Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
No morning skate for the rest of the team but a couple players did skate this morning including Crosby, i'd say there's a good chance he's back in tonight.

Lapierre is also expected to play.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
My guess for lines are

KCP
BB Sutter Horny
Spaling Lapierre Downie
Sill Ebbett Adams

Its hard to predict MJ lines, hes unpredictable, but i do think there is a good chance we see that top 6 tonight.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
My guess for lines are

KCP
BB Sutter Horny
Spaling Lapierre Downie
Sill Ebbett Adams

Its hard to predict MJ lines, hes unpredictable, but i do think there is a good chance we see that top 6 tonight.

I think the top-6 is a safe bet. The bottom six is a little trickier, Arcobello might be in for Ebbett.

I'd like to see Downie and Lappy on the same line. I think it'd be pretty entertaining.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think the top-6 is a safe bet. The bottom six is a little trickier, Arcobello might be in for Ebbett.

I'd like to see Downie and Lappy on the same line. I think it'd be pretty entertaining.

MJ talked yesterday how he liked the 4th line, so i was thinking he would keep them together, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me either if Ebbett ends up being a healthy scratch.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
My preferred lines:

P - C - H
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - LaPierre - Downie
Sill - Arco/Ebbett - Adams

Then again, MJ has proven he doesn't give a crap that P - C - H would be the best first line the Pens have had since the Mario days...

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
MJ talked yesterday how he liked the 4th line, so i was thinking he would keep them together, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me either if Ebbett ends up being a healthy scratch.

I liked what Arcobello was doing in the offensive zone with puck retrieval and in the defensive zone with his backchecking. Obviously his height and shot are issues, but I'd rather see him get playing time if only so the Pens can decide if he's worth a contract spot.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
My preferred lines:

P - C - H
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - LaPierre - Downie
Sill - Arco/Ebbett - Adams

Then again, MJ has proven he doesn't give a crap that P - C - H would be the best first line the Pens have had since the Mario days...

He has? Those three players have never been in the lineup all at the same time. I don't expect him to ice that line tonight, or at least until he experiments with Hornqvist and Malkin again, but he hasn't even had a chance to prove how he feels about those three players together.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
He has? Those three players have never been in the lineup all at the same time. I don't expect him to ice that line tonight, or at least until he experiments with Hornqvist and Malkin again, but he hasn't even had a chance to prove how he feels about those three players together.

Yeah I guess that's true, but you would think, knowing that horny was coming back soon, that he would have kept Perron on the left and left Downie on the right so Downie and Horny could swap when he came back. Seems weird the way he did it and it leads me to believe that Patric will be on line 2. Then again...where does Beau go then, hopefully not on the left....

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Yeah I guess that's true, but you would think, knowing that horny was coming back soon, that he would have kept Perron on the left and left Downie on the right so Downie and Horny could swap when he came back. Seems weird the way he did it and it leads me to believe that Patric will be on line 2. Then again...where does Beau go then, hopefully not on the left....

I sincerely hope he tries out a lot of different combinations, even if that means that some posters' heads ultimately explode. The regular season is exactly the time to get a look at what's possible, even if some of it is not deemed ideal by many.

In any case, the bigger tragedy is that this is another late game even though it's on the East Coast.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I think he wants to try Hornqvist and Malkin together again, and he likely won't deviate from that plan until he has a chance to thoroughly examine it. That's not what I would do, but it is what it is. A positive is that he has shown a willingness to switch things up, even if it takes quite a bit longer than we would like.

I think the idea of Bennett and Hornqvist on the same line is a good one, they bring elements that compliment each others' games. However, I really dislike Bennett on the left side. Some in the PGT were unhappy with Bennett's game last night and felt that his boardwork and effort was lacking compared to other nights, I don't think it was a coincidence considering which wing he was playing. He's simply not as strong there. I also have been unimpressed with the Geno-Hornqvist combination every time it's been tried. Even though Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist has a higher talent level than Comeau-Malkin-Bennett, I actually think the latter would work better than the former. We'll see I guess.

Now if the rumors about trading Kunitz are accurate, (it sounds too good to be true to me, so I'm not really buying it) that means that KCP is not the long-term plan. My hope is that whether it is the plan or not, MJ will move Kunitz again if he continues playing as awful as he has been.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think he wants to try Hornqvist and Malkin together again, and he likely won't deviate from that plan until he has a chance to thoroughly examine it. That's not what I would do, but it is what it is. A positive is that he has shown a willingness to switch things up, even if it takes quite a bit longer than we would like.

I think the idea of Bennett and Hornqvist on the same line is a good one, they bring elements that compliment each others' games. However, I really dislike Bennett on the left side. Some in the PGT were unhappy with Bennett's game last night and felt that his boardwork and effort was lacking compared to other nights, I don't think it was a coincidence considering which wing he was playing. He's simply not as strong there. I also have been unimpressed with the Geno-Hornqvist combination every time it's been tried. Even though Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist has a higher talent level than Comeau-Malkin-Bennett, I actually think the latter would work better than the former. We'll see I guess.

Now if the rumors about trading Kunitz are accurate, (it sounds too good to be true to me, so I'm not really buying it) that means that KCP is not the long-term plan. My hope is that whether it is the plan or not, MJ will move Kunitz again if he continues playing as awful as he has been.
Yeah, not really sure if the coaching staff just has blinders on or what, but everyone on this board can't be stupid, and the consensus is that Kunitz has definitely had a terrible season.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
if malkin is missing more than one more game (and he probably is) you have to give pch a look at some point. it would be stupid not to. i get wanting to see hornqvist with malkin but if malkin isn't playing for a bit then why wait to experiment with what's left?

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
if malkin is missing more than one more game (and he probably is) you have to give pch a look at some point. it would be stupid not to. i get wanting to see hornqvist with malkin but if malkin isn't playing for a bit then why wait to experiment with what's left?

We'll see it at some point and I really hope that they look amazing and force Johnston not to split them up...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, not really sure if the coaching staff just has blinders on or what, but everyone on this board can't be stupid, and the consensus is that Kunitz has definitely had a terrible season.

They demoted him twice (first to the second line and then to the third), they could do it again. There's 3 options for why Kunitz is there right now 1.) With all of the injuries we've had, they thought he was the best option 2.) Trying to boost trade value by putting him in position to rack up more points 3.) They actually believe he's a good fit for the line.

Fingers crossed it's not #3

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I'd think he'd run PCH, considering Kuni played his best hockey this year with Sutter and Bennett

Fordy

May 28, 2008
so um are we going to get some ******** as pp lines? predictions?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Arcobello had his best game as a pen yesterday imo. As someone pointed out - Ebbett is what he is, might as well get Arcobello a few more looks before deciding if we wanna keep him for depth or just waive him again.

Somehow i feel that we might come out flat in this one after putting together a collective effort yesterday with a depleted lineup :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad