GDT: Pens vs Canucks 2000EST: Time to slice up some Orca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
myowxxm6io1wkjzbemi7.png

The Penguins begin their west coast trip tonight in Vancouver as they take on the Canucks at 10:00 PM ET.

The game will be available to watch locally on SportsNet Pittsburgh and nationally on ESPN+. Fans can listen to the game on the Penguins app and on 105.9 the X.

Team Records: PIT (26-21-8) VAN (38-16-6)

The Canucks are 20-5-2 at home this season, and they most recently defeated the Boston Bruins, 3-2, in overtime. Both Brock Boeser (3G-3A-6 Pts.) and J.T. Miller (5G-4A-9 Pts.) enter tonight's game on four-game point streaks. Vancouver has the league's sixth best power play unit when at home (26.0%). J.T. Miller leads the team in points (79), while Brock Boeser leads them in goals (33), and Quinn Hughes (58) leads Vancouver in assists.

Game Notes

Pittsburgh is 12-9-2 against Western Conference opponents this season.

The Penguins own an overall record of 381-87-45 when both Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin record a point in a game.

Sidney Crosby has 22 points (12G-10A) in 22 career games against the Canucks, including points in 10 of his last 13 games versus them (8G-7A).

Crosby (582) enters tonight’s game one goal shy of tying Wayne Gretzky (583) for the seventh-most goals with a single franchise in NHL history.

On Sunday night, Sidney Crosby notched four points against Philadelphia (1G-3A), surpassing Jari Kurri for sole possession of 15th place on the NHL’s all-time even-strength goals list. Three of Crosby’s four points came at even strength, and he now sits one even-strength point shy of becoming just the ninth player in NHL history to record 1,000 points at even strength. Crosby, who has appeared in 1,245 games, is set to reach this milestone in the fourth-fewest games in NHL history.

Crosby has been finding the back of the net at a consistent pace. He is tied for ninth in the NHL in goals (32). Crosby has been especially dangerous on the road, picking up 30 points (19G-11A) in 26 road games. His 19 goals on the road are fourth in the NHL.

Alex Nedeljkovic has allowed five goals total in three career games against the Canucks, going 2-0-0 with a 2.14 goals-against average, a .936 save percentage, and one shutout.

Reilly Smith has 21 points (9G-12A) in 25 career games versus Vancouver, which includes points in nine of his last 10 games against them (5G-7A).

Kris Letang’s goal on Sunday afternoon marked his 34th career game-winning goal. Only Brent Burns (42), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (35) and Erik Karlsson (35) have more among active blueliners.

Drew O’Connor found the back of the net for the third-straight game on Sunday night to give him six points (3G-3A) over his last six games. His six points since this stretch began on Feb. 14 rank third on Pittsburgh. O’Connor has set career highs across the board this season in goals (9), assists (12), points (21), and plus/minus (+11). His three-game goal scoring streak is a career long, and only Zach Hyman (4) has a longer active goal streak in the league.

Bryan Rust picked up three points on Sunday night against the Flyers (2G-1A), giving him six goals in his last seven games (6G-2A). Going back further, Rust has notched seven goals in his last nine games (7G-2A). Since February 6, Rust has led all Penguins in goals. Only Auston Matthews (12), Nick Suzuki (9), William Nylander (8), and J.T. Miller (8) have more goals than Rust since Feb. 6.

Marcus Pettersson tallied two helpers on Sunday night against the Flyers, resulting in his seventh multi-point game this season. Pettersson’s seven multi-point outings on the Penguins rank second among defensemen on the 2023.24 campaign, behind only Erik Karlsson (9). Pettersson (3G-21A) is one point shy of tying his single-season high in points of 25 (2G-23A) set in 84 games in 2018.19. The defenseman is also three assists short of setting a single-season high in assists.

Over his past five games, Pettersson has tallied five points (1G-4A).

Rust apparently did not make the trip and out with injury

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
A Top seeded west coast game where a win doesn't help us much and only puts us with lower draft picks. They got this, and will also lose a key trade chip to injury. Future be damned, this team will go out like Conor McGregor and won't stop fighting until someone breaks their leg(s).

Does anyone really want them to win the 5 way race for 8th place? FLA and NYR are so above and beyond PIT at this point. I'd rather just save the 0-4 embarrassment (and injuries) and let the old dudes rest for next season.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
put me out of misery, the entire week staying late, get up early for work, if they go 0 for 4 I will be miserable...3 wins would make me get through...Go Pens!

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Go Pens?

Due to my work schedule I highly doubt I get to watch any of these West Coast games. And then it'll be the TDL.

Here's hoping the team looks way different next time I can watch.
I'm in the same situation. This road trip is make or break for the Penguins. 6 out 8 points makes it possible to justify not selling off. I think that would be a mistake, but Dubas said he would give the vets a chance to prove they could make a run.

I want to see a 4 and 0 or 0 and 4 trip. Make it undeniable that they are still a legitimate shot to make the playoffs or make it undeniable they are out.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm in the same situation. This road trip is make or break for the Penguins. 6 out 8 points makes it possible to justify not selling off. I think that would be a mistake, but Dubas said he would give the vets a chance to prove they could make a run.

I want to see a 4 and 0 or 0 and 4 trip. Make it undeniable that they are still a legitimate shot to make the playoffs or make it undeniable they are out.
Is it weird Jake made the trip west? Scouting out his new home? 🙏

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
put me out of misery, the entire week staying late, get up early for work, if they go 0 for 4 I will be miserable...3 wins would make me get through...Go Pens!
Really? I’m kinda hoping this road trip puts us out of our misery…I’m tired of this playoff position limbo and feeling awful when Metro opponents win…I want a clear direction of failure this week lol so I can be happy when we’re sellers

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Caps play the Wings and Flyers play TB so you just know those will both be OT games. NJ plays the Sharks so that's gonna be a win there. The season could mathematically end tonight.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
God, watch us absolutely man-handle this team with minimal effort making Dubas pause just a bit :laugh:

I wouldn't give it much thought. This team just scored a months-worth of goals last game so they only have like one left in them to spread out over the next four games.

Reactions: Ulf5

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
They're going to go 4-0 or 3-0-1 on this trip and look like gangbusters, only to stumble vs Washington and Columbus at home before the deadline.
That’s a possibility, but I don’t think this team in its current form is realistically capable of 4-0 or 3-0-1 on this trip. Unless each of the four opponents trades for and starts Cal Petersen in each of the four games.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad