Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ullmark, Markstrom, even Ned are better options than Jarry. I’d say Binnington is too, because he has less term and a Cup.

Think the Pens will be lucky to move Jarry without having to pay up. And b/c of that there’s a chance he’s here next year.

(I agree on protecting young goalies and would strip this team down and run Jarry/vet FA + vet FA and try to be terrible next season. Let Blomqvist cook another year)

We can probably acquire a bad contract for Jarry.

Justin Holl comes to mind.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If they manage to trade Jarry - and I think they could - who do they run with in net next year? Do they bring back Ned as the starter and see what they have in Blomqvist as the backup, or do they try and get another middling veteran to run in a tandem with Ned?
Well, we would have been a perfect landing spot for MAF if he wanted to retire a Penguin. I would be extremely cautious about crowning Ned our starter when he is playing for a contract. I don’t see him as being better than Jarry.

Reactions: Victor Z

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Karlsonn trade was stupid. Should have kept our trash and first round pick and we would be in a much better position. I was never big on that trade.... especially since I knew that Sully would nuke EK's skillset.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If they manage to trade Jarry - and I think they could - who do they run with in net next year? Do they bring back Ned as the starter and see what they have in Blomqvist as the backup, or do they try and get another middling veteran to run in a tandem with Ned?
Go with Ned and another cheap veteran.

Reactions: canadianguy77

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Ullmark, Markstrom, even Ned are better options than Jarry. I’d say Binnington is too, because he has less term and a Cup.

Think the Pens will be lucky to move Jarry without having to pay up. And b/c of that there’s a chance he’s here next year.

(I agree on protecting young goalies and would strip this team down and run Jarry/vet FA + vet FA and try to be terrible next season. Let Blomqvist cook another year)
i think moving him is a good idea, but there is no reason to give him away.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think people are going WAY overboard with Nedjelkovic. He finished this year with a .904 save% and his super hot run down the stretch had him at a .903 save%. He just happened to be playing games for the Penguins while they were scoring a ton of goals.

Anyone who gives him a huge deal would be a downright moron. He's a 1B goalie who had a decent (not good, just decent) year this year. I'd have no issues with re-signing him, but that "re-signing" would be like 2 years at $3 million a year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't want to dump Jarry and go with Ned cuz I think it's gonna fix things. I just f***ing hate Jarry as a goalie.

Same line of thinking as with Sully; I'm not advocating to fire these losers into the sun to fix things, I'm doing it because I think they suck at their jobs and I hate them being Penguins.

Reactions: canadianguy77

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think people are going WAY overboard with Nedjelkovic. He finished this year with a .904 save% and his super hot run down the stretch had him at a .903 save%. He just happened to be playing games for the Penguins while they were scoring a ton of goals.

Anyone who gives him a huge deal would be a downright moron. He's a 1B goalie who had a decent (not good, just decent) year this year. I'd have no issues with re-signing him, but that "re-signing" would be like 2 years at $3 million a year.
it would simply be a tank move. imo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I don't disagree that they would be better options but they have to be available to begin with. And there is likely more than one team looking for an upgrade - NJD, LA, Edmonton, possibly Philly, who knows with the Sens, and even a darkhorse like Buffalo.

I don't know if they have to pay. Likely certainly not something like Jarry+2nd for a cond 7th / FC. I think you're looking at a 3rd or a b-level asset if it's a straight trade out. You might get more back if you have to take on a bad contract. Say it's Edmonton, I would ask for Tullio and Petrov or another one of their young forward prospects if we have to take Campbell back.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

He's just this year's Jeff Zatkoff.

TJ will go to a properly coached team and turn into a stud just like MAF after he got away form the Pens.

Reactions: Pens x and Pens1566

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

In my armchair gm's on CF, this is what I had him at. Seems reasonable for both sides given that he's proven to be a good backup but shakey as a starter. You only do this knowing you have Blomqvist in the AHL and it also means you likely nab another guy like Lankinen, Martin Jones, Reimer, etc to be a depth goalie.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still don't think the Penguins situation with Jarry is as dire as most fans think. Not in that "they should keep him", I think the relationship is broken after Jarry was benched to end the year, but I think there would be teams interested in Jarry just because goaltending around the league sucks right now.

In the last 5 years, Jarry is 13th in wins and 12th in save% (among goalies with 150 or more games played), while he's the 12th highest paid goalie in hockey. He didn't even have that bad of a year this year, Jarry will finish with a -0.8 GSAA and a +2.6 GSAx. He was a league average goalie this year. The biggest issue Jarry had this year is that he had a lot of really bad games, he finished this year with 12 really bad starts (starts with a save% below .850) compared to only 5 last year.

I'm not saying this to say that they should keep Jarry. I just think that even with Jarry's flaws, so many other teams have worse goaltending situations that I really struggle to see how no one would be interested in Jarry. I think Detroit is a team that makes a ton of sense to go after Jarry.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I still don't think the Penguins situation with Jarry is as dire as most fans think. Not in that "they should keep him", I think the relationship is broken after Jarry was benched to end the year, but I think there would be teams interested in Jarry just because goaltending around the league sucks right now.

In the last 5 years, Jarry is 13th in wins and 12th in save% (among goalies with 150 or more games played), while he's the 12th highest paid goalie in hockey. He didn't even have that bad of a year this year, Jarry will finish with a -0.8 GSAA and a +2.6 GSAx. He was a league average goalie this year. The biggest issue Jarry had this year is that he had a lot of really bad games, he finished this year with 12 really bad starts (starts with a save% below .850) compared to only 5 last year.

I'm not saying this to say that they should keep Jarry. I just think that even with Jarry's flaws, so many other teams have worse goaltending situations that I really struggle to see how no one would be interested in Jarry. I think Detroit is a team that makes a ton of sense to go after Jarry.

1713374923297.png

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, it’s probably best for both if the team and Jarry move on, if it’s nothing more than to help clear the air in the locker room.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Lyons.PNG

This is Alex Lyons, who was Detroit's starting goalie down the stretch. Lyons went 8-12-3 in his last 23 starts with an .887 save%, Detroit likely makes the playoffs with better goaltending over that stretch.

Jarry obviously has his issues, I just think fans are not paying attention to how many other teams also have goalies with massive issues.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
View attachment 853813

This is Alex Lyons, who was Detroit's starting goalie down the stretch. Lyons went 8-12-3 in his last 23 starts with an .887 save%, Detroit likely makes the playoffs with better goaltending over that stretch.

Jarry obviously has his issues, I just think fans are not paying attention to how many other teams also have goalies with massive issues.

Alex Lyon is making 900k.

Also Alex Lyon had a great year end run last year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad