Speculation: Pens housecleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric J Rose

Aug 20, 2021
Does Mike Sullivan and rest of coaching staff survive until end of season, if so does anyone not get fired, including scooby dubas? while he inherited a mess people expected a turnaround not a debacle

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Sometimes the personnel you bring in doesn't mesh. I think KD did a fine job maneuvering with the hand he's was dealt.

EK has been fine IMO. I am perfectly fine with keeping him on the team. If this teams Powerplay had even a middle of the pack NHL rank his numbers along with many others would be much better including the teams record ( not that they are bad he's still at like an 80 point pace)(More on the Powerplay later)

Smith has not been good and was a top 6 replacement for Zucker who had a hell of a year with Malkin. I wasn't a big fan of this move. Sure as middle 6th depth nice but playing consistently on L2........negative. Now Geno is playing with players who should be on L3 and faced with shouldering the load. Still a great player but asking him to do the heavy lifting isn't doing him any favors.

KD brought in a ton of players including tryouts and retreads. Fact of the matter is none of them have worked out well due to Sullivans system. It doesn't work for our bottom 6 and it's been that way for years. It forces L1 and L2 to do all the work and while L1 can shoulder it. L2 is a mess with guys like Colin White, Puustinen (who I am growing on) DOC all trying to play with Geno and it's not good.

On to the Powerplay. This isn't or hasn't been an issue just this season. These issues have been going on ever since the playoffs drought of missing and 1st round exits 4-5 years ago. You are supposed to punish team for going to the box and we look lost. No movement, shooting into closed lanes, you have Geno Malkin playing the point which is asinine. Nobody in front of the net. This has been the teams biggest weakness and I believe mentally it has dragged the entire team down.

Sure players are to blame but coaching and philosophy has not changed for years and that is one of the main reasons for the unsuccessfulness of the team.

The coaching staff needs wiped. And this is coming from someone who in the past was a fan of Sullivan

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Eric J Rose

Aug 20, 2021
I’m not disagreeing overall, Sullivan system isn’t working as it first did or the players aren’t all doing their part in the system. As a whole we pens fans all knew the age of the team would catch up to them as well. As I stated, KD inherited a mess of ugly contracts and thankfully some of those will be off the books next year, I think we all know need to get younger but also need some physicality as well, the team has nobody other teams fear. I also know usually a team struggling like they are tends to start with coaches, look at Edmonton this season, look at Vancouver since tocchet took over there. Personally was hoping he’d end up behind pens bench.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
If the Penguins fire “Scooby Dubas” 1 year into a 8 year deal with full authority then they are more of a tire fire than I thought

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Does Mike Sullivan and rest of coaching staff survive until end of season, if so does anyone not get fired, including scooby dubas? while he inherited a mess people expected a turnaround not a debacle
What's the point in bringing somebody in now? It's probably best to wait until the end of the season and start fresh when the dust settles.

If the Penguins fire “Scooby Dubas” 1 year into a 8 year deal with full authority then they are more of a tire fire than I thought
It takes a special talent for a GM to get tossed after one year.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
It’s all up to Sid. If he wants to get traded they will blow it up. If he wants to stay, they clean up some spots and try again next season.

EK should stay. Trade away Smith and Eller and try to sign a good wing replacement for Guentzel. Then inject the youth, bring up Yager and Pono and maybe some other guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad