Post-Game Talk: Pens Advance! Kunitz Was There!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
I need don't want but need another Matt Cullen players tribune article for this years final

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Looking at some of the stats for this round.

Top 4 scorers were Sid with 3g 3a, Phil and Geno 2g 4a each, and Kunitz 2g 2a.

Cullen and Bones were good in the circle. 57.6% and 52.2% respectively. Crosby took 180 faceoffs, twice as many as anyone else, and won 48.9%. Geno was 46.9%.

Jake had the worst +/- at a -6. Next worst was Sid with -3. Cole was best with +4, Rowney +3, Kessel and Kunitz +2.

Hags, Jake, Sheary, and Bones were all held without a goal.

On the other side of that, we had goals from 11 different players, including 5 goals from 4 different defensemen. 18 different players with points, 15 with 2+ points.

Hags was pointless in 6 games played. Others without points Ruh in 4gp, Horny in 1gp, Archie 3gp.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
After watching that series there's no doubt that Karlsson is the 2nd best player on the planet right now.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
After watching that series there's no doubt that Karlsson is the 2nd best player on the planet right now.

I agree with this 100%. This whole playoff he was absolutely phenomenal and playing on injured feet. He's also a class act. Watch him go through the handshake line.

I have the utmost respect for the guy and the player he is. All talk of him being overrated should cease for the rest of his career. Guy is a gamer

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The only thing that pisses me off more than not receiving password reset emails after multiple attempts and not being able to login here for weeks, is the NHL still allowing games in the Conference Finals to only be shown on NBCSN AND not allow annual subscribers to watch them either. God Damnit Uncle Gary, get yer **** together next year!

Missed the madness in here (and that COLEPENS guy failed to answer an email I sent him weeks back — damnit Colepens! so much for admin login help!) ;)

Anyway... the boys are back in the Final. Pretty good feeling. I was a little worried at points in the last two series (to the extent I could watch them, otherwise I had to lurk in here not being able to post). Seems the streams are teh TABOO these days. :)

In the end all that matters is Kunitz being there. 2G 1A in clinching Game 7 effort. Bananas. Who is this guy and what has he done with our Kunitz?

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The reason the Sens were "standing around" on the Kunitz goal is because Crosby created a scoring chance out of a mundane play. That's what makes Sid better than anyone else he recognizes opportunity and takes advantage.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I love what he said about the D. That when they make mistakes, they are "mistakes of enthusiasm." "We're tryers"

Such a difference from the previous mentality.

Yeah I agree he brings something very different to this team and let's not forget JR brought some different things too. Succeeded where Shero failed, acquisision-wise.

So many charts. Ugggh.

I should have just went to bed early and watched the game in chart form :nod:

:laugh:

But but they almost make you feel smarter just by looking at them. Actually some of the visual representations are pretty cool but I've never been a big analytics nerd. Not that they're bad just don't get into it much.

I agree with this 100%. This whole playoff he was absolutely phenomenal and playing on injured feet. He's also a class act. Watch him go through the handshake line.

I have the utmost respect for the guy and the player he is. All talk of him being overrated should cease for the rest of his career. Guy is a gamer

Agree on that as well. Karlsson impressed the hell out of me this playoff.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Don't listen to them, Jaded, I love those charts. :laugh:

Although if you're posting a lot at once, there is a way to collapse some of them.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Kunitz got the warrior helmet for the only time this year. Great game. It would be nice if he could go out on top. We're milking the last ounce of hockey out of him. I posted in the Kunitz appreciation thread but it got deleted and locked. :laugh:

I'm not afraid to show appreciation for a guy who was downright bad for much of the year. He's earned at least that for keeping our season alive.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah I agree he brings something very different to this team and let's not forget JR brought some different things too. Succeeded where Shero failed, acquisision-wise.

:laugh:

But but they almost make you feel smarter just by looking at them. Actually some of the visual representations are pretty cool but I've never been a big analytics nerd. Not that they're bad just don't get into it much.

Agree on that as well. Karlsson impressed the hell out of me this playoff.

Really? I thought until the last game the pens were exploiting him a ton just not cashing in on it... i mean he was really injured so it shouldnt count but he was maybe their third best player overall behind Anderson and Ryan... without either of them this series is over quick...

Karlsson didnt even take the brunt of the d on his pairing methot was a mauling beast out there... if maatta had given up the breakaways Karlsson had wed be flipping out on him...

he had so manygreat plays but so many boneheaded letang like ones too..

. i think he is probably one of the best defenseman of this era for sure, maybe the best, but that injured version didn't drive offense like he can and just cause Anderson stoned us doesn't mean his d was great this series.. id say he is clearly behind malkin and Crosby and mcdavid and probably ahead of the rest of the superstars on that hof level, but he is getting a bit of a bump in cred from playing hurt while his team rode a system deep... best defenseman, fine.. best player... no.. not close

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Looking at some of the stats for this round.

Top 4 scorers were Sid with 3g 3a, Phil and Geno 2g 4a each, and Kunitz 2g 2a.

Cullen and Bones were good in the circle. 57.6% and 52.2% respectively. Crosby took 180 faceoffs, twice as many as anyone else, and won 48.9%. Geno was 46.9%.

Jake had the worst +/- at a -6. Next worst was Sid with -3. Cole was best with +4, Rowney +3, Kessel and Kunitz +2.

Hags, Jake, Sheary, and Bones were all held without a goal.

On the other side of that, we had goals from 11 different players, including 5 goals from 4 different defensemen. 18 different players with points, 15 with 2+ points.

Hags was pointless in 6 games played. Others without points Ruh in 4gp, Horny in 1gp, Archie 3gp.

Definitely not Guentzel's best series. Mix of snakebitten and not being big enough to battle through some of the interference and other OTT attempts at slowing guys up. I think he will bounce back against Nashville though.

I also would have thought Geno's faceoff numbers were worse, but I think the team as a whole improved in the last 2-3 games in that facet.

Hags also seems to be trending upwards, finally getting close to 100% perhaps?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
UFA in 2 years, maybe he's not happy with the direction of that team and Crosby was talking to him in the handshake line about a spot always being open for him on this team.:laugh:

Some other team(if not the sens) would give him 12 mil just to get him.

Doubt he would come here for like 8.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Definitely not Guentzel's best series. Mix of snakebitten and not being big enough to battle through some of the interference and other OTT attempts at slowing guys up. I think he will bounce back against Nashville though.

I also would have thought Geno's faceoff numbers were worse, but I think the team as a whole improved in the last 2-3 games in that facet.

Hags also seems to be trending upwards, finally getting close to 100% perhaps?

Guentzel was fighting through similar interference and bigger blueliners agt Col and Was and setting records.

I think he's just worn down. He's never played this many games in his career and hopefully these few days off and all the two day breaks during the cup help him out.

Sometimes we forget these guys are human.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guentzel was fighting through similar interference and bigger blueliners agt Col and Was and setting records.

I think he's just worn down. He's never played this many games in his career and hopefully these few days off and all the two day breaks during the cup help him out.

Sometimes we forget these guys are human.

And the crazy part is Guentzel's still leading the playoffs in goal scoring, even in spite of his slump against Ottawa.

Then again I'm not sure whether that's praise for Guentzel or condemnation of what the NHL has turned into that a guy can go an entire round without a goal and still be tops in an offensive category (ie. "let them play" officiating is sucking the offense out of the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad