did alright against him last game, so we'll try to do the same thing."

Chicago should have a few concerns of its own with Penguins captain Sidney Crosby (19 goals, 39 assists) centering Pittsburgh's top line and Evgeni Malkin (21 goals, 32 assists) in the middle of the second forward group.

Crosby scored two goals and Malkin had one in the Penguins' 5-4 shootout win at the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, so they're not exactly cold. They were also without five lineup regulars the first time they faced Chicago, including Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang.

All are expected to play Sunday, so the Blackhawks will also need a strong effort to extend their string of games with a point to six.

"It's a good team coming in," Kane said. :They're playing well right now and a different team than we faced before the All-Star break with a couple players coming back. It'll be a good test."

Neither team held a morning skate, but both held practices Saturday in Chicago.

The Blackhawks could get veteran defenseman Michal Rozsival back after he missed the previous game with an upper-body injury, while Pittsburgh will again be without defenseman Christian Ehrhoff – who didn't take contact in practice Saturday and skated on his own Sunday morning.

Penguins defenseman Paul Martin didn't practice Saturday because of an undisclosed injury, but will play. Goalie Corey Crawford will start for Chicago and Marc-Andre Fleury will start for Pittsburgh.

Status report: Erixon practiced Saturday after missing the three previous days with a lower-body injury. … Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said Hartman, a rookie from the Chicago area, will play his second NHL game. That most likely means either Ben Smith or Daniel Carcillo will be a healthy scratch.

Who's hot: Crosby has four goals and three assists in the past seven games, while Letang has a 12 points (one goal) in nine games since sitting out against the Blackhawks. … Kane has five goals and seven assists in the past nine games.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
not really sure why they aren't reuniting downie-sutter-bennett, other than ksb it was the only time sutter has looked acceptable all year

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Another day in the Penguin season. I was on the way home from the gfs and listened to Bourque/Lange. They were telling it like it is. Inconsistent. They talked about the powerplay and Borque said Tocchet is in their ear about keeping it simple/movement, but the players aren't doing it. Then PB said "Sometimes you can only coach so much and then the players are going to do what they want to do."

If that's the case...then bench people who aren't doing what you want them to do. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Another day in the Penguin season. I was on the way home from the gfs and listened to Bourque/Lange. They were telling it like it is. Inconsistent. They talked about the powerplay and Borque said Tocchet is in their ear about keeping it simple/movement, but the players aren't doing it. Then PB said "Sometimes you can only coach so much and then the players are going to do what they want to do."

If that's the case...then bench people who aren't doing what you want them to do. :laugh:

Coach Sid is NOT benching Player Sid.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
@ CHI
v WSH
v CBJ
@ STL
v FLA
@ WSH
v CBJ
@ COL
@ ANA
@ LA
@ SJ
v EDM
@ BOS
v DET

Those are the Pens' next 14 games. This is the stretch that determines their regular season success. Obviously anything can happen once they make the playoffs, but this is the stretch of games I'm scrutinizing. They're relatively healthy. No more excuses.

I wouldn't be shocked if they posted a great record during this stretch. I wouldn't be shocked if they went 1-13.

Let's see who and what this team is.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
you can yank sid off a pp shift

and i guarantee it would work. you know he would come out determined the next shift. but they're afraid for some reason

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I mean.. you have Geno/Letang/Sid all signed long-term. I would think about it. I would take someone off the PP and send a huge message.

That's coaching.

I'm taking Sid off.

For the last 3 years, he's made stupid ****ing passes that have killed us in mostly every game

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sid isn't the biggest issue on the PP, shouldn't be the first one disciplined.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean.. you have Geno/Letang/Sid all signed long-term. I would think about it. I would take someone off the PP and send a huge message.

That's coaching.

Of course it is, and the Pens lack it.

For further explanation, reference the same chapter where you'll find 'Kunitz attached to Crosby's hip'.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You think other players wouldn't notice? And than step up?

eh...

I would rather just discipline the issues as they come. Letang is a hot mess on the PP. I'm not teaching him a lesson by benching Sid. I'm teaching him a lesson by benching Letang.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Personally I never said he was, but definitely something to think about:

1) It would send the biggest message
2) You COULD make an argument for Sid being one of the biggest issues on that powerplay.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
who is? i don't think letang is playing below his capability like sid is

Letang

1) doesn't shoot and when he does, hesitates and then fires into bodies or misses completely because he's now trying to thread the needle

2) can't make a pass for a one-timer to save his life

3) has a slow decision making process

Once the puck goes to him, the entire process gets complicated, because he's making bad, slow decisions.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
eh...

I would rather just discipline the issues as they come. Letang is a hot mess on the PP. I'm not teaching him a lesson by benching Sid. I'm teaching him a lesson by benching Letang.

I'd be down to bench both tbh.

Perron-Geno-Horny
Pouliot-Martin

Its not as sexy, but it'll get results

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Actually, I'd put Malkin on the list, but I'm not unsure that being a discombobulated **** who spends half the time as decoy and the other half deferring to everyone isn't what his role on the PP is supposed to be.

If it were otherwise, then the Pens would be running the inverse of the Caps PP . . . running it on the left and isolating Malkin all over the right for one timers.

As for other issues, I'd appreciate if Letang could shoot the puck 1/10th as well as you need a PP point defenseman to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad