Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Jets 3 (OT) - A Statement in Leadership/READ POST #110 (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
lmao how is it bashing geno to say he targeted the guy? i love it, i'm glad he did it, he was the only one with some balls last night
Do you think it was his intent to get guy in the head? I absolutely don't think so.
Posters on here do, for some reason.
It's hard to determine intent, it's just like you think so or not. I just know that Malkin is not that kind of person, he won't target players with intent to injure them.
I think he attempted to deliver a big hit and was aiming for the chest/shoulder, but unfortunatly it ended up as a high hit.

Geno wouldn't target the head? Sure he would. He's done things like that before. He is no stranger to dirty play. Let's not be homers guys.

And everybody on this board loves Geno. Penguins fans in general love Geno. That doesn't mean he's immune to criticism. Even so, most of the people calling his hit dirty are saying that they understand why he did it.
Sure he wouldn't. Deliver a big hit? Yes. Targeting guys head? No.

ColePens, but those hits were legal and that hit on Wheeler would be legal too, if not for him slouching on that play. Maybe that play by Geno was careless, as he expected Wheeler's shoulders to be higher. But I'm 100% sure he didn't want to get him in the head. Hit turned to be illegal, but it wasn't intentional.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
ColePens, but those hits were legal and that hit on Wheeler would be legal too, if not for him slouching on that play. Maybe that play by Geno was careless, as he expected Wheeler's shoulders to be higher. But I'm 100% sure he didn't want to get him in the head. Hit turned to be illegal, but it wasn't intentional.

Wheeler didn't touch the puck and Geno knew it. He didn't care. Same with the Lowry hit on the offsides. He was going in to truck someone regardless. Anyone who has played the game knows exactly where Geno's mind was. I don't think Geno cared where he hit him, he was running through whoever was in his way. Geno's intent was to send a message. It turned the game back around to our favor, IMO.

And if I were a teammate on the bench, I would have rallied behind it, too. As the team did. I just think it's be absolutely unfair for us to defend the hits. It is what it is. I personally think the refs were the ones who deserved a phone call from the league for letting that game get out of hand. The players just acted the way players do. Jets knew they were getting the edge on teh Pens with playing dirty. The Pens brought it right back. Give a hearing to the refs to pick up their game.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Wheeler didn't touch the puck and Geno knew it. He didn't care. Same with the Lowry hit on the offsides. He was going in to truck someone regardless. Anyone who has played the game knows exactly where Geno's mind was. I don't think Geno cared where he hit him, he was running through whoever was in his way. Geno's intent was to send a message. It turned the game back around to our favor, IMO.

And if I were a teammate on the bench, I would have rallied behind it, too. As the team did. I just think it's be absolutely unfair for us to defend the hits. It is what it is. I personally think the refs were the ones who deserved a phone call from the league for letting that game get out of hand. The players just acted the way players do. Jets knew they were getting the edge on teh Pens with playing dirty. The Pens brought it right back. Give a hearing to the refs to pick up their game.

Wheeler was about to touch the puck when Geno already winded up for the hit. And hit on Lowry was a good hit.
You're saying taking runs, I'm saying just delivering big hits, plus head contact on Wheeler's hit wasn't intentional - it's all I'm saying.

Can't belive that hit got so much fuss, but Jets gooning it up all night long and injuring our two Dman got under the rug. So now, "Malkin is dirty", "Pens are villians" but in reality it was the other way around with the Jets and their players. Malkin's hit was illegal, but it wasn't intentional dirty play.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wheeler was about to touch the puck when Geno already winded up for the hit. And hit on Lowry was a good hit.
You're saying taking runs, I'm saying just delivering big hits, plus head contact on Wheeler's hit wasn't intentional - it's all I'm saying.

Can't belive that hit got so much fuss, but Jets gooning it up all night long and injuring our two Dman got under the rug. So now, "Malkin is dirty", "Pens are villians" but in reality it was the other way around with the Jets and their players. Malkin's hit was illegal, but it wasn't intentional dirty.

You have a lot of people disagreeing with you, and I would imagine an honest Geno would do the same. Do you, at all, think maybe you are just blindly defending this one?

I think you are taking it too personally instead of just being realistic with what happened last night. Two wrongs do not make a right. Geno did what he had to do, IMO. The refs are to blame.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
To me it seems obvious because now Steigy wasn't slobbering all over MAF and actually pointed out his mistakes last night.

I was rolling my eyes after the second goal because MAF played it right over to two Jets with not a single Pen in sight... then I figured nothing would be said about it, and almost fell over when Steigy called him out for the dumb mistake.

He also admitted it may be his last home game and was making other comments that seems like he knows some inside info.

That doesn't mean a deal will be made obviously, but I'm pretty sure JR is looking hard based on the lack of homerism for MAF last night.

Noticed that last night, too.

HOWEVER, he is still Bob Steigerwald. It seemed to me that he was more excited over the excellent first period that GAF had than Crosby's 1000th point. He was borderline psychotic with glee after some of Fleury's saves.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

HOWEVER, he is still Bob Steigerwald. It seemed to me that he was more excited over the excellent first period that GAF had than Crosby's 1000th point. He was borderline psychotic with glee after some of Fleury's saves.

Like the one where MAF fell over and had to make a toe save as he was falling over for no reason? :laugh:

"THAT REMINDS ME OF THE 80S BOB WHEN I USED TO SIT BEHIND THE GLASS AT THE CIVIC ARENA!"

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
You have a lot of people disagreeing with you, and I would imagine an honest Geno would do the same. Do you, at all, think maybe you are just blindly defending this one?

I think you are taking it too personally instead of just being realistic with what happened last night. Two wrongs do not make a right. Geno did what he had to do, IMO. The refs are to blame.

Again, he did deliver an illegal hit, I'm not denying it, but what I'm saying - I don't think it was his intent. His intent was to rock Wheeler on a legal check, I'm like 100% sure, it's just didn't work out that way and he's not blame free for that, obviously. He suffered a big concussion in juniors and he spoke about concussions in a documentary, he don't think about them lightly. He's not that kind of person to get out there and target players with intent to injure them, he's not Cooke. It's hard to determine intent, it comes down to what you think about the person.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I've been wrong all this time :sarcasm:

I think one thing about Crosby's milestone was that Steigy had yakked about it so often for the previous three games or so that when it finally happened he had nothing left to say. He did have some cheesy sound byte prepared that he dropped at some point after the assist, but I think even a BSer like him eventually runs out of stuff to say haha.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Who?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
i don't want guys on the team that can only take runs and provide faux-toughness. i love a team that can ignore it all and push right through. i believe this team can do that. but at the same time, if evgeni ****ing malkin wants to knock someone out along the way, and picks his spots the way he did last night, why the hell not?

Hard to argue against this any longer because the Pens won a cup last year doing it this way.

My only point last night was if you accept what you stated above is true, don't cry and complain when the opponent decides to go Nuclear on the Pens any given night.

Accept it, don't whine.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Long-lost red-headed step brother of Paul and John.

I go out of my away to stream out-of-town broadcasts unless it's Boston, Washington, or Columbus. I just can't stand to listen to him anymore.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Geno wouldn't target the head? Sure he would. He's done things like that before. He is no stranger to dirty play. Let's not be homers guys.

And everybody on this board loves Geno. Penguins fans in general love Geno. That doesn't mean he's immune to criticism. Even so, most of the people calling his hit dirty are saying that they understand why he did it.

This! Seriously guys, Geno can be super dirtbaggish. Let's not deny that! We sound like Flyers fans if we deny super obvious stuff like that.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Thing with Geno is, he ALWAYS does stuff like that when he feels the team has been slighted. He hardly ever initiates that nonsense, but I'm very glad he finishes it.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I've been wrong all this time :sarcasm:

I think one thing about Crosby's milestone was that Steigy had yakked about it so often for the previous three games or so that when it finally happened he had nothing left to say. He did have some cheesy sound byte prepared that he dropped at some point after the assist, but I think even a BSer like him eventually runs out of stuff to say haha.

Derp! My bad, guys. No idea why the hell I wrote Bob. Lol, I can try to make a cool excuse by saying I care so little about the guy I get his first name wrong.

Like the one where MAF fell over and had to make a toe save as he was falling over for no reason? :laugh:

"THAT REMINDS ME OF THE 80S BOB WHEN I USED TO SIT BEHIND THE GLASS AT THE CIVIC ARENA!"

Yeah, he shouted about that for a full two minutes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For what it's worth, Hagelin is listed as being on LTIR according to the Penguins website and Ruhwedel is listed on the Penguins roster. Maatta is not on LTIR as of yet.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/roster

I also just thought of something. Could you see Crosby winning the Lady Byng trophy this year? He only has 16 PIM on the year, which is what Kopitar had last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad