Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 1/28/15, 8:00 pm EST, NBCSN

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've never really understood how being sent down to the AHL is supposed to boost someone's confidence.

Success generally breeds confidence, but it depends on the individual. If a guy needs validation that has skills, or he's in a funk, it might help to knock over some easier targets. If a guy already knows he's good and knows the easier task isn't really a challenge anyway, it can backfire by delaying necessary exposure to higher levels of competition that simply require adjustment.

Sending guys to minors in any sport isn't like sending clothes to the cleaners or a car to the shop.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I love how Burakovsky is playing. He gains little advantages and creates offensive chances almost every shift. He makes brilliant little plays all the time. He still has a lot to learn (of course) but he's making the team better every game right now. If I thought his development was getting stifled I'd send him down but I don't see that at all. It's not like he is shrinking from the play. He is adding to what Ovie and Backstrom are doing. He creates open ice for everyone he plays with.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I love how Burakovsky is playing. He gains little advantages and creates offensive chances almost every shift. He makes brilliant little plays all the time. He still has a lot to learn (of course) but he's making the team better every game right now. If I thought his development was getting stifled I'd send him down but I don't see that at all. It's not like he is shrinking from the play. He is adding to what Ovie and Backstrom are doing. He creates open ice for everyone he plays with.

I agree with all of this. But I think Trotz is concerned with the fact that he's not the least bit hard on the puck, and the 1st line really needs that capability. Nor should he be expected to be, given his age, experience and size - and the fact that being hard on the puck in the NHL is a very difficult thing to do.

You can develop some of that in the AHL - in part because that league is full of guys for whom being hard on the puck may be their top skill asset. But you can also get the stuffing beaten out of yourself down there if you're a skill guy trying to develop a grittier game. It's a bit of a dilemma.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I agree with all of this. But I think Trotz is concerned with the fact that he's not the least bit hard on the puck, and the 1st line really needs that capability. Nor should he be expected to be, given his age, experience and size - and the fact that being hard on the puck in the NHL is a very difficult thing to do.

You can develop some of that in the AHL - in part because that league is full of guys for whom being hard on the puck may be their top skill asset. But you can also get the stuffing beaten out of yourself down there if you're a skill guy trying to develop a grittier game. It's a bit of a dilemma.

I totally agree with you. Mac will need to add an excellent player at 1RW to top what Burakovsky brings right now. It's possible, of course, but at what cost? If that deal is out there and it doesn't hurt the team long-term that's great. My preference is to build the top 3 lines for the long-term but that's near impossible with the salary cap. I'm tired of the deadline plug-ins.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
What an enjoyable game that was to watch! They always bring it when they play the Pens. I want to see that same fire and grit against the Habs on Saturday.

I'm really freaking pleased we're not getting shut out when we do lose.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What if it back fires, what if he's sent down and he doesn't "dominate"?

Why does he have to dominate? Forsberg didn't dominate in the AHL last season. Why can't he just learn how to be a better all around hockey player?

It baffles me how so many feel the Caps top prospects are just too good for the AHL, especially when they have proven next to nothing at that level and are very far from proven at the NHL level IMO.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What if it back fires, what if he's sent down and he doesn't "dominate"?
Doesn't that make it worse?

I get the theory behind it.

All the more reason. That would seem to prove 100% that he hasn't graduated beyond the A. If he can't consistently be a top player at that level, why would we think he can be a top player at the NHL level?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I wouldn't assume that Bura, Wilson or anyone else would dominate the AHL. That's a very different league, and I think it was Bura who said it was a very different game, and in some ways is more difficult to play.

Send him down for ice time, but don't assume he's going to dominate or even put up numbers.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
All the more reason. That would seem to prove 100% that he hasn't graduated beyond the A. If he can't consistently be a top player at that level, why would we think he can be a top player at the NHL level?

True, but I meant more on the confidence factor.. You're disappointed youre sent down then you aren't producing like a NHLer you could just degrade your confidence more. That's all I'm saying. My take? Send him down im all for it. I was literally just asking what if it does the opposite for his confidence.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wouldn't assume that Bura, Wilson or anyone else would dominate the AHL. That's a very different league, and I think it was Bura who said it was a very different game, and in some ways is more difficult to play.

Send him down for ice time, but don't assume he's going to dominate or even put up numbers.

Agree.

I remember a DMan got recalled, maybe Sloan, and he spoke of how much easier it was in the NHL. He was surrounded by superior talent, so immediately they carry him so to speak. It's easy playing with Tom Poti. Yeah I bet, compared to on the farm team.

At the time, he also said that the AHL games were much more physical. I didnt watch enough AHL to know but I know they would be hard pressed to be softer than most NHL games I saw in that era, which was Ovi hitting and no one else.

What happens if a scorer doesn't score on a demotion? Call him up? A fighter gets concussed.... whoops. A DDman that plays a simple game picks up a few minuses then what. It's not a cake walk down to the AHL.

It can be as mentally challenging as anything. Assuming confidence will be gained.... I like the saying: assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad