Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Rangers - Garden of Dreams Night

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Glass is not the reason why this team has blown as many leads as they have. Neither is the schedule. Neither Glass nor the schedule has the responsibility of making sure that Malkin is not allowed to waltz to the front of the net. Neither Glass nor the schedule is the reason why the power play over passes at all times.

So?

Glass is still garbage and so is the schedule.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
there is very little offensive zone time when glass is on that line. at least thus far. he can't hold on to pucks and work a cycle. we are usually defending when his line is on the ice.

very different when miller was on that line with moore and fast

AV is saving face here with his comments yesterday. he's trying to sell everyone on glass because its obvious it was his call to blow out dorsett/carcillo and bring glass in

he wants to be right on him and in some ways he is. he is a guy that pks fights and finishes his checks north and south player. thing is in this system rolling 4 lines and trying to be a possession team glass doesn't really fit at all.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because now we have 4 days off and it sucks?

And it's never a bad time to say Glass sucks? Which he does?

He ruined the 4th line last night. Again.
The context to the Rangers-Pens post game is that there is 4 days off and it sucks? Just want to be sure I get it.

And Glass somehow ruined the 4th line? You certainly have the right to complain about whatever you want to, but the issues with this team lie 99.9% someplace else.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The context to the Rangers-Pens post game is that there is 4 days off and it sucks? Just want to be sure I get it.

And Glass somehow ruined the 4th line? You certainly have the right to complain about whatever you want to, but the issues with this team lie 99.9% someplace else.

Yeah, Glass did ruin the 4th line.

The 4th line being horrible is actually a huge problem. It forces offensive players to take defensive zone starts when they shouldn't have to.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

The 4th line is more important than .1% of the team. Last year everyone from opponents, to opposing coaches, to our team and our coaches and all pundits were saying one of the main reasons for the Rangers' success was a great 4th line and the ability to roll all 4 lines.

Huge goal in 1st period of game 7 vs Pittsburgh, only goal in game 6 vs montreal. Not to mention how many times they kept the opposing team pinned in their own zone. This 4th line is nothing like last years' and that's a big problem.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The 4th line is more important than .1% of the team. Last year everyone from opponents, to opposing coaches, to our team and our coaches and all pundits were saying one of the main reasons for the Rangers' success was a great 4th line and the ability to roll all 4 lines.

Huge goal in 1st period of game 7 vs Pittsburgh, only goal in game 6 vs montreal. Not to mention how many times they kept the opposing team pinned in their own zone. This 4th line is nothing like last years' and that's a big problem.

It is. I thought the Miller-Moore-Fast line was good. I am hoping they go back to that

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Yup, we give up goals like that at least once a game.

It's been almost a season and a half that they've been playing in this system, yet our defensemen still look like they are adjusting. My stance on man defense hasn't changed much since a year ago... our defensemen aren't suited for it, it leaves more forwards wide open in the slot, and the defensive lapses aren't compensated by enough offensive contributions from the defensemen.

And on top of that, they played prevent defense in the 3rd. That will not be a successful strategy if the defensemen are constantly blowing their coverage.

I don't see the logic behind a system where your two defensemen vacate the area in front of the net to chase after players behind it. Especially that our Dmen aren't particularly quick or strong. I mean, leave the front of the net and there's a good chance you'll have opponents alone...in front of the net?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This 4th line is nothing like last years' and that's a big problem.
My point is that it is the not nearly as much of an issue is not being able to clear the puck or preventing Malkin from walking in with no one looking at him. It is also not the main reason that this team is mediocre.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I only saw from the Hayes goal on.

Outside of the goal, how did Miller look? Looks like he lost Malkin for the goal right in front of the net, similar to what Kreider did the other night.

Kevin Klein is GOAT.

Remember in the off-season when everyone hated him? He couldn't play in the top-4? He'd be this years scapegoat? Nah, just GOAT.

Malkin was Girard's man...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Malkin was Girard's man...

I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what the **** is going on in AV's man-to-man defense. Even watching it for two seasons now, I don't know what the hell is supposed to happen :laugh:

I do know that type of goal has happened way too much this season. That our defensemen continue to chase behind the net and leave guys open in front way too much. This leads me to believe that forward help is expected in the crease.

The goal was quite similar to the one everyone on here lynched Kreider for. For leaving the front of the net and giving the opposition the crease. But now this play is Girardi's fault? Not trying to sound as if I'm accusing anyone of anything, just generally confused. When is it the forwards responsibility to cover the crease, and when is it the d-mans?

yLoX4UE.png

(this is a frame before the pass is made to Malkin)

Either way, Miller and G are both in no-man's land. We're double-teaming a useless guy behind the net, and we have 5 in the frame to Pittsburgh's three. A devastatingly poor effort on D.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
My point is that it is the not nearly as much of an issue is not being able to clear the puck or preventing Malkin from walking in with no one looking at him. It is also not the main reason that this team is mediocre.

So what? We can't discuss it because there's a bigger issue at hand?

And it's a very large reason.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Everytime I see the 4th line with Glass having to backcheck I just know we're in for a 30 second d-zone pinning

BarbaraAlphanse

Weakest links of the team:

J. Moore
Glass
Stempniak

In no particular order.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what the **** is going on in AV's man-to-man defense. Even watching it for two seasons now, I don't know what the hell is supposed to happen :laugh:

I do know that type of goal has happened way too much this season. That our defensemen continue to chase behind the net and leave guys open in front way too much. This leads me to believe that forward help is expected in the crease.

The goal was quite similar to the one everyone on here lynched Kreider for. For leaving the front of the net and giving the opposition the crease. But now this play is Girardi's fault? Not trying to sound as if I'm accusing anyone of anything, just generally confused. When is it the forwards responsibility to cover the crease, and when is it the d-mans?

yLoX4UE.png

Either way, Miller and G are both in no-man's land. We're double-teaming a useless guy behind the net, and we have 5 in the frame to Pittsburgh's three. A devastatingly poor effort on D.

I feel like, ideally, the system forms sort of a rotating wheel of defenders in the zone to keep opponents to the outside, but it can leave openings in the slot.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York

yLoX4UE.png

Miller may be in no-man's land, but at least he's skating in the right direction. Girardi looks really aimless right there. You could argue either way on whether Miller is blowing that coverage, but Girardi is clearly doing something horribly wrong.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

yLoX4UE.png

Freakin mind-boggling. We out-number them 5 to 3 and they have the only player in front of the net.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Concerning that frame above you can see the whole play here at about the 10:20 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qQZ_ZK9fA

It's a whole series of events that leads to it, but my take, McD gets beat in the neutral zone, Girardi comes over to cover for him ends up behind the net swinging around, both MSL and McD were trying to get the puck(already scrambling), they both missed, Sutter picked it up, Stepan unwisely releases from Malkin, by the time Miller and Girardi react it's too late.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
That was a goofy goal. IIRC Hank made the initial save but didn't control the puck. It looked like it was heading behind the net, at which point St. Louis & McDonagh headed there. But it bounced on Comeau's skate or something and went instead to the side, along the goal line, where Suter was.

At this point McD and StL were useless. They were blocked out of the play, behind the net, where the puck wasn't, by Comeau.

Meanwhile, ahead of that action, Girardi had taken a turn behind the net and come out the other side. But he wasn't quick enough/aware enough to go straight to Malkin.

Stepan had gone to the front of the net, but when the puck went to Suter Step went to cover him. But he did not stop Suter's pass to Malkin.

Miller was the last guy in. I don't know what his responsibility is in that situation. Should he have been aware that Malkin was unmarked and gone straight there?

The Pens managed to have everything work for them in the few seconds around that goal. That's hockey.

Probably the most culpable Rangers were Girardi (since he didn't get right back to the front of the net) and one of McDonagh/St.Louis (since they both didn't need to chase the puck behind the net).

I'd like to think that as the Rangers get more familiar with each other they'll handle these situations better. Again, this is one of those deals where Stralman's calm might have helped. Instead of running around off to the side and around the back, our guys would have been better served to hold position in front of the net.

Edit: It looks like Girardi took the path behind the net because he had gone to challenge the initial shot by Suter. And the puck went from St. Louis's stick to Suter, not off Comeau's skate.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So what? We can't discuss it because there's a bigger issue at hand?

And it's a very large reason.
Not my point at all. You can discuss whatever you fee like.

So the 4th line is a very large reason this team is mediocre? Just curious, how big? Think of it as a pie chart.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So the 4th line is a very large reason this team is mediocre? Just curious, how big? Think of it as a pie chart.

Regardless of the pie chart why not at least attempt to improve the line?

Do you think Glass is a better hockey player or gives the Rangers a better chance to win if he played in the majority of the games over Miller, Fast, Stempniak or anyone else you'd sit in order to play Glass?

Just curious, because even though the others are inexperienced and may make some mistakes, I still see their skill level being an overall positive towards the Rangers being a better team over even an experienced, mistake free Glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad