Speculation: Pens draft strategy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think BPA matters in the first few rounds. And if the guy that falls to you happens to fill a role you have a glut of you can take him to flip him later or trade down and get another asset, even if it's just a late pick. Or trade up to fill a need. But after about round 3 it's probably pretty subjective because you're comparing kids with more obvious flaws that are various ages across a dozen different leagues at different positions with much smaller samples to go by so you can pretty much just narrow it down to a few and go with your gut.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't have a problem using late round picks on role player types, as long as they have something that stands out about them, like size, speed or a projectable skillset. I mean, if it comes down to a boom or bust type vs. a blah, vanilla player whose best attribute is that they're "safe," then by all means pick the former.

I'm fine with grabbing a player like Pavlychev in the 7th round, I mean, why not?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
We need to draft prospects from the CHL ... next season we have Sprong and Lindo and nobody else! We have too many NCAA prospects, we need to diversify better.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Always draft best player available. The problem is what are the criteria used to determine that.

That was Shero's problem - his criteria were out of whack.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Always draft best player available. The problem is what are the criteria used to determine that.

That was Shero's problem - his criteria were out of whack.

I don't even think Shero went for BPA. He had a vision of how he would do things, and how they'd play out, and nothing ended up coming to fruition.

Wasn't he publicly quoted as saying something like "Hey man, PMD are the most valuable players. We're gonna stock up on d-men and flip 'em to fill out the rest of our needs."

Too bad there's like a boatload of issues with that line of thinking. Namely; 1. you will never have enough spots to continue to develop and increase all of their trade value, 2. picks don't always pan out, 3. you need a dance partner in a trade, and trying to find someone who needs d-men badly enough to move top flight, young forwards is stacking the odds against you.

Didn't matter for Shero. He kept at it, much like his entire philosophy with regard to being a GM. "If it worked one time, that's the only way to do it. Stay the course, never change, never adapt. Hold steady."

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I said later rounds.

I'm not referring to you, specifically. Just a general comment about goalies. Draft position and how good the guy ends up being seems a lot less accurate of a predictor for goaltenders than forwards.

But yes, low round goaltenders seem to have a much better chance of making it than, say, forwards. Seems like there's a lot more starters that came out of nowhere than there are top liners that did.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I think we need to be aggressive in the latter rounds and go for European players and/or higher risk guys.

But does it even matter? We'll sit any promising player on the bench or 4th line then complain when they don't produce or trade them for Ben Lovejoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad