Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Sens 3 - The Phaneuf Gonna Party at Phil's Hot Dog Stand Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's the attitude we need. I occasionally get the impression some people are prioritizing being a contender into Sid and Geno's late-30s over maximizing these next few years.

We're gonna draft the next generational talent when Sid and Geno wind down, so we'll build again then. That's the Penguins way.

Doubt we get this lucky again, but if we did that would be cool. Build an all offensive fast team again. But I could care less about picks for now, we got a 5 year window, let's win 4 cups!

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think our window could be extended beyond the 5 years that JR had recommended.

We would need to get lucky in drafting a low-end 1c/high-end 2c with a later pick, and likely need a savvy signing or trade for another younger middle-six C. The winger depth will be there.

I think a D core of Schultz / Maatta / Dumoulin / Oleksiak and our goalie pipeline is enough to extend the window. At least one of our defensemen prospects is bound to pan out.

Malkin has also said on multiple occasions this past season that he wants to play for 10 more years. Crosby and Malkin might surprise everyone in their twilight years :yo:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sid and Geno are the kind of guys that could be fantastic well into their mid-30s. They are the type of players who never lose their hands or shot. They're not going to overwhelm opposing teams and win series on their own for much longer, if at all anymore, but they will absolutely be the driving force behind this team's Cup aspirations for another 5 or so years.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I also liked the idea someone mentioned in an earlier thread recently about using 'future fast young player to forecheck' - Crosby - Malkin, as a line beyond 5 years from now.

We would have access to Guentzel, Rust, Simon, possibly Sprong, possibly Sheary, Aston-Reese, etc to fill out a Top 9. Just need the center prospects.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think 87, 81 and 71 will be effective players well into their mid-30s but a steady decline in production should be expected. If it doesn’t happen, great.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Sid and Geno are the kind of guys that could be fantastic well into their mid-30s. They are the type of players who never lose their hands or shot. They're not going to overwhelm opposing teams and win series on their own for much longer, if at all anymore, but they will absolutely be the driving force behind this team's Cup aspirations for another 5 or so years.
See, I don't really buy this. Crosby's last conn smythe was as impress as any post season run he's had. I think these guys still dominate, but we have a much deeper team now so it shows less. They have less of the load to carry.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Didn’t St. Louis win a scoring title at 37? And he’s no Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad