Pens Recent Injury History: Cup Win Until Now

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I was bored and put together our 20-man starting rosters from 2009-10 until now. Players highlighted in red missed significant time that season (8+ games) due to injury. Forgive the errors in some of the line combos (particularly the d pairings).

2009-10:
Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Fedotenko - Malkin - Dupuis
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams

Gonchar - Letang
Orpik - Goligoski

Eaton - McKee

Fleury
Johnson

2010-11:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
? - Malkin - ?
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Adams - Talbot - Rupp

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Michalek
Goligoski - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

2011-12:

Sullivan - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Asham - Vitale - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Michalek

Niskanen - Engelland

Fleury
Johnson

2012-13:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
? - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Martin - Orpik
Letang - Niskanen
Despres- Engelland

Fleury
Vokoun

2013-14 (so far):
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - D'Agostini
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Letang - Scuderi
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Maatta

Fleury
Vokoun

Last edited by a moderator:

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
Crosby or Malkin gets injured this season and I'm just going to toss up my hands and stop watching until the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have wondering about whether it was team make up, trainers, whatever which caused us to be close to the top of man games lost year in and year out.

Although last year we were only 19th most man games lost, which surprised me. It was a shortened season so maybe that was why.

But for the most part we lead the league in players lost, and in significant players lost, year in and year out. One year would be luck, but every year? Something is going on, as this has not been an old team which you would expect that many injuries.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... it's really weird. I just don't believe in bad luck, to this degree. But at the same time, I couldn't really pin down anything that would cause this team, in particular, so many injuries. So I don't know.

I just know, as melodramatic as it sounds, that I've completely given up on seeing a season where at least the majority of the team's key players don't go down with significant injuries over the course of the year. It just seems like a given, now. Like it's just part of Penguins Hockeyâ„¢, these days.

Early and often this year, too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah... it's really weird. I just don't believe in bad luck, to this degree. But at the same time, I couldn't really pin down anything that would cause this team, in particular, so many injuries. So I don't know.

I just know, as melodramatic as it sounds, that I've completely given up on seeing a season where at least the majority of the team's key players don't go down with significant injuries over the course of the year. It just seems like a given, now. Like it's just part of Penguins Hockey™, these days.

Early and often this year, too.

bylsma1_330.jpg

I keep telling you. All we need is a few more like Glass and Adams. Or Dupuis. They never get injured despite people trying to trip them as they are walking down the street.

I tell ya, that Dupuis fella even gets hate mail (daily) from as far away as china. But he is like a brick wall, you can not get him out of the lineup. He will still be there when Crosby retires.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
2010-11:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
? - Malkin - ?
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Adams - Talbot - Rupp

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Michalek
Goligoski - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

Allow me to horrify you by correcting your 2010-11 lineup (at least to start the season):
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Comrie - Malkin - Talbot
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Asham

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Michalek
Goligoski - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

Even worse, though, is what the team exited the playoffs with:
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Neal-Letestu-Kovalev
Dupuis-Talbot-Conner
Adams-Rupp-Asham

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Lovejoy

Fleury

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is the real reason why healthcare is so expensive.

I distinctly remember Bylsma promising that if you like your Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, you can keep your Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. Period.

I have been on the government website all week trying to get a better option and can not even sign in.

I wonder who is responsible for that.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I have wondering about whether it was team make up, trainers, whatever which caused us to be close to the top of man games lost year in and year out.

Although last year we were only 19th most man games lost, which surprised me. It was a shortened season so maybe that was why.

But for the most part we lead the league in players lost, and in significant players lost, year in and year out. One year would be luck, but every year? Something is going on, as this has not been an old team which you would expect that many injuries.

They always say grind *****es down. Little did we know the *****es are actually the Pens players.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
What? Why is Sutter red? I thought he took today off as a maintenance day for his wrist?

Oh, I saw a headline this morning that Sutter was out indefinitely, but maybe I'm wrong. Obviously the 2013-14 season was the only one that I didn't use the "min 8 games missed" criterion for.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't see 8 games as the benchmark to start saying it's significant amounts of time. I'd say 15 games or more would qualify. Still depressing though.

Fire Shero*

Wow those were some horrible wingers. I guess i blocked them out, it's crazy we even won a cup with that roster. We are very lucky.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Even worse, though, is what the team exited the playoffs with:
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Neal-Letestu-Kovalev
Dupuis-Talbot-Conner
Adams-Rupp-Asham

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Lovejoy

Fleury

towards the end of the season and playoffs, that team was almost lovingly awful. for the first time in years, the Penguins were a bit of the underdogs. no team with that forward depth should've had any success. but they were somehow holding their own with the team that took the Cup winners to 7 games and swept the Capitals. definitely a pretty memorable season. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad