Post-Game Talk: Pens 4-Leafs 3 (OT) | Left shoulder seals the deal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think we'll get a legit top six guy and maybe a tweener. If that happens, Comeau may go from one of the top lines to the 4th line.

JR hinted about making a couple moves. He was already in the market for a top six guy prior to the Dupuis injury. So I feel confident he'll be looking in acquiring two forwards.

That's what I'm hoping for but I don't know that we can hold him to his word. He also said in free agency he was going to get Geno a winger. I have no doubt he's going to try really hard to get 2 upgrades, but I don't know if it will end up happening.

Also, if he gets 2, at least one better not be a rental. I'm sick of that.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
And part of that reason is because we have no viable alternatives in the top six currently, so he's able to play with a guy like Geno. He's not gonna produce at this rate once the top six is fortified. And again that's not a slight against him, that's just the reality of the situation. But I'll give him credit, his skill is a bit better than his current salary would suggest.;)

Clearly. But then I think of the countless Pyatts, Glasses, etc., ... who didn't produce they way he did in his situation, and I'm happy.

He ain't a solution, though - that much is clear.

Michael8771*

That's what I'm hoping for but I don't know that we can hold him to his word. He also said in free agency he was going to get Geno a winger. I have no doubt he's going to try really hard to get 2 upgrades, but I don't know if it will end up happening.

TBH I would be surprised if at least one of the acquisitions wasn't a rental. JR seems to like keeping most non core players on short contracts. Unless it's two studs I'd expect one rental and one guy with a bit of term.

Clearly. But then I think of the countless Pyatts, Glasses, etc., ... who didn't produce they way he did in his situation, and I'm happy.

He ain't a solution, though - that much is clear.
I concur sir. Happy Thanksgiving to you guys.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

After reading that article in the Trib and listening to his interview, I'm convinced it's just a matter of time before he adds a couple guys. They might not be as good as we want. They might cost more than what we deem fair value. They might be older and on short term contracts. Who knows. Like you said though, hopefully one of them is a longterm solution.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We need two top 6 additions. Then, if Kunitz continues to be a pylon most of the time, one of the guys we added this summer can challenge him for a spot. Comeau has certainly outplayed him.

So has Spaling, for that matter. Outplay being the key word, not out-produce.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So has Spaling, for that matter. Outplay being the key word, not out-produce.

We're not bringing in three forwards. I'll settle for a player bringing more to the game when he's not scoring challenging Kunitz for a spot.

I understand you'd trade the entire roster minus Sid, Geno and anyone young. But that ain't happening.

terex

Jan 2, 2010
I'm happy with Sill and Adams getting buried on ice time, but I would like to see Goc out there for more than 7 minutes a game. He's capable enough to play 10-12 minutes a night.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm happy with Sill and Adams getting buried on ice time, but I would like to see Goc out there for more than 7 minutes a game. He's capable enough to play 10-12 minutes a night.

Yep. It sucks.

Either move Sutter for a winger and promote him to 3C, move Sutter to top-6 wing, or acquire 4th-line wingers who you feel comfortable playing 10 minutes a night on most nights (obviously the 4th line will play less on some occasions).

But Goc is too good to play 7 minutes a night AND you're going to wear the top-6 out

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The day we have our moment in the sun is when Kunitz is demoted to a 3rd line for his poor play and we trade a d-man for a winger. Those are the moments we need to see. Right now we are guaranteed to have Kunitz because we are soooo weak at our top 6 wings.

MrWilson*

Comeau has the HT...AND...the game winner...and Errey spouts off about how great Crosby is??? I don't know how PIT fans put up with this guy...guess they all just love the Koolaide... :shakehead

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Comeau has the HT...AND...the game winner...and Errey spouts off about how great Crosby is??? I don't know how PIT fans put up with this guy...guess they all just love the Koolaide... :shakehead

are... you ... kidding?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Don't know what gave you the idea Pens fans don't hate the local broadcast, but it's not correct.

Michael8771*

I truly feel bad more Goc, no joke. He beyond anyone else is getting the short end of the stick. It'd be nice if he got an odd shift with the big boys.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm struggling to understand your point here. Are you suggesting that you can't plug any bottom 6 winger with them, but Comeau has proven to work, like Feds and Talbot?

Also, I'm disappointed in the last sentence. We have seen Sid, Geno and the Pens struggle for the past 5 year's in the playoffs with the team building logic you are outlining here.

I'm saying credit is due to Comeau. You cannot just plug anyone with Sid or Geno and expect it to work. Comeau has worked well in the top 6 role, specifically with Malkin.

A lot of the problem the last 5 seasons has been the lack of any bottom 6 to be found, which I believe is what has made the top 6 situation look so bad. It's a chicken or the egg argument though. This bottom 6 is leaps and bounds better than anything we have had since deploying the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line. We do need a top 6 winger or two, but I'm not against counting Comeau as a guy who can legitimately be seen as someone to fill into the top 6, especially if he continues to show chemistry with Geno - that was the basis of the Talbot-Fedotenko comment. Comeau has had years where he produced at a 20 goal level, so it's not like we're talking about a guy who hasn't shown some goal scoring ability before. We need a top 6 winger with how I see things right now. I'd keep Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist together. Have Comeau-Malkin and hopefully a trade to bring in another guy. I'm also hoping Megna gets a some time with Malkin too.

People are quick to put Comeau down because he has had consistency issues in the past 3 years on some real bottom feeder teams. I think he has been pretty consistent here, and he has proven himself to the point he should get the start with Geno on a nightly basis until his play proves otherwise. Just because he hasn't been a top 6 winger in the last few years doesn't necessarily mean he's not one right now.

Is he someone I'd sink a bunch of term and money into? No. But can he be a stopgap top 6'er this season? There's some potential there and I wouldn't just quickly write him off as some have.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Forget Goc, what about Despres getting only 12 minutes???

Simon Despres is the guy we need to start giving more ice time to. He's among the NHL leaders in hits (that stat is not reliable at all, but still) and when he hits it's with purpose. He can soften up opponents. I just don't understand why we're overtaxing our top four and not play Despres on the PK (at the very least). It makes zero sense.

On the season, he's averaging 13:46. The No. 5 defenseman should be seeing 15-17 minutes, easily. If he wasn't playing well, at least that would be justifiable. And it's no longer Dan Bylsma behind the bench, so this is quite disturbing to me.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
at the same time, probably okay to praise a guy who just hit 800pts...

Weird, but it wasn't until this post that I realized how crazy it is that he has 800 points already. He kind of just racks up them points every season, but 800 points is a great career for most players. He's friggin' 27, so yeah, congrats Comeau on the trick, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape if Errey has a mild aneurysm complimenting Sid.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm saying credit is due to Comeau. You cannot just plug anyone with Sid or Geno and expect it to work. Comeau has worked well in the top 6 role, specifically with Malkin.

A lot of the problem the last 5 seasons has been the lack of any bottom 6 to be found, which I believe is what has made the top 6 situation look so bad. It's a chicken or the egg argument though. This bottom 6 is leaps and bounds better than anything we have had since deploying the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line. We do need a top 6 winger or two, but I'm not against counting Comeau as a guy who can legitimately be seen as someone to fill into the top 6, especially if he continues to show chemistry with Geno - that was the basis of the Talbot-Fedotenko comment. Comeau has had years where he produced at a 20 goal level, so it's not like we're talking about a guy who hasn't shown some goal scoring ability before. We need a top 6 winger with how I see things right now. I'd keep Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist together. Have Comeau-Malkin and hopefully a trade to bring in another guy. I'm also hoping Megna gets a some time with Malkin too.

People are quick to put Comeau down because he has had consistency issues in the past 3 years on some real bottom feeder teams. I think he has been pretty consistent here, and he has proven himself to the point he should get the start with Geno on a nightly basis until his play proves otherwise. Just because he hasn't been a top 6 winger in the last few years doesn't necessarily mean he's not one right now.

Is he someone I'd sink a bunch of term and money into? No. But can he be a stopgap top 6'er this season? There's some potential there and I wouldn't just quickly write him off as some have.

Hell no to putting Kunitz back with Sid. Those two needed separated. Kunitz isn't playing like a top 6 caliber winger right now anyway.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hell no to putting Kunitz back with Sid. Those two needed separated. Kunitz isn't playing like a top 6 caliber winger right now anyway.

You're really not going to get Kunitz going again with anyone else. It's still early in the season, I'd like him struggle it out. If we get to the deadline and Kunitz is still playing like a bag of ****...then you start bring in more drastic measures. We need Kunitz to find his game again. Burying him in the lineup is going to do that, IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Personally, I'm not writing Comeau off. But I would like to keep our options open. He has appeal because of his cheap contract and current production. If Rutherford is currently trying to move a D-man for a winger, say Martin, and if a team he's calling is asking about throwing in Comeau, I wouldn't be opposed to that scenario. That's all I meant when I said he's tradeable. It's not like I'm saying dump him for a draft pick now while his value is peaking. No.

BUT, if the Avalanche would be willing to take Martin and Comeau for O'Reilly, then of course you have to make that move.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You're really not going to get Kunitz going again with anyone else. It's still early in the season, I'd like him struggle it out. If we get to the deadline and Kunitz is still playing like a bag of ****...then you start bring in more drastic measures. We need Kunitz to find his game again. Burying him in the lineup is going to do that, IMO.

The only reason to put Kunitz back with Sid would be to showcase him for a trade. But he can do that next to Geno, as well. If we're placing Kunitz on the third line, it's because we're resigned to the fact we're stuck with his contract for the duration of the term.

For me he would be more of a priority to trade than anybody else in the organization save for Martin.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's old. If he can't get his game going with Malkin, he's not top 6 caliber anymore, and we're better off playing younger and hungrier players in his place.

Find an upgrade on Sid's LW and put Malkin with one top 6 caliber player and a rotation of whoever's going in that particular game.

Last edited:

Michael8771*

Kunitz game has changed dramatically. Instead of driving the net he's becoming more of a perimeter player. I think there's something behind it beyond not caring. I don't think he's a 100%. His skating is noticeably slower. He's not holding onto passes as well and he's not as physical as we're accustomed to seeing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Forget Goc, what about Despres getting only 12 minutes???

Simon Despres is the guy we need to start giving more ice time to. He's among the NHL leaders in hits (that stat is not reliable at all, but still) and when he hits it's with purpose. He can soften up opponents. I just don't understand why we're overtaxing our top four and not play Despres on the PK (at the very least). It makes zero sense.

On the season, he's averaging 13:46. The No. 5 defenseman should be seeing 15-17 minutes, easily. If he wasn't playing well, at least that would be justifiable. And it's no longer Dan Bylsma behind the bench, so this is quite disturbing to me.

I think I saw him on the PK for the last 30-ish seconds a few games ago. As is, it's like they're treating him like a rookie. Bottom pairing, limited minutes and no special teams... and babysitting Scuderi. imo, he should be playing more though, at least get him to 15 minutes and preserve the top 4.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
The day we have our moment in the sun is when Kunitz is demoted to a 3rd line for his poor play and we trade a d-man for a winger. Those are the moments we need to see. Right now we are guaranteed to have Kunitz because we are soooo weak at our top 6 wings.

I'd like to see that also, ultimately.

XXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXX - Malkin - Bennett
Kunitz - Goc - Downie
Megna - Spaling - Comeau

Something like that. Serious depth. Play our cards right and we can have the pieces to do that starting next October. Not sure if JR can pull it off this season!

So Sutter for a top 6, and some of the D for another top 6 wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad