Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 1/28/15, 8:00 pm EST, NBCSN

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm in the more Latta camp too.

Bura reminds me of a weaker MoJo, if that is possible. 1 is enough.

Mojo has gotten stronger for this year. Bura will do the same in the coming seasons.

Bura is more of a natural shooter IMO and he is a more aggressive passer.

Vladiator16*

What a game!!! It was almost worth it to lose 4 in a row to watch them beat the **** out of Pittsburgh like that.:laugh: Man, these guys can play when they really wanna to. Perfectly played 2 games vs Pens.
I hope we resign 52, i think it would be the most disappointing thing for me personally, i just cant see him in any other uniform. With all his worts and all the guy is so fun to watch, and the way he dishes them out to OV... He needs to stay.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Man, Pens fans cant handle the fact their team is dirty.

What did they do that was dirty??

If anything the Pens are SOFT this year compared to others. JR has always seemed to gravitate towards softer teams and his influence seems to be immediately felt.

Pens were far more fearsome with Bylsma, Cooke, Kennedy, Ruutu, Orpik etc

Therrien had them pretty soft. Bylsma came in and laid the golden egg and their fans and Lemieux needed to kill that goose.

JR seems to realize it somewhat at least. That was the impetus behind the Goc for Lapierre trade I'm certain.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
What did they do that was dirty??

If anything the Pens are SOFT this year compared to others. JR has always seemed to gravitate towards softer teams and his influence seems to be immediately felt.

Pens were far more fearsome with Bylsma, Cooke, Kennedy, Ruutu, Orpik etc

Therrien had them pretty soft. Bylsma came in and laid the golden egg and their fans and Lemieux needed to kill that goose.

JR seems to realize it somewhat at least. That was the impetus behind the Goc for Lapierre trade I'm certain.

Crosby elbowing Orpik in the chest after the whistle, Sill punching Ovechkin in the face while Ovechkin is tied up. Perron punching Brower while he is down on the ice. Downie doing his usually BS.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Great game to go to live; sat with the lady next to a pair of cool dudes in 413. VC blew up on OV's second slot rocket. Latta had a great fight too. During the third intermission they had a fan guess who was the best dancer on the Caps and then they played video snippets of Caps players talking about who was the best. Ward's description of Chimera dancing was hilarious: "Dude is like a 34 year old white guy at a rave!"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Helluva game. Anyone complaining... maybe take the day off.

Erhoff getting injured was rather bizarre. Either he was trying to get everyone to go after Ovi or injured himself.

Ovi and Nick look like they are on a mission. I cannot recall both playing this aggressively in regular season games.... maybe ever. One thing I love about our PP, we are finishing checks proper on the punk PKer making the clear. Just destroying them. I am seeing MJ and Nick hitting in the defensive zone.

The breakout on the Green goal was sneaky, getting Green up to forward like that. If teams want to pound him, have fun chasing him up ice.

We are becoming one of those teams difficult to play against. Way to go Trotz. :clap:

OVs Gold Chain*

If the Caps played every team that way, physical at every opportunity, teams would really start hating having to play against us.

The Caps beat writing contingent/blog regulars can provide some great content, but last night was a great example of how they don't really understand the game beyond looking at advanced metrics and declaring one player better than another. Before the game every one of them (Japers/RMNB/etc etc etc) were blasting the decision to put Beagle on line 1. I get that his stats on line 1 haven't always been ideal, but sometimes a coach just has a feel for when something might help or make sense for a particular opponent. Trotz even said after the game he thought Ovie/Backstrom were playing "too loose" and Beagle was the "perfect fix for that." He plays a hard-working, honest game and it gives skill players a refresher on the basics of puck possession and wearing a team down. I seriously doubt Trotz has long term plans for Beagle on line 1, especially with Beagle being dominant at face-offs and eating PK minutes.

Also funny to see writers like Katie Brown who mock fighting all the time with the shoe in their mouth. Fights like the ones we saw last night, created via the intensity of the game and not just two goons pre-planned, definitely have an impact in the tone of the game. Trotz talked a bit about it on Epix after Willy & Latta fought in CBJ.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Pittsburgh always makes the trades,always gets the free agent at a discount,always get more power plays....and more.

Well today gentleman the fans in Pittsburgh are angry with the coach and organization. We beat them this time in getting Trotz. Last night the Caps showed the discipline and structure,were more physical and tougher to play against. A complete 180 of games against them from just last season when they had all the above listed things and Caps not so much.

Also the Pens are 11-1 when Crosby and Malkin don't play this year.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't know why they wouldn't just send Bura to Hershey to get him more used to bigger minutes and have Volpatti sitting in the press box rather than him.

It doesn't even necessarily mean permanent demotion, injuries are going to happen and having Bura in the Hershey getting more used to bigger roles would be only good thing. When forward goes down he is pretty much the perfect call-up because he has played in every situation already this season. Pre-season he was in the 3rd line, then had some time as the 2C, some time in the 4th line and while as the 1RW too. Then count in the fact that he is natural LW and you have guy that is (to some degree) used to play in every forward position and has played some time in every line too.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Erhoff getting injured was rather bizarre. Either he was trying to get everyone to go after Ovi or injured himself.

alex-ovechkin-flexes-hardest-shot.jpg

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
They remind me a lot of Montreal a couple years ago when they got embarassed by Ottawa. I sincerely hope Pittsburgh gets the same kind of draw in the playoffs.

They're something like 2-6-2 against the Caps, Isles, and Rangers so far this season, so it seems like their chances of that kind of draw are pretty good. I'd really like to be the ones to meet them in the first round though.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Backstrom could use some time in Hershey, get his head on straight.
Game is just moving to fast for him.

Well you did a fine job missing my point.

It was that i'm pretty glad to have 2 of the 3 guys who play among the hardest minutes in the league 5-on-5 and are both + players (Fehr +12, Ward +2). Orpik (+3) and Carlson (+14) is very good for their minutes aswell.

Even if Ward is slowing down abit, i would still try to sign him if he'd take reasonable salary and possibly shorter term (1 or 2 years?).

OVs Gold Chain*

Well you did a fine job missing my point.

It was that i'm pretty glad to have 2 of the 3 guys who play among the hardest minutes in the league 5-on-5 and are both + players (Fehr +12, Ward +2). Orpik (+3) and Carlson (+14) is very good for their minutes aswell.

Even if Ward is slowing down abit, i would still try to sign him if he'd take reasonable salary and possibly shorter term (1 or 2 years?).

It was just a joke. Forgot you have to include :sarcasm: on any post on HFBoards for people not take every word you say seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad