News Article: Pens Going the Distance to Build Winning Atmosphere

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah yeah, I know it's an article by R****. But it calls for no speculation so it's worth a read anyway.

The mandate of majority co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle is to “build the kind of franchise that people want to come and play for,†Morehouse said.

“We want to treat our players better than anybody else treats their players,†Morehouse said, recalling the two years team officials spent touring dressing rooms of NHL, NBA and MLB teams so that the Penguins could make good on Burkle's request to “build the best dressing room in sports.â€

“When players are traded here or sign here, we want them to know right away that they're going to be treated the best,†Morehouse said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3793109-74/penguins-iginla-crosby#axzz2PoiV2z9B

A lot of it is stuff we were already aware of or had heard but it's cool to see a new player like Iginla's take on how the organization treats its players.

Also, perhaps most of note from the article:

Crosby said there is a reason he never craved the opportunity to test his worth on the free-agent market. A year away from becoming the likely most-coveted free agent in NHL history, Crosby signed a 12-year extension last July.

“There's a lot of pressure that comes with committing to a team for so long,†Crosby said. “But when it comes to the guys here, we have a pretty good idea of what is expected of us, and we know what to expect.

“I think we all like that. I know it's something that I never take for granted and is something I wanted to be a part of for a long time.â€

Malkin, like Crosby a former MVP and scoring champion, said he wants to make a similar commitment to the Penguins this summer when he can sign an extension.

:handclap:

BigBenSF*

Lots of interesting quotes from Iggy in this one. Gives me optimism when it comes to his contract situation during the offseason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Good article. I wonder who Rossi plagiarized.

I don't think he's a terrible writer. I think he jumps the gun without confirmed sources too often and I think he knows less about hockey than he thinks he does. If he only wrote pieces with legitimate sources and about the people instead of the actual game, I bet we'd have a much different opinion of him.

Personally, I blame Bylsma for not putting him in a position to succeed.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Rossi can write puff pieces, hooray, let's make that his official title instead of beat writer.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Loved reading the bolder part. Having two of the greatest players in the world is unbelievably lucky.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I really hope something will get done in the off season for Iggy and he will be extended until retirement. We have not seen the best of him just yet

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Totally agree. He's such a terrible beat writer.

I like how along with letang and malkin, there is already talk of shero gunning for an iginla contract. I would love to think he's not just a rental player.

Why?

Seriously, besides a name what has he done so far? I know it's early and all, but lets wait and see how effective he is with the Pens.

So far hes looked like crap.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Rossi can write puff pieces, hooray, let's make that his official title instead of beat writer.

And thus Puff Rossi was born.

Admittedly he is better at this sort of stuff than the game analysis / trade analysis / free agency angles. It doesn't require him to think / know anything. :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why?

Seriously, besides a name what has he done so far? I know it's early and all, but lets wait and see how effective he is with the Pens.

So far hes looked like crap.

A couple things to keep in mind. He's playing on his off side for the first time in 16 years (if not longer). And the Pens are not healthy. Lets see what happens once Letang, Martin and Crosby are back. Honestly I'd move Iggy to Crosbys line once he's back so that he can play on his side.

Dupuis/JJ - Crosby - Iggy
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - JJ/Dupuis

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
And on Shero for not drafting better reporters. WVU? Common Ray!

Everyone knows Northwestern and Syracuse have the best J schools east of the Mississippi. Good, hardy NA Journlists; no Euros!
I bet Jarmo knows that. Maybe we can get Mario to trade for Jarmo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad