Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Caps| Loss | Its fine, fine, no really, its fine (Mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It wasn’t a good move because they scored on the empty net. If we scored it would have been the correct move, but alas , we did not and made the incorrect move of not scoring.

Seriously though, what a bizarre thing to be mad about. It was a very normal time to pull the goalie.

I'd argue we should've pulled the goalie quicker tbh.

The finishing on this squad is just bizarre and that is 100% part of Sullivan's system. He has preached "quality over quantity" before and it was a big part fo their adjustments in 2017. This team can not help itself from trying to find the perfect shot and I think it is severely hampering volume guys like Zucker and Rakell.

Reactions: Pens x

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think Sully know what the issues are, I just think his fault is that he thinks the players he has can right this ship, and play the way he wants them to play...we need to pay attention to detauls....how do you make your team to pay attention to details? practice? benching? anything?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
another coaching thing...you play well 2 periods than third period comes and Caps has 11 shots attempts in the first 4 minutes, so if you are coach do you just seat there and hope the players turn things around or you make a move, call a time out, chnage the lines, whisper in ears on the bench...anything?

Reactions: Icarium and Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I noticed that Zucker did not play F1 out there, mostly held the wall on the weak side, which tells me that he is not fit yet, that L2 needs him to be the guy that chase the dman high up...

anyways...this game just confirmed to me that we can't do anything anymore cause our defense is really bad...I mean all six except maybe Matheson and some good offensive plays by Letang, but by an large they suck so bad....our GA% is mirage and was because when we played without Sid and Geno our forwards were checking so hard and keeping the puck from them....

Caps turned the table tonight in the third when they start dumping puck behind our dman...we are screwed when they have to retreat...

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's crazy, this team was what, fighting for sole position of 3rd in the East?

Now they're sitting 7th while looking like absolute dog shit in their last 4 games. There's no chance they finish above the Rangers at this point and I don't know if they sit higher than 7th either with what we've seen.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's crazy, this team was what, fighting for sole position of 3rd in the East?

Now they're sitting 7th while looking like absolute dog shit in their last 4 games.
That's them breaks. I remember Isles sucking down the stretch and made it to round 3? Maybe Pens need to focus on playing a f***in clean game from here on out...like play tight D like we used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd argue we should've pulled the goalie quicker tbh.

The finishing on this squad is just bizarre and that is 100% part of Sullivan's system. He has preached "quality over quantity" before and it was a big part fo their adjustments in 2017. This team can not help itself from trying to find the perfect shot and I think it is severely hampering volume guys like Zucker and Rakell.
I don't.

The Capitals controlled most of this game which tells you just how whacky the game was. They poured 40+ on Jarry and in the third, they lead 19-7 in shots, in a game like that, unless your team is turning the corner in that third for puck possession, you don't pull your goalie while being down 1 goal. I knew the moment he did, even on the powerplay, the Caps were going to score and nailed it twice.

Capitals kept coming back at the Pens and the Pens kept turning into a bigger mess after their goals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Sully know what the issues are, I just think his fault is that he thinks the players he has can right this ship, and play the way he wants them to play...we need to pay attention to detauls....how do you make your team to pay attention to details? practice? benching? anything?
I don't.

The Capitals controlled most of this game which tells you just how whacky the game was. They poured 40+ on Jarry and in the third, they lead 19-7 in shots, in a game like that, unless your team is turning the corner in that third for puck possession, you don't pull your goalie while being down 1 goal. I knew the moment he did, even on the powerplay, the Caps were going to score and nailed it twice.

Capitals kept coming back at the Pens and the Pens kept turning into a bigger mess after their goals.

Usually when you pull the goalie the other team scores.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's them breaks. I remember Isles sucking dick down the stretch and made it to round 3? Maybe Pens need to focus on playing a f***in clean game from here on out...like play tight D like we used to.
I don't see it happening. Sullivan has coachedt his team to 3 straight first round exits in the last 4yrs. I don't see any of that changing unless Crosby and Malkin somehow find prime versions of themselves for 2 months.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I didn't see the game. How bad was it?
It wasn’t that bad. I thought they did a decent job controlling the play for the most part. Wasn’t a strong game from TJ, and I think someone pissed the refs off at some point because they swallowed their whistles for the Craps. You probably win that game more often than not.

Reactions: Pancakes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Usually when you pull the goalie the other team scores.
Usually when the other team is out shooting you at almost 3:1, you don't pull your goalie and hope to score on the ensuing powerplay or at the least, finish the game strong.

They limped to the end in this one, like they have in their past 4 games.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I feel like I'm in Groundhog's Day the movie every year. Legit. Team goes on a run in like January, everyone talks all this shit like "Shades of '16! More depth than we've ever had!" and people want to award Sully the Jack Adams. Fast forward to April and May and everyone gets pale and their jaw drops as all the color drains from their face and they realize this team is still, in fact, extremely mediocre and has no shot at a Cup.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This goes back to player usage, something I think most fans can agree on that Sully has not been up to snuff on.
I think Sullivan could ease some different voices in the bench with him. No coach can pay attention to everything, and I remain underwhelmed by Todd Reirden and Mike Vellucci, both of whom were hired by Rutherford.

I never thought Reirden was a good coach, especially as a head coach. He's had some occasional success with the power play, but his work with the defensemen doesn't seem to be making an impact. Marino, Pettersson and Dumoulin have all regressed under him.

And what does Vellucci provide? The PK had a strong start this year, but it's back to just above average now. And it's not like any forwards are thriving under him. Rodrigues was it and he's been trash.

All coaches need support and I don't think Sullivan has had enough support. Firing Martin and Gonchar was a mistake, and they never adequately replaced Tocchet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I noticed that Zucker did not play F1 out there, mostly held the wall on the weak side, which tells me that he is not fit yet, that L2 needs him to be the guy that chase the dman high up...

anyways...this game just confirmed to me that we can't do anything anymore cause our defense is really bad...I mean all six except maybe Matheson and some good offensive plays by Letang, but by an large they suck so bad....our GA% is mirage and was because when we played without Sid and Geno our forwards were checking so hard and keeping the puck from them....

Caps turned the table tonight in the third when they start dumping puck behind our dman...we are screwed when they have to retreat...
But every team knows this about the Pens. Caps were lying in wait to change tactics. And why can’t our coach do that?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
This team is so unlikable. It's such a vanilla team with almost no offensive creativity that relies on the other team's goalie letting in softies in order for it to score.

We’ve been an unlikeable bunch for a few years now. I’ve said it before.

We’ve a far cry from who we were in the ‘08 Cup Loss and ‘09 Cup Win team days for sure.

I loved those rosters.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just say who you’d want? Easy question.

I mean, I don't know enough about any sort of up and coming AHL guys or current assistants who'd make good head coaches? I doubt anyone could name "Mike Sullivan" when people asked name names when Bylsma/Johnston needed replacing. Didn't make their point about Bylsma/Johnston needing to be replaced any less relevant.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Sullivan could ease some different voices in the bench with him. No coach can pay attention to everything, and I remain underwhelmed by Todd Reirden and Mike Vellucci, both of whom were hired by Rutherford.

I never thought Reirden was a good coach, especially as a head coach. He's had some occasional success with the power play, but his work with the defensemen doesn't seem to be making an impact. Marino, Pettersson and Dumoulin have all regressed under him.

And what does Vellucci provide? The PK had a strong start this year, but it's back to just above average now. And it's not like any forwards are thriving under him. Rodrigues was it and he's been trash.

All coaches need support and I don't think Sullivan has had enough support. Firing Martin and Gonchar was a mistake, and they never adequately replaced Tocchet.

PK is 2nd since March no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad