Post-Game Talk: Pens get Sabred by Buffalo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Another reason to play Ned more…if you needed one lol

“Penguins are 14-8-2 when they open the scoring, but 5-7-2 when their opponents get the first goal.”

we also were 1-2 this week and both losses at home…if we want to crawl out of the Metro basement we need to go at least 2-1 every week…

Last edited:

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Pretty disappointing loss, need to win these games.

- PP -> let it run through 65 not 71. Geno is acting to slow on the PP
- score on the chances
- let 48 play ffs

+ DOC with 71

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The more deserving team won.
Puustinen played 5:31, that's f***ing ridiculous
Idiots will blame Jarry.

The blame should be on:
t6a7CPD.png
Mr. 850 still hasn’t let in a bad goal.

The Phil Hellmuth of hockey for sure.

Idiots think it’s the goalies job to stop pucks, big brained chads know that speaking incoherently about why we lost is the real key to victory.

Reactions: BillyOcean

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Last night in the 2nd and 3rd would have been a great time for Sullivan to start playing with the lines. Not that it wasn't working per say but sometimes this team just needs a shake up IN-GAME.

We did see DOC in a couple shifts with Malkin late in the game but that's not enough. I think it's seriously time for them to consider something like:

Jake-Sid-Rakell
DOC-Malkin-Puustinen
Smith-Eller-Rust

And roll them like three scoring lines.

I don't know what got into DOC but he has the jump right now. Ride it. Puustinen got 7 points in 10 games in the top 6. Ride it. Smith has looked blah lately and Rust has been invisible since coming back. There is so little harm in trying this outside of some bruised egos that it's infuriating something of the sort isn't tried.

mismanaging rosters is my passion
Same. I also enjoy singing popular songs (particularly ones my wife likes) off-key, out of tune, and off-genre. Ever hear Fall Out Boy sung as a ballad? Inspiring stuff.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Idiots think it’s the goalies job to stop pucks, big brained chads know that speaking incoherently about why we lost is the real key to victory.
Geniuses whine about their goalie when their team needs a two minute 5 on 3 to score even one goal on the Sabres backup.

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Last night in the 2nd and 3rd would have been a great time for Sullivan to start playing with the lines. Not that it wasn't working per say but sometimes this team just needs a shake up IN-GAME.

We did see DOC in a couple shifts with Malkin late in the game but that's not enough. I think it's seriously time for them to consider something like:

Jake-Sid-Rakell
DOC-Malkin-Puustinen
Smith-Eller-Rust

And roll them like three scoring lines.

I don't know what got into DOC but he has the jump right now. Ride it. Puustinen got 7 points in 10 games in the top 6. Ride it. Smith has looked blah lately and Rust has been invisible since coming back. There is so little harm in trying this outside of some bruised egos that it's infuriating something of the sort isn't tried.

Same. I also enjoy singing popular songs (particularly ones my wife likes) off-key, out of tune, and off-genre. Ever hear Fall Out Boy sung as a ballad? Inspiring stuff.
I do think that this team needs new coach, whatever Sully is doing is not working the way it should be. Having said that, he definitively adjusted the system and the team is playing much better in the last few games. However, his ultimate demise is that once he thinks he figures something out it takes forever to see the obvious. Many examples: He thinks Acciari Harkins and Carter is some ultimate energy line and short of assination of one of them he won't change it, it is obvious that Puustinen would help PP whether PP1 or PP2, but no...he owes it to Rust and Rakell or Smith, it took forever to drop Smith down, even my wife figured this one out many games ago, and yes he does not believe in sparks in-game management...he trusts process...I can bet anything that he will have the same line up against Philly...he is a dinosour kind of coach by now, not nimble, not quick to adjust,,,,

Geniuses whine about their goalie when their team needs a two minute 5 on 3 to score even one goal on the Sabres backu
A team where goalies have saves above expected in the upper league echelon have othe problems that should be addressed

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Meant to make a point about Mikey Dipshit then just stopped caring halfway through the post.

Seeing Carter and Jansen Harkins out there in crucial moments is heartbreaking.

Luckily i'm not nearly as invested in this team anymore.
That was literally mind-blowing at that point.

It’s a one goal game with 4 minutes left in the third!

Yeah Sid’s line just had a shift, but then you send Malkin out, not Carkins. You still have a time out left to rest the big guns before pulling the goalie, etc.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they lose to the Flyers it’s pretty much over…these are 4 point games in the division and we just lost one we shouldn’t have to the Caps…

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

wow what a great point to make right after the coach that let him roll in that spot for those 28 games finally gives up and moves him down. i'll point out a player sucks right after the coach the demotes him and not a moment sooner

He's not Zucker at all. Way more offensive upside. Certainly worth the money and absolutely brings an element to this team....

Honestly, his last few weeks made me think that he's Carl Hagelin in Tanner Pearson's frame. Skates just a shy bit slower than Hagelin- but the nice thing about Hagelin was that he was paid less and actually had vision to create some offense time to time (just couldn't score).

Not sure how it's a mystery to anyone that our 16.1M dollar second line is one of the biggest craters this team has. Sure the bottom 6 sucks and we'd like to see some more rotations....but my God if this team isn't 1 player and a goalie on most nights. Beating the dead horse here but with new weapons each week. Oh it's Smith. Oh it's the bottom 6. Rakell. - yeah, we've known for several seasons now that the offense is utterly one dimensional and clicks far less often than required for what is often required on competitive teams. Cannot believe an in season trade has not yet happened. The coaching is what it is at this point but to look at this roster and think you did a good job without any tweaking necessary is madness.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Geniuses whine about their goalie when their team needs a two minute 5 on 3 to score even one goal on the Sabres backup.
Here's my problem with that.

1. Tuch's goal was extraordinarily weak for Jarry to let in. That caused us to chase the game early. The second goal wasn't great either. UPL saved similar shots multiple times throughout the game.
2. We scored two that got called back and carry the vast majority of the play 5v5. So it's not like we had trouble scoring, technically speaking.
3. The 5on3 had multiple chances and one finally went. It either scores or it doesn't. Time taken is an irrelevant stat when success is measured on a binary "goal or no-goal" basis.
4. Comments like this are predicated on the idea that the game is only won and lost by the Penguins. If they win - oh, they outplayed the other team. If they lose - oh, it was the Penguins playing bad and nothing else. We tend to forget that the play of the other team obviously has a major impact on the game. We are no longer "that good" that we only lose games on our own accord. There is so much parity in the league that even "bad teams" are still very capable teams. Luukkonen played a very good game. Even if his stats aren't great, they are not automatic predictors of future single-game performance.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
wow what a great point to make right after the coach that let him roll in that spot for those 28 games finally gives up and moves him down. i'll point out a player sucks right after the coach the demotes him and not a moment sooner
Did you expect any different from Yohe? Sullivan is his God and he won't say anything that might sound like it's questioning the coach.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
3. The 5on3 had multiple chances and one finally went. It either scores or it doesn't. Time taken is an irrelevant stat when success is measured on a binary "goal or no-goal" basis.
A two minute 5 on 3 is almost an automatic goal if your PP unit has the first clue what it's doing. I mentioned it because the fact that we only managed to score after this chance served on a silver platter is pretty telling.

We have seen this kind of scenario happen way too many times over the past few seasons to put any stock in excuses like "they were unlucky", "didn't get the bounces", etc. Yes, there is parity in the league and in isolation games like this are a nothingburger but the trend is very clear. Every time the Pens seem to be going somewhere they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Sometimes the goalie blow. Sometimes the forwards can't score in a brothel. Sometimes the defense is amateur hour. Sometimes the entire team fails to show up.

And the common team is they are not maximising their chances for success. They love pretty passing plays which are too risky, especially when the team is nervous and in need of a goal right now. They take their foot off the pedal after finally getting the goal they need. They can't play a 60 minute game to save their lives. They don't like playing much neutral zone defense. And so on.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's not Zucker at all. Way more offensive upside. Certainly worth the money and absolutely brings an element to this team....

Honestly, his last few weeks made me think that he's Carl Hagelin in Tanner Pearson's frame. Skates just a shy bit slower than Hagelin- but the nice thing about Hagelin was that he was paid less and actually had vision to create some offense time to time (just couldn't score).

Not sure how it's a mystery to anyone that our 16.1M dollar second line is one of the biggest craters this team has. Sure the bottom 6 sucks and we'd like to see some more rotations....but my God if this team isn't 1 player and a goalie on most nights. Beating the dead horse here but with new weapons each week. Oh it's Smith. Oh it's the bottom 6. Rakell. - yeah, we've known for several seasons now that the offense is utterly one dimensional and clicks far less often than required for what is often required on competitive teams. Cannot believe an in season trade has not yet happened. The coaching is what it is at this point but to look at this roster and think you did a good job without any tweaking necessary is madness.
It's the coach.

I don't understand why anyone still wouldn't see the pattern at this point. Player X comes in with high hopes, gets off to a strong start and we (the fans) start loving the acquisition, only for them to fade and fade the longer they're under the guidance of Sullivan.

It's happened with pretty much every single acquisition, and yet folks still discuss the individual players to try and figure out why they're struggling. This time it's Smith.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's the coach.

I don't understand why anyone still wouldn't see the pattern at this point. Player X comes in with high hopes, gets off to a strong start and we (the fans) start loving the acquisition, only for them to fade and fade the longer they're under the guidance of Sullivan.

It's happened with pretty much every single acquisition, and yet folks still discuss the individual players to try and figure out why they're struggling. This time it's Smith.

It’s also on the coach for having players like DOC and Puusy obviously driving play and then placing them on the third line. We’ve seen this shit so many years in a row. Smith should be on L3 if “performance matters”.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It's the coach.

You can use this argument - often - for our rotating bottom 6 and defense under Sully.

It is not fair to use it for the top 6. They're literally running carte blanche out there nightly, allowed to do whatever the F they feel like and are given pretty much every opportunity to succeed offensively.

That's what makes Eller doing anything offensive at all impressive and what makes the lack of offensive production from players like Simon, Zucker, Rust, Smith, etc. over the years utterly unacceptable. Dude has been stapled to Geno all season regardless of results while players like - recently - Puustinen are getting no time at all in the top 6 and their production dropping.

...essentially: dude isn't a fit here. Obviously doesn't suck and is obviously an NHL talent - but he's a waste of a roster spot/cap space on this Penguins team (as constructed). Again, no brainer here and why plenty of us hated the acquisition of Zucker 2.0. He is NOT what this team has needed and other than being a 'free asset' I have no clue what they were thinking in acquiring him. Tarasenko would have been a hell of a lot better move but....yeah, here we are.

Geno needs someone to help elevate his line offensively because, outside of a shift here or there, he can't be relied upon to do it all any more. That's again where folks (myself included) see him making a shift to wing here (hopefully) soon. It's why JT Miller would have been an absolute dynamite acquisition. It's, again, why players like Rakell and Smith won't EVER do anything for Malkin. Not now, not yesterday, not next season. Waste of 16M nightly.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
After the refs called off the second goal because...Luukkonen smelled him or whatever the reason, it was clear the Pens weren't going to win as the hockey gods weren't going to allow it. Sure the first called off goal, was offside and the right call was made. The second...nah...

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
After the refs called off the second goal because...Luukkonen smelled him or whatever the reason, it was clear the Pens weren't going to win as the hockey gods weren't going to allow it. Sure the first called off goal, was offside and the right call was made. The second...nah...
Blaming the refs or the hockey "gods" is an excuse for loser teams.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Guentzel bumped into a goalie who was in his crease. Textbook interference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad