Post-Game Talk: Pens need some Buffalo sauce for these Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I hope the Pens pick like top 5 or pick in the 11+ range to give to SJ.

Unfortunately it looks like they'll probably pick like 9th or 10th lol. And keep it. And then next year we'll all be panicking about giving SJ a lottery pick.
That win put us 11th in points though the Kraken have a game in hand. Pens have a game in hand on NJ and Buff

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It'd kinda be a good thing to give up a middle pick and not have to worry about it turning into a lottery pick...

It makes no sense to continue to try to win now. We want the best draft pick option at every round, even if our 1st is gone. Its total moron thinking from this team at every chance.

PIT was sitting at 15% chance to make the playoffs last time I checked, but are planning like its the other way around. If something is 85% likely to happen, you best plan around it. Rebuild!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just gonna watch and root for them to win. We have no chance at a top 5 pick.
We do…again, we can move up depending on results of draft lottery…we have better odds at moving up than we have of getting into the playoffs and/or winning a round lol

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Cool to see Sid getting back. I remember when Dupuis was randomly leaving games with a heart condition you could tell Sid was playing distracted and not at his best. Guentzel leaving felt like that, where his emotions and focus were elsewhere.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Isn’t it 3% to move up?
Yeah 3.5% to move up to #1 in the Pens current draft slot (10th).

Most likely the highest chance the Pens would be able to have at the #1 overall would be finishing 8th which gives a 6% chance. That's where NJ is currently.

Montreal is 8 points behind the Pens and they hold the 7th spot. The Pens are closer to a playoff spot than they are to catching Montreal.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Just gonna watch and root for them to win. We have no chance at a top 5 pick.
We're currently 8th in that chase, IF by some miracle we won the lottery wouldn't we pick 1st? Or, did they change the rules again? I thought two teams in the top 10 could move up.

We do…again, we can move up depending on results of draft lottery…we have better odds at moving up than we have of getting into the playoffs and/or winning a round lol
Absolutely, picking 8th isn't the end of the world either, as long as we take the best forward available.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We're currently 8th in that chase, IF by some miracle we won the lottery wouldn't we pick 1st? Or, did they change the rules again? I thought two teams in the top 10 could move up.
1710793705464.png

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not a lot of forwards available in this top ten. We'd most likely be targeting a top RHD at that pick.
Zayne Carekh is someone I'd love to snag in the 8-10 slot if that's where we end up. Give us a PP QB of the future and an exciting player to watch. So much high end skill.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Trying to get light beer Erik Karlsson?

I'd pray that Lindstrom would fall to us at 8.
I just want someone with some high end skill and not some boring two-way guy that Sully will turn into a 60 point defensive center or whatever.

Lindstrom would be cool too though. A legit giant skilled forward is something we haven't had in the system since...well...Malkin/Staal.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not a lot of forwards available in this top ten. We'd most likely be targeting a top RHD at that pick.
Then give up then. Drafting a defensemen that high unless it's a Pronger or Lidstrom is a waste of a pick. Take the best forward available.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
After this road trip we'll be 8th worst.
Think it'd be best if we just get 11th or 12th in the draft order and hand over the 1st to the Sharks this year. This draft is average. Maybe the next one won't be.
The Pens aren't gonna be ready to be competitive by 2028, when the next kid is ready to contribute. We'd be burning his ELC years for nothing.
Delaying only helps, buying more time for any picks to help the team when it matters more.

I'd actually prefer we gathered 2028 or 2029 1sts, because I can see us being a playoff team again in 2032 or 2033. At that time, the 1sts are probably in the midst of their ELC's, possibly being difference makers in the playoffs at pennies on the dollar. It's a similar concept to how Jake had a ELC in 2017 when he scored 13 goals in the playoffs. Rust was in the midst of his ELC in 2016 and 2017.
Murray too, during both Cups.

That's a big reason why we won. This stuff has to line up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Think it'd be best if we just get 11th or 12th in the draft order and hand over the 1st to the Sharks this year. This draft is average. Maybe the next one won't be.
The Pens aren't gonna be ready to be competitive by 2028, when the next kid is ready to contribute. We'd be burning his ELC years for nothing.
Delaying only helps, buying more time for any picks to help the team when it matters more.

I'd actually prefer we gathered 2028 or 2029 1sts, because I can see us being a playoff team again in 2032 or 2033. At that time, the 1sts are probably in the midst of their ELC's, possibly being difference makers in the playoffs at pennies on the dollar. It's a similar concept to how Jake had a ELC in 2017 when he scored 13 goals in the playoffs. Rust was in the midst of his ELC in 2016 and 2017.

If you can get a top 10 pick you take it. This team is trash, they'll be in the bottom 8-9 you watch.

As far as '28 or '29 I think before then we'll have our act together. Well, '28 maybe.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

While I hate the thought of potentially giving SJ a top 5 pick I don't think there's a huge chance of that next year unless there's injuries. I think at worst you see the Pens finish similarly to where they will this year which would give SJ like a 3-6% chance at a lottery pick from the Pens. Not ideal I guess but not the end of the world if they hit on the pick they make this year.

And I think the Pens could do quite a bit better than they have this year with the right moves this summer. Unfortunately those right moves include firing Sully which I don't think happens.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
While I hate the thought of potentially giving SJ a top 5 pick I don't think there's a huge chance of that next year unless there's injuries. I think at worst you see the Pens finish similarly to where they will this year which would give SJ like a 3-6% chance at a lottery pick from the Pens. Not ideal I guess but not the end of the world if they hit on the pick they make this year.
It depends on the depth of the draft classes. If they're finishing in a similar spot in both years and if this is the weaker draft of the two, it's better to hand over this one. Plus picks in years down the line is better than right now in our situation, for the reasons I talked about. They need to rise to the NHL level at the right time, when the team is ready.
And I think the Pens could do quite a bit better than they have this year with the right moves this summer. Unfortunately those right moves include firing Sully which I don't think happens.
Maybe a little better. Could be worse as well though. What if Sid falls off? Malkin's likely to only get worse. Letang too.
Regardless, there's way too weak of a foundation here to go deep in the playoffs. Next year will be much like this one, in that they're wasting time for the sake of feelings and ownership being unwilling to rebuild. The only thing they really accomplished this season is getting prospects for Guentzel.
As far as '28 or '29 I think before then we'll have our act together. Well, '28 maybe.
As in playoffs? That's super optimistic imo. They would have to be making serious strides in that direction right now, and they're not.
Hard to see a solid foundation being ready in 4 years. We have almost nothing in the cupboards. I don't like the math for 2028. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see playoffs for a decade, starting from here.

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad