Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hard disagree here. Coaching and playing are two different things. Some of the best coaches of all time across sports were terrible athletes or didn’t even play their sport.
That was exactly my point. Perhaps it wasn’t clear, but it’s not just that some of the great coaches weren’t players themselves but if you look at the ranks of who actually become coaches you’ll see it’s usually a certain kind of ex-player. That’s what I’m pointing out. Nobody should disagree that talent on the ice doesn’t equal coaching success (Oates, Gretzky, etc.) but we should also be aware that, because most coaches were a certain kind of player, it limits what hockey coaching usually is.

Honestly, I’d like to see a shift in bringing in more coaches who never played the game professionally, since I think it gives a different perspective, but you’d have to start in a lot more development leagues to do so first. GMs and players don’t want to take chances.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
It’s going on 5+ years of this BS around here of people not understanding or appreciating everything Rust brings to this team. It’s downright criminal that mouth breathers are still spouting off that they want him traded. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: eXile3

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It’s going on 5+ years of this BS around here of people not understanding or appreciating everything Rust brings to this team. It’s downright criminal that mouth breathers are still spouting off that they want him traded. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He's got the ups and downs of a middle 6 winger but he's certainly somewhat of a multi-tool out there.

Wouldn't say he's first, second, or third on the list of trade candidates but would not say - whatsover - that he's immune to the discussion.

Lately, sure, that's the Rust that we love and think is worth every penny. But man, Rust can have some really, really down turns where he's invisible and costing a lot. I think once the cap rises he'll be a player we love at the price. But for the past two years he's been a mixed bag.

As a big Rust fan, I think this is in large part due to Geno really not playing to a 2C pace (though no knock to Geno as I have to point out) and Eller being our 3C. So it's basically Sid's line or bust. Several years ago Rust could move up and down the lineup and look really good - but there was a huge reason for that and it started/ended with the fact he had playmaking centers to utilize. He's not overly creative with his own offense and pretty much has one single move he makes - drive to the net and hope for the best. I think if Rust could work on his shot he'd be WAY more dynamic as a player. For now - he's just that middle 6 guy with an awesome history that we're sorta stuck with on Sid's line....which for the time being is fine. Big picture? Says a lot about the team and how many holes it has.

Yeah you start with Rakell/Smith if you can. Graves. Jarry. Eller, Acciari,...Shake things up by moving at least 2-3 pieces this Summer. Rust does not have to be one of them.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
After seeing how Bunting has transformed Malkin's line, I would love to get someone similar for Sid in FA if they can't convince Jake to come back. Maybe Bertuzzi could be an option?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
After seeing how Bunting has transformed Malkin's line, I would love to get someone similar for Sid in FA if they can't convince Jake to come back. Maybe Bertuzzi could be an option?
I would be cool with that, but I have always remained steadfast that Duclair would be butter for Sid.

Reactions: LiffLaff

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
I would be cool with that, but I have always remained steadfast that Duclair would be butter for Sid.
I like Duclair as well. I just feel like the team has a shortage og players who bring grit and energy in the top 9, so I don't really care if its Bert, Duclair or someone else, as long as they can give the team a bit of life when they need it, and not be a offensive black hole. My top priorities this offseason would be getting a gritty top six player and a D that can play physical while allso shutting it down defensively

Reactions: Coastal Kev

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jake was traded and that's it. Those thinking he can be signed don't understand what Dubas saw as a team. Pens need grit and some bang and Dubas will address that with moving Smith for a pick and having cap space to add a LW. Dubas has one more year of the old guys before the purge. Sullivan will be back here for one more run at things. Then no question with draft picks, prospects and what ever they add in the deals after next year will be the start of the retool/rebuild.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Jake was traded and that's it. Those thinking he can be signed don't understand what Dubas saw as a team. Pens need grit and some bang and Dubas will address that with moving Smith for a pick and having cap space to add a LW. Dubas has one more year of the old guys before the purge. Sullivan will be back here for one more run at things. Then no question with draft picks, prospects and what ever they add in the deals after next year will be the start of the retool/rebuild.
Honestly, if the 12mil number Dubas gave during his presser is correct, I'd think they'd have the money for a decent lw without moving anyone out, seeing as there are no notable raises coming. Not saying I wouldnt mind moving Smith out any ways tho.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not particularly interested in bringing Guentzel back at this point. I don't think he is the kind of player this team should be spending money on.

I think you try to ship out Rakell and keep Smith next year, just because Smith's deal is up after next year anyway and I really like Smith-Eller-Puustinen as the 3rd line.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
If you’re trying to compete this summer we shouldn’t fall in the trap of finding Bunting 2.0. Plan a, b, and c should be all in on finding another star or high end forward whether it’s FA or trade.
For me it kind of depends on the player, because I don't want to end up with a vanilla team that has no pushback..

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
With DOC, Puustinen and a couple younger forwards/centers in Yagar, Poulin, center from the Canes and maybe Broz coming, Pens can move Rust after next year for a nice pick or prospects. Package for Karlsson will be a first and really good center/forward prospect. Plus, what they can add in next couple of drafts to deepen the prospect pool which Dubas needs. Bunting is good for 2 more years and Rakell for 4 more. Not sure Pens make or miss playoffs but if they miss hope they can be in the top 10 for the draft. Dubas will not tank like Chicago, LA to a degree, Detroit which has tried without luck or Oilers who got great talents. But a top 10 pick gives them a really good RD there.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
1712606334398.png

So Friedge on 32TP said there was a deal for Jarry early on in the season...off-szn will be CURIOUS

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That was exactly my point. Perhaps it wasn’t clear, but it’s not just that some of the great coaches weren’t players themselves but if you look at the ranks of who actually become coaches you’ll see it’s usually a certain kind of ex-player. That’s what I’m pointing out. Nobody should disagree that talent on the ice doesn’t equal coaching success (Oates, Gretzky, etc.) but we should also be aware that, because most coaches were a certain kind of player, it limits what hockey coaching usually is.

Honestly, I’d like to see a shift in bringing in more coaches who never played the game professionally, since I think it gives a different perspective, but you’d have to start in a lot more development leagues to do so first. GMs and players don’t want to take chances.
Jon Cooper is the best coach in the NHL and never played professionally. He's basically a coaching prodigy though when you look at the level of success he's had pretty much everywhere that he's coached.

It takes that level of coaching talent to break in when you don't have the NHL experience to fall back on like the Sullivans of the world do.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Good, I'm sick of Jarry. Let him excel elsewhere and all the weirdo Jarry cultists can stats watch him all season and lose their minds when he has his typical like 5 game hot stretch before going on the shelf or crumbling from February onward. :laugh:

Reactions: Darren McCord

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it’s been said previously but 2 years 3-3.5 per? I’m down.

Some people will say it's risky which is fair. But they all are. And I have as much confidence as I'm willing to extend to a goaltender that Ned is at least as good as Jarry. It's nothing even personal against Jarry. I just don't like that contract and feel that goaltenders are a bad investment.

The Penguins luckily have some good prospects at that position in the pipeline and a guy like Blomqvist could be ready for platoon duties as soon as next season. The team doesn't need Jarry IMO.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Some people will say it's risky which is fair. But they all are. And I have as much confidence as I'm willing to extend to a goaltender that Ned is at least as good as Jarry. It's nothing even personal against Jarry. I just don't like that contract and feel that goaltenders are a bad investment.

The Penguins luckily have some good prospects at that position in the pipeline and a guy like Blomqvist could be ready for platoon duties as soon as next season. The team doesn't need Jarry IMO.
It helps I'm extremely high on Blomqvist. And he could bust but same - I'm willing to roll the dice on goaltending at this point. I mean its let us down in the past while spending money on it. Why not try the opposite and shore up weaknesses elsewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see something like Jarry to Edmonton for Campbell+ actually making a fair amount of sense. You'd want to get salary retention on Campbell and Edmonton would also be adding, but Campbell is actually having a really strong season in the AHL (.921 save% in 30 games) and I could see Dubas thinking he can rebound in Pittsburgh.

You'd run with Nedjelkovic-Campbell to start and eventually plan on Blomqvist replacing one of the two. Probably give Nedjelkovic a 2 year, $3.5 million deal or so and just run with Nedjelkovic, Campbell and Blomqvist as your 3 goalies.

You could also expand the logic of this trade (Jarry for a cheaper 1B+) with a couple of teams. Edmonton is obvious with the Jarry connection, but even something like Jarry to San Jose for Vanecek+ could make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad