Post-Game Talk: Pens Devs (04/09/21)

Stars of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For me it’s that and the young guys we have in the system. 3 years would be off the table for me because I think we will be seeing at least 2 of them ready for the NHL in 1-2 more years in Vukojevic, Bahl, Okhotiuk and Muk (All 4 play LD). 1 year would be a good stop gap and 2 years I could be talked into.
1 would be great, but I’m hesitant to do 2 because I think Kulikov may very well be playing above his head this year.

And he’s easily been the third best defenseman on the team behind Severson and Smith, I mean, it’s not even debatable that anybody else has been better than him. Subban isn’t terrible like I thought he was earlier in the year, but he isn’t particularly good anymore either. Murray has underwhelmed and Vatanen just looks like his career is over in the NHL and has really showcased why no one signed him until January 7th. And it doesn’t look like he’ll generate any interest on Monday. Butcher fell out of favor, but didn’t look any good when he did play.

it’s just that I have my doubts that this is sustainable going forward from him. And he hasn’t exactly been sheltered either. So we’ll be re-signing him and likely giving him these types of minutes again next year, if we do bring him back.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So then it was basically just your standard NHL officiating for all Penguins games.

Yes. Exactly this.

The crazy part is they get twice as much favoritism against the flyers. I actually feel bad for philly watching their games against pit.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kulikov is a steady stay at home dman who doesn’t rely on skating or skill to be effective. He’d be a safe 2-3 year signing at this point in his career, anything more then no.

Reactions: BurntToast

Camille the Eel

When he is playing with someone younger he seems to feel ok doing his thing but when he's paired with a vet he seems to feel he has to play differently and it throws off his intuition or natural positioning.

He makes these crazy quick/slick plays on the boards with the puck to protect from the attacker and escape pressure like a 10 year vet but then makes bone headed quick passes into traffic like he's trying to back out of the play to be "safe". Overall he's got an A grade from me on the season regardless but I wish he trusted his decisions more and wasn't playing like he's trying not to screw up and get on the coaches bad side.

His instincts seem great, just execution shaky once he makes a mistake. Confidence lets him shine. Just ask the Spokane Chiefs.
With the puck on his stick he makes plays you can’t teach. Wish he’d forget the drop pass on the power play entry just once in a while. When he jukes the first two defenders - even with one guy behind - we have a 3 on 2 ahead. Take it to the net just once in a while. And yeah he’s a keeper. Gifted kid.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Kulikov is a steady stay at home dman who doesn’t rely on skating or skill to be effective. He’d be a safe 2-3 year signing at this point in his career, anything more then no.

I'd be much more inclined to keep Murray than Kulikov to be honest. Younger, longer track record of top 4 play and could actually be had at a reasonable cost compared to his value moving forward.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'd be much more inclined to keep Murray than Kulikov to be honest. Younger, longer track record of top 4 play and could actually be had at a reasonable cost compared to his value moving forward.
I would bring back both on 2 year deals so we don’t have to rush any kids and not have to rely on trades or FA to fill in the gaps. Also, I believe it is more important to have a solid vet presence on D. We won’t be bringing back Vats so let one of the kids try to fight for that spot.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
I would bring back both on 2 year deals so we don’t have to rush any kids and not have to rely on trades or FA to fill in the gaps. Also, I believe it is more important to have a solid vet presence on D. We won’t be bringing back Vats so let one of the kids try to fight for that spot.
Not sure we will have the space

Severson, Subban, Smith, one of Murray/Kulikov, Butcher, and Bahl

Bahl will be 21 and is 6'6", IMO hes the obvious choice for the next guy who gets a step up to the team.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Not sure we will have the space

Severson, Subban, Smith, one of Murray/Kulikov, Butcher, and Bahl

Bahl will be 21 and is 6'6", IMO hes the obvious choice for the next guy who gets a step up to the team.
unfortunately i don’t think Bahl has played well enough yet. someone like Okhutyuk i can def see stepping up to the big league next year tho

Reactions: Hockey Fanatik

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
unfortunately i don’t think Bahl has played well enough yet. someone like Okhutyuk i can def see stepping up to the big league next year tho
Ohkotyuk is good size too, I liked him when we drafted him. Plays with an edge too

Thought he was a year younger but appears not. He very well could make it over Bahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad