Pens Predict WILL be Returning!

Certified Assassin

Souped up Wildcat
Jul 15, 2010
West Virginia
Morning all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be continuing the Pens Predict game that seemed to go over well with everyone on this board last year. That is if dr robbie is okay with that, since he had it the year before me...

I didn't make many changes to the Excel schedule as far as graphics/colors go - it is much easier to read using basic black and white, with the team graphics across the top. I will still play around with it though to see if something works.

Please take some time to post below to "throw" your name in the hat of participants this year so I can get an idea of how much work I will be looking at ;)

Also, please provide any suggestions you may have that may help improve on what was last year's great game.

Thanks again to everyone who participates!

Oh, and let's remind everyone who last year's champion was ---- Wheelz87!

EDIT: Guess I should explain the rules of the game for the newcomers.

1. Pick the ending score of the game. ex: 4-1 Pens (be sure to pick the winning team)
2. Pick the first goal scorer of the game. ex: Crosby (remember, you can pick a player from the other team, it is the FIRST goal scorer of the game)
3. Pick the three stars of the game, as per NHL.com. ex: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter (remember, you can pick any player, but if you pick a goalie - you must pick the name of the goalie, not just "whoever is in goal")

A point is awarded for the correct guessing of number 1. above, 2. above, and one point a piece for each correct star of the game - bringing a total of 5 points to be had. If you get all predictions correct, a bonus of 3 points will be awarded to you and a tiny little Stanley Cup beside your name in the standings.

Last edited:

Michael8771*

I'll probably participate, but I guess I'd prefer points for all goals as opposed to just the first. Also, for lesser players, say rob scuderi, if he scores and you predicted him, you should get more points then say Sid or Geno. A weighted system so to speak. In any case I'll try it.

Michael8771*

I'mma do this for the first time. Also I agree with Michael, you should make this unnecessarily complicated and too much work for yourself in order to inevitably make somebody mad.
Picking Sid or Geno to score isn't really going out on a limb. If everything is equal I can't imagine too many people picking a Bortuzzo or a Scuderi, particularly if it's not a weighted system. I think that would make the race more intriguing, but whatever.

Certified Assassin

Souped up Wildcat
Jul 15, 2010
West Virginia
A weighted system would be rather time consuming for me. Plus, it would most likely add in decimals to the scoring, which would make it even more complicated.

I would have to base it off of some variable compared to a total (i.e. goals to total goals scored per player).

I appreciate the suggestion, but due to the amount of work already involved in this game, it wouldn't be feasible time wise to implement something such as this.

We had a rather thrilling end to the game last year with it coming down to the final game for 5 posters. And it would have been even more so if everyone participated in every game, given the "points-per-game predicted" stat I showed.

Michael8771*

A weighted system would be rather time consuming for me. Plus, it would most likely add in decimals to the scoring, which would make it even more complicated.

I would have to base it off of some variable compared to a total (i.e. goals to total goals scored per player).

I appreciate the suggestion, but due to the amount of work already involved in this game, it wouldn't be feasible time wise to implement something such as this.

We had a rather thrilling end to the game last year with it coming down to the final game for 5 posters. And it would have been even more so if everyone participated in every game, given the "points-per-game predicted" stat I showed.
I understand, it would be rather time consuming. Point taken. :)

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
Since I kick Certified Assassin's ass in playoff pick-up pool every year, I guess I'll give this a shot.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm gonna put all my picks in now.

I'm answering "6-5 Pens" and "Patric Hornqvist" to every question. You may tally up my points and i'll collect my winnings next year. TY.:nod:

1. 6-5 Pens
2. Patric Hornqvist
3: 1. Patric Hornqvist
2. Patric Hornqvist
3. Patric Hornqvist

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Will be in and you can keep running it man - you did an awesome job last year. I'll definitely run it again if you ever quit though.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
count me in. i look forward to once again ending up somewhere in the middle of the pack.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
I will try to participate throughout the year. Last year I had a brief run, sandwiched in the middle of some very bad prognostications ...

As for the Malkin and Crosby score more thing, if you think that's the ticket to success Michael8771, choose them every game. I don't think that strategy will win the challenge though, tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad