Post-Game Talk: Pens at the halfway point

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What does he say? Can't view that video at work :laugh:

just read a gordie post...

"Scuds is a great mentor for a young guy, great positioning, great reads, great defensive defensemen."

"Dessy, being on his off-side, we just want to give him that stability, let him know he has that guy back there, with great reads and positioning"

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

"Scuds is a great mentor for a young guy, great positioning, great reads, great defensive defensemen."

"Dessy, being on his off-side, we just want to give him that stability, let him know he has that guy back there, with great reads and positioning"

:shakehead good lord

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem? Basically putting him with Scuds so that Despres can be Despres and not have to worry about making mistakes (knowing Scuds will always be in a defensive first position) that comes with his aggressive style.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Man, that kinda thinking is such a trap. He plays great: because of Scuderi. He plays dumb: luckily Suceri is there. He plays great again: phew, Scuderi set him right again.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I get it in theory, put a young defenseman with an experienced one who will teach and cover. But the reality is that Scuderi puts an immense amount of pressure on his partner to do pretty much all of the puck moving. **** Scuderi and **** the delusions about him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup. He did say "Dessy" has done a good job on his offside. But yeah the rest was about how Scuds helps Despres. Which, in theory all makes sense. Except that Scuderi is a worse hockey player now.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem? Basically putting him with Scuds so that Despres can be Despres and not have to worry about making mistakes (knowing Scuds will always be in a defensive first position) that comes with his aggressive style.

I agree. I'd pack Scuds bags and drive him to the airport myself to get out from that contract since we have so many younger, cheaper D that he's blocking. That said, I don't take much issue with Johnston's comments about him. Scuds plays a simple game. He's almost always where he's supposed to be on the ice. That makes him easy to read and play with. Scuds can't skate or move the puck at all and it puts all of that on Despres but Despres has the skill set to handle that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

in theory, yes, but when you watch Despres with Scuderi and then Despres with any other DMan, the exact opposite happens. Being with Scuderi actually forces Despres to stay back more. Despres gets pinned in his own end more with Scuderi than any other dman, as well (small sample size the other way, of course)

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yup. He did say "Dessy" has done a good job on his offside. But yeah the rest was about how Scuds helps Despres. Which, in theory all makes sense. Except that Scuderi is a worse hockey player now.

I don't think it insinuates that Scuds isn't worse. I think it insinuates that hes safe a predictable. Which allows Despres to play without fear of making a mistake.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree. I'd pack Scuds bags and drive him to the airport myself to get out from that contract since we have so many younger, cheaper D that he's blocking. That said, I don't take much issue with Johnston's comments about him. Scuds plays a simple game. He's almost always where he's supposed to be on the ice. That makes him easy to read and play with. Scuds can't skate or move the puck at all and it puts all of that on Despres but Despres has the skill set to handle that.

I don't have a problem with what he said about Scuds (even if I think it's exaggerated a lot). I have a problem with what he didn't say about Despres. The question wasn't "How does Scuds help Despres", it was "what do you like about that pair that you kept them together the whole season".

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think it insinuates that Scuds isn't worse. I think it insinuates that hes safe a predictable. Which allows Despres to play without fear of making a mistake.

But nobody asked him to go through a laundry list of all the great things about Scuds' and not say anything about Despres. I'm likely reading too much into it, but I am upset MJ not saying anything about how Despres compliments Scuds or the positive attributes of him as a player on that pairing.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
in theory, yes, but when you watch Despres with Scuderi and then Despres with any other DMan, the exact opposite happens. Being with Scuderi actually forces Despres to stay back more. Despres gets pinned in his own end more with Scuderi than any other dman, as well (small sample size the other way, of course)

It very well might, but in theory its sound. Despres knowing that someone will always be abck should allow him confidence to pinch, join the rush, make a risky pass or throw a big hit knowing that his defensive partner will at least be in the correct position. The last thing I think anyone wants is Despres hesitating because he cant trust his partner to be where he's supposed to be.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It very well might, but in theory its sound. Despres knowing that someone will always be abck should allow him confidence to pinch, join the rush, make a risky pass or throw a big hit knowing that his defensive partner will at least be in the correct position. The last thing I think anyone wants is Despres hesitating because he cant trust his partner to be where he's supposed to be.

But in reality - i mean, I'm pretty much a Despres stalker at this point - he's hesitating more WITH Scuderi. His play is more tentative, his advanced stats are down, etc...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

My issue is that Despres seems to have zero upward mobility in this lineup, for whatever reason. There have already been multiple instances of other guys (even those of much more limited experience) playing "over" him.

Speaking for myself, the issue I have with that pairing in particular is that I just don't think it's very good. Scuderi isn't as bad as people make him... but I really don't think he's doing nearly as much for Despres as Despres is doing for him. You'll notice the rare times they move Scuderi off of Despres paring... Scuderi looks much like he did last year with the extra ice/new partner/responsibilities. Which is to say... bad.

All that said... I don't know how much of this is just "coach speak." Coaches of all stripe love their vets. And this entire organization is quite obviously very, very fond of Scuderi. Not that that doesn't create it's own set of problems.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
But nobody asked him to go through a laundry list of all the great things about Scuds' and not say anything about Despres. I'm likely reading too much into it, but I am upset MJ not saying anything about how Despres compliments Scuds or the positive attributes of him as a player on that pairing.

Sounds to me that he's trying to justify playing Scuds not the other way around.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
But in reality - i mean, I'm pretty much a Despres stalker at this point - he's hesitating more WITH Scuderi. His play is more tentative, his advanced stats are down, etc...

And it was the same when he played with Doughty in LA.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Its definitely possible, his adv. stats are definitely down and I have no trouble believing its completely because of Scuds. As far as hesitation im not sure and it would be hard to show either way. All I know is that I love how he's been playing this year and that's mostly been with Scuds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad