GDT: pens cane

Are these GDT polls the reason for our current W streak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Pens fans in the PNC are second only to B's fans

Nah. I say that Pittsburgh is a distant third when it comes to annoying. To me, Boston fans are #1 and Rangers fans are a close #2. The days that Philadelphia and Buffalo are both relevant again are the days that they will vault back into the top 5.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
3 things continue to amaze me about this team (I just finished watching late when I got home)
1) How truly awful our PP is (especially 5 on 3)
2) Our complete inability to hit an empty net multiple times
3) Why certain teams get SO much leeway on penalties? Like I lost count of the amount of blatant interference the Pens were getting away with keeping us from getting the puck or getting it back (Malkin on Jarvis being one of the worst). What have they done to earn so much leeway, or have we just not figured out how to game the system properly?

Overall though, Pens have been pretty hot and we got 3 hard-fought goals against them. Necas continues to impress this season and has been our best player IMO most games this year. Kooch also still pulls out some amazing saves, but you can see where he's potentially gonna get burned still...I think he's got what it takes to make it in the NHL, but still not sold on him being the defacto starter yet, but roll him while he's hot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Win or lose, I many times enjoy reading the other team's GDT/PGTs for a few reasons, none of which is enjoying their reactions to a loss. Mainly to see how they view our team, the game, the reffing etc.. compared to our own board's views.

One thing that stands out is that every fan base has basically the same complaints about their coaching staff when they lose and the same ones we see on this board. Here's are a couple of examples from the Pens board that are so similar to what we post many times on this board (as evidence with the edits I made). To be clear, I'm not mocking the Pens posters or our own posters, just pointing out that every fan base says the same things about their coaching after losses or during rough stretches.

We all know that Sully RBA is reluctant to change, especially even more during a winning streak.

Heinen Martinook has proven that he's nothing more than a bottom 6. For the life of me, I fail to realize why Heinen Martinook is Sully's RBA's first choice to go top 6 when somebody gets injured. He hasn't and isn't living up to the unwarranted promotion.

Other moves should happen, but won't, so no sense in discussing them at this point.

I just don't get what he's doing with this roster, he has players that are good at a lot of things but he will use the worst grinders for those things

It's easy for blokes to quickly forget the issues because of a good run lately, but the ugliness of this coaching staff and their biases and usage issues is always looming and some great performances allow so many here to forget them rather quickly.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
^^^^^
Plus, Canes play a boring style and are like the Islanders. I see that frequently too.
Yes, and they aren't wrong for the most part. Get the puck deep, aggressively forecheck, tight gaps in the neutral zone, etc.. makes it hard for other teams to generate offense which can make the game more boring to watch at times for those teams. Winning is all that matters though.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Love stepan
Loved his funny, little dig at the rookie, Drury. It's clear they like the guy.
3) Why certain teams get SO much leeway on penalties? Like I lost count of the amount of blatant interference the Pens were getting away with keeping us from getting the puck or getting it back (Malkin on Jarvis being one of the worst). What have they done to earn so much leeway, or have we just not figured out how to game the system properly?
Both Pittsburgh and Tampa purposely run clear "pick plays" and rarely get called for it. They do it so much that I think the refs subconsciously make allowances for it....plus they've been good for so long and "good teams" get the calls.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Loved his funny, little dig at the rookie, Drury. It's clear they like the guy.

Both Pittsburgh and Tampa purposely run clear "pick plays" and rarely get called for it. They do it so much that I think the refs subconsciously make allowances for it....plus they've been good for so long and "good teams" get the calls.

a lot of teams claim that with the tight gaps our D play, the Canes get away with a lot of interference. I'm not sure we get away with it more than others or if our defensemen are good enough at preventing entry into the zone that teams think we get away with it more.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Finally got to see extended highlights of the game, enough to give me an overall idea of last night's effort. Proud of this crew coming back strong in the 3rd on a back-to-back situation. That is the championship pedigree we're looking for.... where it's not always pretty, but they dig deep and kick into that extra gear to get the W.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
One of the more interesting complaints that I would read in other teams threads is that we're a team of divers. I don't quite understand that line of thinking when we get called for far more penalties than we get. But it is a common occurrence, especially from Florida fans.

For the Florida fan base, at least, it came from back in the...2007-2008 season, I think? This was back when we were in the same division and divisional opponents played 8 times a year.

In 5 of the first 6 games, Florida had a multi goal lead against the Canes, and blew it. Over and over again. And many of those comeback efforts came from PPGs from the Canes.

Before game 7 of 8, Florida papers basically made "Canes are divers" their front page, and I think we were called for diving twice that game, including a ridiculous call where Williams was literally tackled to the ice.

And Game 8, it was a "win and you're in" situation for Carolina, and Florida once again had a multi goal lead. But Carolina wasn't able to come back that game.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
a lot of teams claim that with the tight gaps our D play, the Canes get away with a lot of interference. I'm not sure we get away with it more than others or if our defensemen are good enough at preventing entry into the zone that teams think we get away with it more.

Caps too, at least a couple years back when they were good and on tv all the time. Every time the D would start from behind the net, a trailing F would swoop back and time his turn to "accidentally" disrupt the forechecker for 5 or so strides. Never got called.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Caps too, at least a couple years back when they were good and on tv all the time. Every time the D would start from behind the net, a trailing F would swoop back and time his turn to "accidentally" disrupt the forechecker for 5 or so strides. Never got called.
Yea and we watch teams create set pick plays on the regular from faceoffs that aren’t called. Canes aren’t any more guilty than other teams.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Oh, I agree that we aren't more guilty. I don't think we are less guilty on average either.
Yeah, I don't know about what the actual numbers show. I do know from what little actual offensive hockey schemes I know, the teams I mentioned run clear pick plays. My son and I were watching for it on Sunday and it was clear as day. I'd almost say that Malkin's sole purpose these days is to set picks. Now maybe that's a function of his slowness. However, time and again, I'd see him or one of his teammates start in the middle and either move left or right following a short pass and impede the defender covering the pass recipient. I'm sure lots of teams do this to a certain extent. It's just that I notice it a lot with Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Boston.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Great win against a good team. Also, I didn't get frostbite or hit by a car on the walk back, both of which seemed like very real possibilities
What I’ve taken to doing now is ubering in- then walking to the Backyard Bistro to call an uber out, because the parking and traffic situation is so out of control it’s unreal. I want to speak to the manager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad