Post-Game Talk: Pens 8, Caps 7 (OT) - Pens Win On the 2 Point Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. I love skill, speed and offense. People generally watch sports to be entertained and watching your favorite players score goals or create goal scoring situations is naturally very entertaining. I'm usually one of the first people to start rolling my eyes when others begin to gush about shot blocks and good gap in a 1-0 snoozefest. But that... that was just sloppy. The vast majority of the goals weren't even really clean. They were pinball, seeing-eye pucks. The game winner was even appropriate since it was just a cluster**** in front that trickled in.

It was entertaining in a chaotic sort of way. But I don't really know that I could call it a good game. In most ways the Penguins played it very, very badly, actually.

I was pretty sure they'd get somewhere around 5-7 goals dropped on them against that team while sporting such a banged up defense. I guess I didn't figure they'd somehow find a way to score eight to compensate. So... I guess that's a plus? Despite such sloppiness and the obvious takeaway that they can't play like that and expect to get too far... it isn't necessarily a bad thing to win against such a great team on such a great run. No matter how they get it done.

And big nights for Crosby and Malkin, statistically, is never a bad thing. Both looked dominant. Particularly Malkin who you could tell was fired up/berserker-mode.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This was obviously a fun game to watch...but it's like an awesome night out with the boys. Loving every minute of it at the time, the next morning...completely different story.

I liked our ability to hit back. We didn't roll over and die when they have every reason and opportunity to do so. Every line (sans the 4th) flexed their muscles.

Murray let in 7 goals. Where's the cup run Murray at? Gotten lit up a couple times recently. Not sure if that's cause for concern or not.

Game was damn near unwatchable as Pierre and the NBC crew kept gushing over Kunitz. Dear lord...what does Kunitz have on people in the league? Seriously. I mean, there are odd fascinations all over, sure, but this is...it's weird. And unsettling.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This was obviously a fun game to watch...but it's like an awesome night out with the boys. Loving every minute of it at the time, the next morning...completely different story.

I liked our ability to hit back. We didn't roll over and die when they have every reason and opportunity to do so. Every line (sans the 4th) flexed their muscles.

Murray let in 7 goals. Where's the cup run Murray at? Gotten lit up a couple times recently. Not sure if that's cause for concern or not.

Game was damn near unwatchable as Pierre and the NBC crew kept gushing over Kunitz. Dear lord...what does Kunitz have on people in the league? Seriously. I mean, there are odd fascinations all over, sure, but this is...it's weird. And unsettling.

we should be thrilled. The NHL community is by and large stupid, and having pierre gushing about Kunitz, believe or not, actually raises his value, I say bring it on, it only takes one loser GM to fall for that.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
You just knew these teams were going to go all out going into this one. Pens wanted to show they could beat the Caps. Caps wanted to prove their dominance and keep their winning streak going.

Another classic.

I know we let in 7 goals but I thought Olli looked really good which is nice.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
You just knew these teams were going to go all out going into this one. Pens wanted to show they could beat the Caps. Caps wanted to prove their dominance and keep their winning streak going.

Another classic.

Well aside from his terrible two penalties. That's more frustratingly bad than worryingly bad.

What if our defense didn't suck and it was really just the goalies trying the new pants these past 4 games?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Mcdavid takes the lead back 51-50. Gonna be a battle . 4 man race.

He also has a 3 game lead over the Pens. Hopefully this game wakes up Crosby and he starts getting more huge point games. His first 4 point game of the season, let's go for 5, then 6. If anyone is due it's him for a 5/6 point game. It's good Caps didn't win though, not only would we have given Ovy his 1000th point last time but this time we gave Caps a 10 game win streak. No thanks!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ovechkin was on the ice for six of our eight goals scored.

Anyone one surprised at that stat?

bf095bc0-a621-11e3-a531-138b3ea5b14a_fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Did crosby touch the puck on the OT winner?

Officially yes.

But I don't see where. He seems to be fighting for the rebound, but I don't see him touch it.

Sheary clearly gets the last Penguin touch though when he went all Honey Badger mode.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Crosby had a goal and three assists and ended up +3

Malkin with 3 goals and ended up only +1.

When people ask to differentiate between the two, while both are among the best in the game, this stat is a microcosm of what I see the difference between the two. And I say that recognizing that +/- is one of the most reviled stats in sports, but still it provided a good entrance into the thoughts that I have on the two. Crosby just is more disciplined. Malkin you get your highs and lows, like the penalty he took early on. The difference is not great between them, but there is a gap.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
+++ The Game was awesome.
++ Malkin, Crosby.
+ Schultz.
Even: Can't recall Hagelin doing anything for either team.
- Murray, Maata, Warsofsky, alot of guys.

+ The pens have scored 25 goals combined the last 4 times I've done the GDT.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Officially yes.

But I don't see where. He seems to be fighting for the rebound, but I don't see him touch it.

Sheary clearly gets the last Penguin touch though when he went all Honey Badger mode.

I think he touched it a little bit just before Sheary got his final whack on it that led to the goal. It's a chincy little assist for sure but I'll take it :laugh:

I hope Sid gets the goalscoring going again. I really want to see him hit 60 goals. That would be so incredible.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
we should be thrilled. The NHL community is by and large stupid, and having pierre gushing about Kunitz, believe or not, actually raises his value, I say bring it on, it only takes one loser GM to fall for that.

Unless it's our GM...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Another classic.

I missed the first half of the game, but Olli was bad in the 3rd period. I'm assuming he had a strong first half of the game?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Me too :yo:

Thing is, the Habs don't have the offense the Caps have and I doubt they score 7 on us, even if we stink that bad again.

So many crazy bounces for goals last night, those 2 Caps goals in the 3rd were so lucky with the puck going off Daley both times

Hopefully we don't play another pathetic game like we did here in October!

Who else is going to the game tomorrow?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I missed the first half of the game, but Olli was bad in the 3rd period. I'm assuming he had a strong first half of the game?

I honestly wouldn't say that any of the dmen had a good or strong game so to speak. The only one that I would give props to was Schultz for his contributions.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Crosby had a goal and three assists and ended up +3

Malkin with 3 goals and ended up only +1.

When people ask to differentiate between the two, while both are among the best in the game, this stat is a microcosm of what I see the difference between the two. And I say that recognizing that +/- is one of the most reviled stats in sports, but still it provided a good entrance into the thoughts that I have on the two. Crosby just is more disciplined. Malkin you get your highs and lows, like the penalty he took early on. The difference is not great between them, but there is a gap.

This season:

Geno 34 25
Sid 30 21

Sid is better all around player, I think we all established that here but this constant narrative of Geno's LOWS is driving me nuts. highs and Lows as if he was some gibroni like a bunch of guys in league they had occasionally good games and they drop off. Geno has been consistently TOP 3 player in NHL for the last 10 years, how is that highs and lows.....

Two seasons back Geno had minus 4 game in October, he got raped by PGH media, I still remember Prisuta and Ol'29er foaming about it. Than geno took over and carried the team pretty much byhimself through Novemeber,

Later Sif had, if I remember correctly, a -5 game, not a peep, not a peep (as it should not be), so please just stop with this nonsense

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I thought he looked fine in the first two periods, but that was before he took the back to back penalties in the 3rd. He looked a lot more engaged in the offensive zone, which was nice to see.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This season:

Geno 34 25
Sid 30 21

Sid is better all around player, I think we all established that here but this constant narrative of Geno's LOWS is driving me nuts. highs and Lows as if he was some gibroni like a bunch of guys in league they had occasionally good games and they drop off. Geno has been consistently TOP 3 player in NHL for the last 10 years, how is that highs and lows.....

Two seasons back Geno had minus 4 game in October, he got raped by PGH media, I still remember Prisuta and Ol'29er foaming about it. Than geno took over and carried the team pretty much byhimself through Novemeber,

Later Sif had, if I remember correctly, a -5 game, not a peep, not a peep (as it should not be), so please just stop with this nonsense

You missed this part of my narrative:

The difference is not great between them, but there is a gap.

People had the debate between the two and that is how I differentiate between them Simply put it is discipline. Malkin is more likely to turn the puck over for an odd man break the other way. Malkin is far more undisciplined as shown by his 52 PMs for the year as opposed to Crosby's 14. He leads the team by a dozen penalty minutes, and often they are stupid undisciplined ones like last night.

Still, as I said the difference is not great, but it is very noticable none the less.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin's "problems" with turnovers are vastly overstated. He takes risks. I want him taking risks. I don't have the numbers in front of me but his turnovers year after year are less egregious than you'd think. Particularly when you stack them up next to his takeaways.

And citing +/- to illustrate some sort of difference is failed to begin when you don't look at those situations in context. Did Malkin have any hand in those goals against? I don't recall that he did.

I'm not arguing that he's a lesser player than Crosby. That's pretty well established. But his turnovers have nothing to do with why. I'll take those turnovers all day every day so long as he keeps doing stuff like he did last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad