Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Daniel Winnik for Sill, 2016 2nd, 2015 4th (Leafs retain $650k salary)

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Would have rather gotten Tlusty.

I don't have a problem trading away picks, but we better make good use of the few picks we have left.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Who cares about draft picks? We want to win now.

I don't know I guess everyone has their school of thought. I could give a **** about our second round pick a year and a half from now, and neither should anyone else you ask me. Our bottom 6 sucks and we upgraded it for 'stuff'. I see nothing wrong with it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
2016 2nd and 2015 4th, plus Sill.

Rutherford will likely make a few moves at the draft to reacquire draft picks. Just watch.

Hmm. Maybe. Seems to me Kunitz could restock that cabinet a bit and I can't imagine he's not worth a late first if Winnik's worth a second.

penguins2946*

They ****ing better scratch adams and re-sign Winnik. That's all I'm going to say about this deal

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Full details on trade from Pens release:
The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward Daniel Winnik from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Zach Sill, a 2015 fourth-round draft pick and a 2016 second-round draft pick, it was announced by general manager Jim Rutherford.

Winnik, 29, has seven goals and 25 points in 58 games with Toronto this year. He led the team with a plus-15, which will also place first among Pittsburgh forwards and second overall on the club.

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound Winnik led all Toronto forwards with 50 blocked shots and ranked third with 99 hits this year. His 3:27 average shorthanded minutes per game is the highest total among all NHL forwards.

A native of Toronto, Ontario, Winnik established career highs last season with Anaheim in points (30) and assists (24) in 76 games.

Winnik has played in 548 career NHL games with Arizona, Colorado, San Jose, Anaheim and Toronto, totaling 175 points (56G-119A). He has also suited up for 28 career NHL playoff contests.

Winnik played three years of college hockey at New Hampshire from 2003-06, surpassing the 40-point mark in each of his final two years.

Winnik was originally drafted by the Arizona Coyotes in the ninth round (265th overall) of the 2004 NHL Draft. He will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=755195&navid=DL|PIT|home

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Winnik makes a huge huge huge huge difference in our bottom 6. 6'2 205. Hits, PK's. Works hard. Played in the tough Western Conf and has seen playoff action.

He's a really nice upgrade. Things cost what they cost. It's not my job to juggle salary and prospects and FA signings and the cap, but all I can say is Winnik makes this club a MUCH better team that is harder to play against

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Hmmm, I like Winnik, the 2nd rounder is a bit high for my liking, but whatever. I am surprised that Tlusty did cost less than Winnik. Hopefully he will resign here, I wanted him in the summer as a UFA, he should be a good fit.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Said Ray Shero every year he was here. Trading tons of draft picks away is why we have **** for forward prospects.

I hear you but when you can't draft like, two forwards, in seven years then you have a problem. The other option is for JR to be guarded about trying to win a Cup, so I can live with stuff like this and as someone else said, they might be able to get some picks at the draft.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Now to speculate about getting Lupul later for Kunitz + Dumoulin? :sarcasm:

But really, Kunitz still needs to go and they need to do something about Sutter, and this better ****ing mean Adams is pushed out.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
WTF!!!
This one of the worst trades JR has ever done, how could Botterill & co let it happen?

Easy there, cowboy. If this is the worst trade a GM makes, he's not doing a bad job. We gave them a 4th too much. A 2nd was fair value. And they took Sill.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Winnik makes a huge huge huge huge difference in our bottom 6. 6'2 205. Hits, PK's. Works hard. Played in the tough Western Conf and has seen playoff action.

He's a really nice upgrade. Things cost what they cost. It's not my job to juggle salary and prospects and FA signings and the cap, but all I can say is Winnik makes this club a MUCH better team that is harder to play against

Didn't he only have 3 points in the playoffs?

This is a good defensive pickup that PKs and will throw in a little physicality and offense.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
This is crazy overpayment. Howeevr, I'll reserve my judgement for once the trade deadline is over. Perhaps he will make additional trades to bolster the line-up.

Target was great. Price is crazy bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad