GDT: Pens @ Devils - The Grinch! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't really see age as an excuse per se, in the sense that progress isn't always linear for young players. Fact is that, even though Jack is in his third season, he hasn't played that much hockey, and has had to go though some pretty serious stuff early in his career. Of course other young players have been through some hardships, but not everyone goes through it the same way.

When I say that Jack is 20, I don't mean it to say that we should just accept bad play from him. I mean it more in the sense that Jack has time to figure out those aspects, and is currently learning the NHL game.
Is the bolded really happening? Who is he learning it from? The below average players around him? This coaching staff that can't even fix the most broken power play I've ever seen? The leadership of an organization that handed him the keys to the race car while he's still learning how to drive?

We've seen/heard this same message about how many players over the years now, and it seemingly just never happens. I don't understand where this faith comes from. I get that people will just dismiss my perception as "pessimistic", but it's not baseless. It's the product of years and years of promises of great things to come that never actually come.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Is the bolded really happening? Who is he learning it from? The below average players around him? This coaching staff?

We've seen/heard this same message about how many players over the years now, and it seemingly just never happens. I don't understand where this faith comes from. I get that people will just dismiss my perception as "pessimistic", but it's not baseless. It's the product of years and years of promises of great things to come that never actually come.
I can 100% understand people's pessimism about this team, the results haven't been there for years, but I believe in context and choose to be optimistic for the future. To each their own.

As for Jack learning, I do think it's happening. I don't really trust the current coaching staff (nor do I think they'll stay here for long), but who knows what's happening behind the scenes and how they develop guys. I also tend to trust Fitz's vision of things and plan. I don't think his goal is to just let the kids figure it out. He seems willing to bring in veteran guys to surround them, which can also help the young guys learn. Sure, some of them haven't worked as much as initially planned, but I don't hate Fitz's thinking at all.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
holy shit man do you read this stuff? you make it sound like this is a team of freaking babies! and if its remotely close to like this on the actual team then 1000000000% yes this franchise is in huge trouble. first what msg would it send to the league? uh who cares? last time i looked players aren't beating down the door to come here and i think another bottom 3 finish hurts our "image" a lot more then taking away a letter. second the reason we are taking it away is because the team isn't responding to his "leadership" its actually going backwards. we don't replace him with anyone until its earned go without a captain. yes i do expect nico to stay because hes an adult and i would hope a professional and can understand that. if he can't? then he shouldn't be captain anyway. you don't need to look far for an example this team did it with elias. his number is hanging in the rafters it worked out ok
So you basically have no real answer or an example of when this was done, if ever in the NHL.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I agree with all of this...unfortunately what it reveals is that this organization's culture sucks. Nico should not have been gifted the C. No one should have considering that not a single player on this roster has proven diddly squat both in terms of leadership or on-ice results. But that's the kind of environment this franchise is building...one where players are handed the keys to the castle not based on what they actually are, but rather where they were drafted and being below a certain age.
Do you thinking taking it away now solves anything?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Is the bolded really happening? Who is he learning it from? The below average players around him? This coaching staff that can't even fix the most broken power play I've ever seen? The leadership of an organization that handed him the keys to the race car while he's still learning how to drive?

Well, in fairness, it's not until a couple years ago did our prospect pipeline become legit, when Shero took over Lou left him nothing, I remember when Reid Boucher was considered our Alexander Holtz, that's how bad our prospects were. Rebuilding your pool does take some time.

Also worth of note - the Devils front office doesn't have an illusions on what they expected from this team, I wish I could remember what insider said it but Fitz and Co. still consider the team two years away.

I just don't think they expected this season to play out this bad.

And don't forget this, we do have Marty in the front office, I do take comfort in knowing he's behind the scenes.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
As far as Nico...I have nothing against him as a player, in a vacuum. He's a hard worker, a 200 foot player, can put up 50 points a season. That's a player you want on your roster. My criticisms has always been in relation to his draft position and the state of this organization. Acknowledging that when you're insisting on making your team better almost exclusively through the draft, you simply cannot afford to have only one top line producer come out of two first overalls and numerous other high draft picks.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
As far as Nico...I have nothing against him as a player, in a vacuum. He's a hard worker, a 200 foot player, can put up 50 points a season. That's a player you want on your roster. My criticisms has always been in relation to his draft position and the state of this organization. Acknowledging that when you're insisting on making your team better almost exclusively through the draft, you simply cannot afford to have only one top line producer come out of two first overalls and numerous other high draft picks.
Once a player is drafted, I forget where they were drafted, it just never made sense to hold it against a player who had no control on where they got selected. And as far as Nico, we could have drafted Nolan Patrick instead.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Is what it is... imagine we went with Patrick ? It's not Nico's fault there wasn't a generational player available in that draft. Petterson has been meh as well the last 18 months. Makar obviously should of been #1 in hindsight but no one was taking him there so I don't fault Shero.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Well, in fairness, it's not until a couple years ago did our prospect pipeline become legit, when Shero took over Lou left him nothing, I remember when Reid Boucher was considered our Alexander Holtz, that's how bad our prospects were. Rebuilding your pool does take some time.

No one at the time thought Reid Boucher was a bad prospect. Far from it, this board pumped his tires in much the same way they do with other prospects now.

I just have a philosophically different viewpoint on prospects as a result of years of promised potential that never pans out. To me, it doesn't matter that Holtz is a "better" prospect than Boucher was. If he doesn't turn into anything more than Boucher was, it's all one and the same in the end. You want to prove to me that our drafting is better now? Then show me players that in fact actually turn out better than our old prospects.

Also worth of note - the Devils front office doesn't have an illusions on what they expected from this team, I wish I could remember what insider said it but Fitz and Co. still consider the team two years away.

I just don't think they expected this season to play out this bad.
There has been zero progress as a team. None. Zip. Zilch. This season may wind up being the worst one so far in this rebuild despite being several years into it now. I honestly don't care what management says. Their actions and the results are really the only thing that matters.

And don't forget this, we do have Marty in the front office, I do take comfort in knowing he's behind the scenes.

I took comfort in Marty being up there at first too. But given what I've seen, I'm not sure what he's really doing for us other than designing horrible third jerseys.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Hughes was a -3 last year, not a plus player so I have no idea where you're pulling that from. And just for context that put him squarely in the middle of the pack amongst his teammates in that category.

We literally just went over this last week. He was a + player 5v5. If you don't understand how +/- is calculated, that's on you.

We have a second year fourth liner who the coach has been lining up against top line players this season - he's a -3 which puts him in the top 10 players on this team within that category. I guess Mcleod's performance this year is just as "impressive" as Jack's using your logic? But this is another great example of shifting the goal posts - this is not at all the stat category anyone would be citing as evidence of how good Jack is prior to this year.

The only reason I use 5v5 plus/minus is because people like you hate shot stats. Hughes's shot stats were excellent last year. They're indicative of a player who is figuring out what to do against NHL opposition.

I can tell you exactly what Jack is right now. He's a guy who can produce at a 0.5 ppg clip on his natural talent. But his decision making and puck management is atrocious. He attempts to make passes and dekes that he's not talented enough to pull off against NHL caliber opponents. He gets knocked down too easily. Yes he might improve in these areas, but - and this is the point that someone like you just refuses to acknowledge - there's been no visible improvement in these areas from game 1 to now game 130. So when I say someone is not proving they are as good as they hype, it's not just about what they are doing today...it's about the progress they have or haven't made.

And this is ludicrous. Jack Hughes's rookie season, the Devils got 45% of the shots when Hughes was on the ice, and I would absolutely agree with a lot of these criticisms. He was not good enough and he was making some poor decisions consistently. He wasn't aware of his limitations.

Jack Hughes's second season, the Devils got 52.8% of the shots when he was on the ice. How can you not call that improvement? Now, that said, he has obviously regressed some so far this year, as he has returned to forcing some pucks, and he's also just not as good at the backcheck as he was last year either. His timing is off. The Devils results with him on the ice are back into the 40s. But there was progress made last season, and what I assume, again, is that when a player is 19, and reaches a certain plateau in performance, he will again make it there. The list of players who peaked at 19 is very short. The list of players who peaked later is much longer. If we see a season of this, I will be worried; I don't think we will, though.

In regards to Ty Smith...I haven't really ever claimed that he's not living up to the hype because 1) I don't think he was ever pumped up to the extent that other prospects were, and 2) He had a decent rookie campaign before shitting the bed this year. I haven't said anything about him other than echoing what most other people have said. The only reason he came up in this discussion is because you brought him into it, not me.

I am actually trying to diagnose the problems with this year's team instead of just shouting the same generalities, yes. Ty Smith's poor play is one of them, Jack Hughes's is another.

This is a contradictory and non-sensical statement. I'd only be always right about them if they never prove themselves. Is it not your insistence that the players in question will prove themselves, and thus at some point I will be wrong? Unlike certain people, I will happily acknowledge I was wrong if/when that happens, especially since it would likely mean that the team I root for will no longer be a giant pile of suck.

No, it isn't. You just sit back and have to be coached to give real opinions on anyone who hasn't played 300 games already. 'Is this player good? I don't know. He hasn't proven it.' 150 games later. 'Oh, okay, he is good. Now he proved it.' It's just non-falsifiable - you can't be wrong because you never gave an opinion in the first place other than 'players have to prove themselves to be good, and I won't offer an opinion either way until that happens.' All you suckers on the Hockey's Future website saying people might be good - what are you even doing here?'

We don't know, yet you insinuate it to be the case. Based on what exactly...because his stat line since the injury hasn't been good?

The point is that we don't know. It may or may not be the case.

OK...he's also been getting paired with an atrocious Ty Smith for a chunk of that time. And the team as a whole has absolutely stunk. But sure...the more convenient narrative (despite not being any more likely) is that it was the injury and by extension everyone else's shitty play must be because of injuries too. What's great about it for someone like you, is that you can find these kinds of things every single season. If the team/player is good for the year, it would be something you wouldn't even look at. But, if the team/player is bad, well, you've always got the ready made rationalization for the bad performance ready to go. This is basically the definition of finding excuses.

Yes, every year every good player gets hurt, or looks considerably worse than earlier iterations of themselves.

Do you ever stop to think why it is that top teams always seem to have these players that come out of nowhere to help the team through adversity like major injuries, or do you honestly think that these good teams are just perennially lucky? They have a great system in place, great leadership, a strong winning culture and work ethic, great coaching...these are things that will induce otherwise average players to step up when needed, even if just on a temporary basis. "The sum is greater than the individual parts". I know you don't believe in these things because they can't be measured on a pie chart or heat map, but the proof is in the pudding.

Except that it stops, have you ever noticed that? Have you noticed that top teams stop being top teams? Under this rationale, top teams would just stay on top forever because of their organizational structure, but nobody does - organizations ossify and start making poor decisions and start assuming they can just gin up Evan Rodrigues level improvements from players who aren't capable of that. So no, I don't think that the Penguins are perennially lucky, but that specifically, Evan Rodrigues performance is lucky, yes. Nobody expected this, and nobody does this consistently. Maybe the Panthers will start doing it consistently.

And let's not pretend that Evan Rodriguez is the only reason that treaded water during that time. The Penguins have been doing this for years. Have you ever looked up their records when both Crosby and Malkin are out of the lineup? As of 2016 they are 48-22-5 when both guys are injured. I don't have the exact record to add to that over the last five years, but we know it's certainly over .500. Essentially they have a better regular season winning percentage when those guys are out than when they are in. That big of a sample size cannot be attributed to luck or randomness.

What's their identity, though? Do they have one? Anyway, that is impressive, but is also a testament to the other players they've had, and I imagine that the size of it is luck, yes. You realize that if you don't attribute a 48-22-5 record without Crosby and Malkin as being somewhat lucky, that you are basically saying that Crosby and Malkin don't add anything to the team, right?

You forgot that this is a poorly constructed roster with too many one-dimensional forwards who aren't even all that great at that one dimension. And a prospect pool that has up to this date failed to produce more than one first line caliber producer.

Yeah, it isn't all there yet. They need some upgrades.

This is a copy/paste statement that never actually comes to pass going on several years now.

The biggest reason it doesn't is the awful goaltending, which is almost never mentioned by you or anyone else down on the team.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Once a player is drafted, I forget where they were drafted, it just never made sense to hold it against a player who had no control on where they got selected. And as far as Nico, we could have drafted Nolan Patrick instead.

Is what it is... imagine we went with Patrick ? It's not Nico's fault there wasn't a generational player available in that draft. Petterson has been meh as well the last 18 months. Makar obviously should of been #1 in hindsight but no one was taking him there so I don't fault Shero.

I mean, we can speak like this about any player. It's not Sharangovich or Kuok's fault that we are relying on them to be top six guys when they probably really aren't. It's not Blackwood's fault that the org anointed him our next great goaltender and it's starting to look like he's actually not. You can make these kinds of statements about any player.

It's besides the point - we are not in good shape to improve significantly anytime soon despite being bad for as long as we have. There are major changes and moves that need to be made in order to change things. And the big million dollar question is - do we have the organizational leadership and management to do it?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No one at the time thought Reid Boucher was a bad prospect. Far from it, this board pumped his tires in much the same way they do with other prospects now.

I just have a philosophically different viewpoint on prospects as a result of years of promised potential that never pans out. To me, it doesn't matter that Holtz is a "better" prospect than Boucher was. If he doesn't turn into anything more than Boucher was, it's all one and the same in the end. You want to prove to me that our drafting is better now? Then show me players that in fact actually turn out better than our old prospects.

You just throw up your hands and say 'I cannot evaluate this on my own. I rely on this board to tell me about prospects and they have been unreliable in the past, therefore, it is totally unknowable'.

Alex Holtz is a much better prospect than Reid Boucher. He's far from a guarantee. But again, you have to know who to listen to about prospects and not just lump opinions together as 'the board's opinion'.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

All of them by default lol. Seriously, what prospects from the end of Lou's era worked out? Very few.

There has been zero progress as a team. None. Zip. Zilch. This season may wind up being the worst one so far in this rebuild despite being several years into it now. I honestly don't care what management says. Their actions and the results are really the only thing that matters.

Let's not forget we got one helluva of an AHL team that is pretty stocked, not too mention Tyce Thompson who before he got hurt finally was showing us something, I think healthy he would be in the regular lineup as he does bring much needed grit. But we're too soft and signing Tatar was a signing we didn't need. And I know Fitz had few options.

But the elephant in the room is our coaching staff, the only person I trust behind that bench is Chris Taylor. I used to think Ruff was capable but over time I see things that make me go hmmmmmm.....

I took comfort in Marty being up there at first too. But given what I've seen, I'm not sure what he's really doing for us other than designing horrible third jerseys.
I like them, either way so he's not a fashion designer lol.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You just throw up your hands and say 'I cannot evaluate this on my own. I rely on this board to tell me about prospects and they have been unreliable in the past, therefore, it is totally unknowable'.

Alex Holtz is a much better prospect than Reid Boucher. He's far from a guarantee. But again, you have to know who to listen to about prospects and not just lump opinions together as 'the board's opinion'.
No that's not it, and you're missing the point and over-simplifying what this is all about.

I understand that someone like Holtz is a "better" prospect than Boucher was, and I understand why, and I understand that it goes beyond just the opinions of this board.
But in the end it doesn't f***ing matter, man. This organization now has a track record of not developing top end talent, regardless of all of that. For you, that counts for nothing. But for me, I just don't trust any of it anymore. I certainly don't trust this org to get it right. So yeah, show me the proof. Until then I'm not letting this team get my hopes up only to dash them again for the umpteenth time. f*** that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

they don't have any control but a player DOES want to get drafted as high as possible though. it is 100% ok to compare a player production to where they were drafted otherwise how would you know if you got good value from the player. should the devils have taken nolan over nico? no but that still doesn't mean nico imo hasn't lived up to the "hype" of a 1oa pick. player can still be good. just like zacha noway is he a 6oa

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
All of them by default lol. Seriously, what prospects from the end of Lou's era worked out? Very few.
Please, let's not get into this again. Comparing apples to oranges considering the vast majority of those prospects were not high draft picks, and from a quantity standpoint we also had far fewer.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I mean, we can speak like this about any player. It's not Sharangovich or Kuok's fault that we are relying on them to be top six guys when they probably really aren't. It's not Blackwood's fault that the org anointed him our next great goaltender and it's starting to look like he's actually not. You can make these kinds of statements about any player.

It's besides the point - we are not in good shape to improve significantly anytime soon despite being bad for as long as we have. There are major changes and moves that need to be made in order to change things. And the big million dollar question is - do we have the organizational leadership and management to do it?
Ok, but their roles and where they play is current events, not from 2017. It matters to me what is happening down the road, not in my rearview mirror.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
they don't have any control but a player DOES want to get drafted as high as possible though. it is 100% ok to compare a player production to where they were drafted otherwise how would you know if you got good value from the player. should the devils have taken nolan over nico? no but that still doesn't mean nico imo hasn't lived up to the "hype" of a 1oa pick. player can still be good. just like zacha noway is he a 6oa
Honestly, that's all pretty irrelevant to me, you can't go back and fix it. And I never said no one else can, I just said I don't care to do it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I am glad you are not running the team because that's plain utterly ridiculous. It solves nothing and will just cause the team more issues.

ok? and i'm glad you aren't running it because you would want to be everyones best friend and be a country club. oh wait a min

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
jack is playing like garbage. his shoulder injury doesnt hinder his ability to backcheck or make safe simple plays with the puck. last night when he made that shitty pass to hamilton on the PP that directly resulted in a goal, that had nothing to do with his shoulder. the kid makes boneheaded plays way too often for a 3rd year PROFESSIONAL hockey player. im not seeing his decision making improve at the rate that i would have hoped. i would argue that mercer as a rookie shows more maturity and better decision making than jack. jack better take his head out of his ass or we are screwed.

kid has the marbles to come out with dumb ass videos of himself saying that he is a star in the making… LETS SEE IT.

the confidence in himself is somewhat reassuring that he will eventually figure it out… but man he is not making it a pleasant journey.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad