Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
The season is over, the result is hardly surprising, even if the last few weeks have been very entertaining.

It's time for the organization to turn over every stone in the offseason and question everything. It cannot and must not be the case that a team like Washington gets into the playoffs and the Penguins don't.

Despite everything, a few players left positive impressions and we should build on them next season.

DOC has developed very well and should play a key role on the third line next season. I think he's not a first line forward on a good team, but can be an important part of the third line and in shorthanded situations.

Puustinen had both good and bad games and should definitely be in contention for a spot on the third line next season. Furthermore, they should use his shot on the PP.

JSI has shown solid performances in recent weeks and brings what you would expect from a third pair player: a small contract and solid performances.

Ned has been the backbone of the last few weeks and deserves a new contract. Ideally, Jarry will be traded so that a 1A/1B/1C situation can arise with Ned/UFA/Blomqvist.

Sid and Geno have shown, especially in the last few weeks, that they are still capable of showing first-class performances but also need the necessary support. Bunting was a good start and now Dubai needs to continue there.

Unfortunately, the negative aspects outweigh the negative aspects and the coaching staff in particular is a major weak point in this team. Sullivan's system is outdated and fails to utilize the team's strengths. His loyalty to veterans has consistently led to disastrous results and ultimately this dilemma of a season. There is a lack of structure and creativity in both offense and defense. His distribution of ice time is more than questionable and the approach with two defensive lines doesn't make sense either. Complicating matters is his fixation on players like Carter and Harkins, who don't contribute much to games other than wearing the jersey. I don't think Dubas has the authority to fire Sullivan, but he should at least take away the players who were pointlessly overplayed.

The power play is an absolute disaster and is actually enough to get the coaches fired. I can't fathom how a professional sports team can watch themselves shoot themselves in the foot like that for 81 games. With the best will in the world, there is no other explanation for this than incompetence on the coaching staff and this must inevitably be removed.

Like every year, I'm hoping for the necessary changes to get me back in front of the TV with the Pittsburgh Penguins product, but I no longer see any light at the end of the tunnel. If there are no changes, they will miss the playoffs again next season and ultimately try to find excuses for their own mistakes. So as always...

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
If we can dump Jarry...

I wonder about Knight, Cal Peterson, or even offer-sheeting Carter Hart. Matt Murray still floating around and is an UFA who might take league minimum just to be given a chance - but that would have to be as option 3. I think a Knight/Ned combo would be nice tbh.

I do not for any reason think they should target the mythical 60 game guy though. That goalie doesn't exist anymore. Go tandem. Hell, maybe roll with 3. But I see no reason Ned can't start 40 games for this club under the right system.
Carter Hart? Are you f***ing serious? Forgetting the fact he's outright shadow banned until after the court case, then has to go through not only Bettman but league appointed therapy and rehab, do you really want that asswipe who's a tick bellow Jarry around? I sure as f*** dont.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
It just sucks cause we have no idea if the guys who sucked this year are actually bad or just can't play Sully's system. With how many of them looked good before getting here, and how many look good after leaving I just hate the thought of blowing it up at the cost of picks/prospects for more guys who Sully will ruin.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's going to be an interesting offseason. I am excited to see Yager and the young guys from the Guentzel trade at camp. Hopefully at least one of those 4 will make a little noise in the NHL soon. Ponomarev seems like he's the most likely to contribute next season, especially with Carter likely gone (knock on wood), but Yager and Koivunen are the ones to watch long-term, IMO.

Reactions: Andy99

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Carter Hart? Are you f***ing serious? Forgetting the fact he's outright shadow banned until after the court case, then has to go through not only Bettman but league appointed therapy and rehab, do you really want that asswipe who's a tick bellow Jarry around? I sure as f*** dont.

Also for people that aren't paying attention. The court case for the scandal is projected to not happen until sometime in 2026. Which means those players are banned until then.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Poulin is 100% gone.

Not a chance they give him a QO with the way they utilized him this year.
Yes they will.
I hope Jarry is someone a lot of teams look at with the cap going up and in need of someone who can start games.

Please.

Also just realized we still have 2 years of Jack Johnson against the cap.
The $1.5mil retained to jettison the corpse of Petry is what hurts still. Man what a bad trade that was for Hextall. Thankfully, just about everything has been cleanup from his disastrous run here. We just need to rebuild the depth now.
Also for people that aren't paying attention. The court case for the scandal is projected to not happen until sometime in 2026. Which means those players are banned until then.
I wasn't there so I have no idea what the truth is (based on superficial reasoning, I'm guessing they are guilty) but if they aren't found guilty, I'd be a bit miffed it took that long to get a court date. These kids are in their prime so if they are found innocent (somehow), they are coming back at 28-29 after a 2 year lay off. I doubt they sniff NHL ice again but I guess it's possible if they signed an AHL deal. Probably why people just shouldn't put themselves in that position. Play stupid game, win stupid prizes. With how little it takes to not be a complete monster or asshole, it really baffles me how some of these people find themselves in these positions. .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
keeping 2025 pick is good. I think it’s time to fully rebuild —

but having the pick means they can kinda do whatever and still have a top pick and start the rebuild a year later if it all blows up in their face (likely IMO).

—-

Poulin has gotten a completely raw deal here (especially for a 1st round pick) so I could see no QO tbh. Still think they will qualify him but not completely asinine to wonder if they wouldn’t.

I also think he’s likely not a player; and if he is a player, likely not an impactful one. Tough guy for me to lose sleep over.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
TELL EM STEVE DAVE - GIF - Imgur

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Pens need to jettison Smith at the draft day table. Free up 4 million and retain 1 I am not thinkng Jarry has to be moved unless the deal makes sense. goalies on a 4 year deal at just over 4 million is not a killer here. Next up is coaching. Get a better d coach. Get a PP guy to structure a puck moving PP vs let the stars make a splash play. Lastly take away the plugs Sullivan prefers in his system that rewards mediocre play and is not physical or strong enough on the hard areas. Pens just are to small to slow and lack the 4rh line play that brings the elements of size. grit and hammering the D deep in their zone.
Jarry is a $5,375,000 cap hit

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Leaving Jarry on the bench in the last game after handing the starting job to Ned over the past month - without giving Ned any rest - certainly sends a message IMO. Sullivan doesn't want him as the starter anymore.

Reactions: Andy99

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If they manage to trade Jarry - and I think they could - who do they run with in net next year? Do they bring back Ned as the starter and see what they have in Blomqvist as the backup, or do they try and get another middling veteran to run in a tandem with Ned?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ned might get PAID with how bad the goalie FA market is this summer. He deserves it but not sure I want to be the one handing him the deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ned might get PAID with how bad the goalie FA market is this summer. He deserves it but not sure I want to be the one handing him the deal.
It's certainly not as bad as last year. But I think you are running into a similar issue with the crop - if you need a starter, you are either signing a backup that you hope can take over as the starter, or you are signing an aged-out vet with bad numbers.

If a team wants a starter, Jarry is likely the best option ANY team will have. I think Calgary wants to keep Markstrom and with the Preds doing well I imagine they keep Saros. That MIGHT make Vladar available who knows. After that you have Jarry, Binnington, Merzlikins, Ullmark, and Campbell who might be available. Then a bunch of backups.

So again, the market is much better than last year but still, not many true starters available. The key might be the willingness to take on the other goalie from another team. Like NJD with Allen or Edmonton with Campbell. We just need to get the good young asset to make it make sense.

This will be an interesting thing to watch though. If they want to get younger, you do that by GETTING. YOUNGER. That means you PLAY. YOUNGER. PLAYERS. They can't keep signing or trading for 30yo+ guys because Sullivan "doesn't trust" young guys (which there is a varying degree of). One instance of this is "Hey, Blomqvist...get up here". And unless he goes 10+ games at sub .850%, you roll with him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
TJ is probably gone. I'm guessing he'll just be another guy in the long list of guys who suck under Sully and turn it around once he's gone.

We may finally get to see what a two back-up tandem looks like that so many have been asking for.

I also doubt that with how he's ended the season Ned doesn't go chase the biggest contract he can get. IMO, he could probably get a Kopri like 4M deal from someone.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's certainly not as bad as last year. But I think you are running into a similar issue with the crop - if you need a starter, you are either signing a backup that you hope can take over as the starter, or you are signing an aged-out vet with bad numbers.

If a team wants a starter, Jarry is likely the best option ANY team will have. I think Calgary wants to keep Markstrom and with the Preds doing well I imagine they keep Saros. That MIGHT make Vladar available who knows. After that you have Jarry, Binnington, Merzlikins, Ullmark, and Campbell who might be available. Then a bunch of backups.

Ullmark, Markstrom, even Ned are better options than Jarry. I’d say Binnington is too, because he has less term and a Cup.

Think the Pens will be lucky to move Jarry without having to pay up. And b/c of that there’s a chance he’s here next year.

(I agree on protecting young goalies and would strip this team down and run Jarry/vet FA + vet FA and try to be terrible next season. Let Blomqvist cook another year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad