Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Wild 1 (+/-): 11/04/14 - No Goal!!!

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Yep. He's not bad if he's the point guy on PP set up in the zone and he has 1 defender close and his task is to either pass it to Sid on the half wall or Geno across the ice.

He runs into problems if you add that 3rd option of the shot. He'll double clutch or think for a second then fire it off shin pads/sticks.

He's also pretty bad at carrying the puck while entering the zone. He freezes up and usually ends up coughing the puck up. They should condition him to dump and chase it himself everytime with a forward dropping back.

I agree with this assessment totally. I wouldn't necessarily have been able to quite put that into words, but -- when I read the way you laid it out, and think about it, yes...this is a pretty accurate assessment IMO.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Despres missed five minutes by being in the penalty box, and he doesn't play on the PK. So yeah his ice time was minimal. Also he's on the third pairing. Not sure what some of you are expecting.

with Maatta out, I don't think we expect him to be on the third pairing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Like I said throughout the game - I thought the Pens played extremely smart, other than some individual gaffes. They are building as a team right now and that's very scary for the rest of the league.

Bottom line - it was just so nice to see we could adapt and play a slower pace with puck control and team defense. That's what really won us the game. It wasn't our crazy high octane offense doing the trick. Our third line went out there, did the trick, and special teams put it away.

Great game. One of my favorite games to watch all season. It was just well-played.

RehnX

Jun 28, 2011
Indiana
I don't care if he was just standing completely still out there without a stick; you don't change a damned thing about this power play when it's working this well. You can hate what Letang is doing, but there is literally no reason to change anything right now.

I love Hornqvist, but I really wish he'd choose to pass a little more often, he makes some weird choices on his shots. Like odd backhands from above the circles...

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
This game seemed a lot like the Detroit game.. with a different outcome of course. And that different outcome was that Hornqvist.. with some saint-like patience and poise - was actually able to sink an empty netter. How amazing is that? A team pulls their goalie 2 men down and we get the empty netter? After the Detroit game i wasn't sure it was possible.

-Letang. He just doesn't belong on the PP. That turnover that gave the Wild their only goal was brutal. Almost a slow motion decision to pass the puck into three wild players while skating way out of position. This kind of stuff just needs to stop happening. Its cost them already this year and it could have cost them this game.

+Greiss - very good rebound game for him. He needed it.

+Sutter - Downie - Spalling. Very exceptional game from them
+Goc - noticed him a lot tonight.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
+ Greiss earned himself his first nhl.com pun headline with the Penguins

EDIT: Oh and he's critical with himself, too. Good to see.
I didn't feel too sharp. Bunch of rebounds I wasn't too happy with, bunch of small things, but it's just nice to get the win.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Wings fan in peace. Why hasn't Malkin been getting any EN opportunities this year? I have him in my pool, and for the second time this season I lost to the guy who has Crosby and Hornqvist, because Sid picked up an EN assist and Malkin didn't. :laugh:

Does Johnston not trust him like Bylsma did? Or is it still too early to tell...

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Wings fan in peace. Why hasn't Malkin been getting any EN opportunities this year? I have him in my pool, and for the second time this season I lost to the guy who has Crosby and Hornqvist, because Sid picked up an EN assist and Malkin didn't. :laugh:

Does Johnston not trust him like Bylsma did? Or is it still too early to tell...

He and his line were out there for an EN opportunity in at least one prior game, but his winger ****ed up a pass and they didn't score.

Crosby's line got the first shift after killing the Wild penalty before scoring the EN against the Wild - at the moment that line is just stronger at even strength. There are probably more reasons for the decision but it's about the quality of wingers, mostly.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

It's years we've been waiting for these guys ( Crosby and Malkin ) to be on the ice for an open net oppertunity, we ain't going to complain, we have been use to Craig Adams and company under Bylsma

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Did anyone catch the post-game commentary from Steiggy? It was hilarious how he completely downplayed Greiss's individual performance

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
@LyleKossis
Penguins rankings with last night's game:

Score-Adjusted Fenwick: 54.74% (5th)
Fen Close: 55.6% (2nd)
Corsi Close: 54% (6th)

Good stuff.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012

Very simple : the crappiest linemates he's had since he came to Pittsburgh.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
+ good win against a solid opponent on the road
- getting cute on the power play (I'm looking at you Letang, Sid) with drop passes and passes to nowhere while up 3-0 in the 3rd. Gave Min some life that otherwise wouldn't have been there.

+++++ It looks like the team (gasp!) is improving on things that looked awful a few weeks ago. it's almost like there are people watching the team making adjustments. Really fun to watch.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with Cole that this game was very enjoyable to watch. Not necessarily in a flashy, exciting way, but from a structure standpoint. The Pens played a great first 2 periods. They were patient and controlled the puck.

I love the willingness to regroup or turn it back to the defense when something isn't there. That's actually taking advantage of our talents on D.

Anyway:

+Letang: Too much hating on him in this thread. He made a boneheaded play on the PP, but he was great overall in this game. I think people have this expectation of him that he's a bonehead and makes stupid plays, so when he makes one, that affirms their opinion and then they come on here and say it. He played 29 minutes in a game where we beat one of the best teams in the league 4-1 and limited their opportunities. There is no way he should be a minus

+Martin - played 28 minutes of near mistake free hockey

+Despres - keeps getting better. He needs more ice time and I'd like to see him get a top 4 role, but at least he is playing games consistently

+Hornqvist - he's awesome all the time. His net front presence is a HUGE reason why our PP is so lethal. Which brings me to my next plus:

+Tocchet - Admittedly, we all hated on his PP set up and wanted to see Letang-Ehrhoff with Horn-Crosby-Malkin. But, through 10 games I am really seeing how having two net front guys is helpful. We have had so many tip plays that weren't available with just one guy there in the past. Geno on the left point has been generally good. If he can develop the Whitney slide back door play, this PP could break some records. Letang needs to keep things simpler and shoot, but I don't think he's been the abomination many others seem to think.

+Greiss - so calm, so well positioned. He botched a few rebounds, but he is in such good position, that he can gobble up second chances. It's only been 2 games and Fleury has played very well the last few games, but Greiss plays goal in a way that instills confidence.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
First home regulation loss for the Wild after 14 games.. Seems like we have some different game plans in our sleeve, depending on the opponent. This was the defensive/destructive one.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
++++ Johnston
They came out in the 2nd with a modified game plan to stretch the neutral zone out. It's so awesome to have a coach that can read what the other team is doing and make adjustments.

Johnston might turn out to be an absolute genius of a hire. Gotta see what happens post season, but right now this team feels far different then what it has in years.

++++ GMJR. I don't know what restrictions were on JR in carolina. But here he's done a damn good job of changing our team for the better in a very short time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad