GDT: Pens @ Islanders | 7:30PM 01/23/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Great another national tv game that I can't watch, since when does NBCSN show games on Thursdays?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I will cry when it's officially announced that Megna's sent down

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hopefully they build on what they did yesterday. Kobasew is giving me a twitch, I named it Gladamsew. I'm going to miss the last of our call ups, that and be deeply resentful of what we're left with.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Where's Scuds?

Also re: Bylsma's quote, how is Jussi Jokinen providing "secondary scoring?" He's on the 2nd line! Secondary scoring typically means scoring from the 3rd/4th lines.

Sorry, I was using old lines and forgot to put him in.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Is Strait really on their 1st D pairing?

Not really. MacDonald has played horribly this year, except for blocking shots, and has been paired with Strait the last few games. Strait has played very well, steady, simple game - it has helped MacDonald. But Capuano is still in love with AMac and overplays him - not good.

With Hamonic and Visnovsky out with concussions, the defense is very undermanned on paper, but getter pretty stellar hockey from Calvin deHaan, he will impress tonight, and Hickey has been excellent again this season.

Tavares' line will carry the team but the 4th line has also been great lately, as they were in the playoffs last year. The team needs the first line to score a lot and for Poulin to have a great game, zero penalties and the Isles have a chance!

Lines are:
Vanek Tavares Okposo
Regin Nielsen Bailey
Grabner Nelson Clutterbuck
Martin Cizikas McDonald

MacDonald Strait
DeHaan Donovan
Hickey Martinek

Watch AMac on the PP. Terrible. I'm hoping the Pens grab him at the deadline, for Despres or Maata. I also believe in Santa Claus. :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not really. MacDonald has played horribly this year, except for blocking shots, and has been paired with Strait the last few games. Strait has played very well, steady, simple game - it has helped MacDonald. But Capuano is still in love with AMac and overplays him - not good.

With Hamonic and Visnovsky out with concussions, the defense is very undermanned on paper, but getter pretty stellar hockey from Calvin deHaan, he will impress tonight, and Hickey has been excellent again this season.

Tavares' line will carry the team but the 4th line has also been great lately, as they were in the playoffs last year. The team needs the first line to score a lot and for Poulin to have a great game, zero penalties and the Isles have a chance!

I'm sure the refs have already decided the Pens will get more powerplay opportunities than they deserve. So the chances of zero penalties happening is slim. :sarcasm:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'm sure the refs have already decided the Pens will get more powerplay opportunities than they deserve. So the chances of zero penalties happening is slim. :sarcasm:

:)

I forgot.

Bettman sends those "memos" (he's old school, no emails) for every Pens game, with emphasis on USA telecasts, to ensure Crosby gets on the PP as often as possible.

The isles defense rarely has to hook and hold opposing forwards - like say, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Kobasew :) - they use their brute strength and "battle level" as Coach Capuano loves to say.

Good game gentlemen.

I look forward to Tavares' long overdue 5g 6a night, overtaking the lead in the Art Ross.

The main board will erupt.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
:)

I forgot.

Bettman sends those "memos" (he's old school, no emails) for every Pens game, with emphasis on USA telecasts, to ensure Crosby gets on the PP as often as possible.

The isles defense rarely has to hook and hold opposing forwards - like say, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Kobasew :) - they use their brute strength and "battle level" as Coach Capuano loves to say.

Good game gentlemen.

I look forward to Tavares' long overdue 5g 6a night, overtaking the lead in the Art Ross.

The main board will erupt.

Giving the Pens a bunch of powerplays doesn't really help them much, anyway. Seems like the PP is either lights out (going 3 for 4 or some such) or it looks like total and complete garbage (0 for 5, giving up a shorthanded goal, and killing momentum). There doesn't seem to be much of an in between.

I think the Isles will be more motivated for this one, simply because they're fighting for their playoff lives. They can't afford to lose or risk falling too far back. The Pens, on the other hand, have first in the division all but wrapped up (barring a monumental late season collapse) and are likely coasting the rest of the way. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles take the game tonight.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins

Andrew Ebbett, who was activated from IR earlier today, will NOT be in the lineup tonight, per coach Bylsma #Pens

Adams at 4LC, Adams at 4LC, Adams at 4LC, Adams at 4LC!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

tumblr_mwwwmfeOfb1smucxbo1_500.gif

Kunitz - Crosby - Kobasew
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Glass - Sutter - Pyatt
Megna (Glass, Glass will play there too because screw potential) - Adams - Engelland

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
How does Kobasew still get put on the 1st line? There is a reason why he hasn't scored in 26 games or what ever it is.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
What about the goals he's scored that haven't gone in?

Tonight will be a 50/50 game. If we can get up early and get some saves we'll win. We've got to do a good job defensively because you know their top line will score at least once.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
:laugh:
I think you only need to say it 3 times for the Bylsmagic to begin.

I had to laugh last night when Adams took a faceoff while Jokinen was on the ice. Craig of all trades. :thumbd:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't have a good feeling about this game. Tavares is creeping up on Sid in points and the Islanders always play us hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad