Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Rangers 1 - Someone Tell Cole the Number for 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't remember the mainboard's reaction to the Staal crosscheck to Sid's head but I don't think it was as much as the Letang reaction. People pick and choose I guess.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Saying he'll play when he's cleared doesn't mean it's the right call. Especially with this team.

I mean, ****, Geno's "cleared to play," but does he look anywhere close to healthy? :laugh:

I'm sure MAF will be in as soon as he's cleared. I just hope he isn't "Penguins cleared" as opposed to legitimately cleared.

Nice part is, with Murray being able to play like he does, they can take it slower with MAF. I believe with Murray back there will be a more conservative approach unless Murray absolutely collapses. If Murray can backstop us to...anything...and MAF doesn't play it will make for an interesting off season, especially if a team like Dallas goes down and goaltending is an issue.

I'm cool with them limiting Malkin's minutes especially based off how he played in the first two periods. I was curious if it was injury related.

Let's talk lines for a second. Kunitz-Sid-Horny was an apathatic, atrocious mess. There was zero energy and zero hustle outside of Horny's typical game - which is about the only thing that saved that line at times. You make the switch to Sheary and they are bursting with energy. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that Kunitz isn't working there.

Kuhn-Cullen-Rust was the ideal bottom 6 line and exactly what we need. I have zero issue with them being out against any line. Their chemistry and speed are such a refreshing breath of air here.

Hags-Bones-Phil I would like to see more out of but when the game gets going, they are going with the best of them. The speed of Hags and Kessel are giving the Rangers fits. They just need to capitalize on a couple. But that's good that we can score even when that line or the top line isn't. Usually it was unless Sid or Geno scored, no one would.

That brings us to Kunitz-Malkin-Fehr. This was a fantastic switch up for Sullivan. You give the skilled, speedy, energy guy to Sid and in reinvigorates him. You give the slower guy and Fehr to Malkin who plays a slower game and it works out. Malkin likes to control what's going on with his line. Neither Kunitz or Fehr have the ability to drive the play so they are forced to leech onto Malkin, which is fine...that's what Malkin needs. And their lack of foot speed plays into Malkin's style anyway. It's just a fit now...a MUCH better fit and I hope like hell at least one coach saw what we all saw. It will be an absolute crime against this team if they go back to Kunitz-Sid-Horny. Crime I tells ya.

Now with that, I would say that as far as the forwards go, Kunitz has been by far the worst and least effective. Followed by Fehr. And Malkin still isn't 100%. Perfect. Stick those guys (who will already by a game that suits one another) on the same line and give them 3rd/4th line minutes sans special teams. This way, you are limited the effect their questionable play can have on the team as a whole. Then you lean on a revamped Sid's line, Hags-Bones-Phil, and the perpetual plus line of Kuhn-Cullen-Rust.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Malkin-Fehr
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rust

This line up works. Go to it long term until it breaks. Do not revert back to old stale ways. Please Sullivan...please.

Gonna take another couple of sentences to praise Sheary just a little bit more. Kid is killing it. He wants to stay up here and is doing everything he should be doing. When Bennett gets cleared there could be questions on who stays in and who goes out...and I think it's Bennett that stays out. I think this youthful competition is breeding play like Sheary's and it's fun to watch. I get more excited with Sheary on the ice than I do Malkin now. Here's the thing to keep in mind though, this could be a flash in the pan. Sheary may never be able to keep up this pace and play. So ya know what...ride it. Ride it now for all it's worth. He's earned it.

Agreed about Anaheim. I had high hopes for them, but they really haven't been enjoyable to watch at all. From an entertainment perspective, I want:

Stars-Blues
Sharks-Preds

That guarantees a new team (or a team we haven't see there in a long time) heads to the dance.

I would love that to be honest. I've enjoyed the Blues-Hawks and Sharks-LA series. I want more of those types of series rather than the Preds-Ducks. Turned it on but i couldn't keep myself watching.

The next game is tomorrow. Knowing their penchant/reluctance to not want to give suspensions to good players during the playoffs, they'll probably just wait for this to blow over and the next game to start. Just saying.

I mean a few years back in the playoffs, Shea Weber slammed Zetterberg's head into the glass like it was a turnbuckle and I don't think he got suspended.

Indeed. We've seen a lot of stuff go unpunished over the years. Perhaps this is the balance for Staal's crosscheck into Sid's neck.

I watched Rangers stream, Stalberg was bleeding. It should have been a double-minor.

4min penalty. I would have accepted that and moved on.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
With or without the Letang incident the Pens' win was going to be attributed to the refs by the NY media and fans.

Careless play that deserved a penalty? Sure - along with who-the-hell knows how many crosschecks, slashes, punches etc. from the Rags that are "old time hockey" *********.

If the Pens do well and win this series, at least now Rags' fans and media have a built-in excuse.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
With or without the Letang incident the Pens' win was going to be attributed to the refs by the NY media and fans.

Careless play that deserved a penalty? Sure - along with who-the-hell knows how many crosschecks, slashes, punches etc. from the Rags that are "old time hockey" *********.

If the Pens do well and win this series, at least now Rags' fans and media have a built-in excuse.

It's all just hype. I don't know why people don't just ignore it. Anyways, the refs have been spotty this series and especially last game IMO. Both teams have gotten screwed and will continue to get screwed or get undeserved power plays.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Perhaps I'm not giving them enough credit, but I'm actually quite surprised we haven't seen something come out about how it's the Penguins player's fault Staal's stick went into Lundqvist's eye.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
It's all just hype. I don't know why people don't just ignore it. Anyways, the refs have been spotty this series and especially last game IMO. Both teams have gotten screwed and will continue to get screwed or get undeserved power plays.

Oh, I agree that every team gets screwed by the refs simply because they're so awful. Some fan bases hype it more than others is all.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Holy ****, that GDT. I have no words.

I went to bed because I had an early lecture today, but it sounds like we played a good game here but that GDT is brutal- was it just emotions riding high or did we really look that bad?
Emotions were definitely running high, especially when it looked like another no discipline meltdown was brewing. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Pens were bad, I think it was more that the Pens weren't good enough in certain areas. It also didn't help our temperament that, unsurprisingly to everyone except the coaching staff, Lovejoy Cole looked like garbage.

At a minimum, I'd watch the 3rd period.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Agreed, a penalty should have been called, refs missed it thinking it was probably the Rangers player who hit Stalberg in the face, but a suspension? Come on

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Emotions were definitely running high, especially when it looked like another no discipline meltdown was brewing. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Pens were bad, I think it was more that the Pens weren't good enough in certain areas. It also didn't help our temperament that, unsurprisingly to everyone except the coaching staff, Lovejoy Cole looked like garbage.

At a minimum, I'd watch the 3rd period.

Just got there now (@ Cullen's goal)! And definitely worth the price of admission (so to speak) so far. I love watching Letang beastin'.:handclap:

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Good road playoff win right there. Sometimes it's ugly but let's remember that the Rags are a pretty good team. Especially at home. Would love going 3-1 up back to Pittsburgh. Would be huge.

LGP

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wasn't it Stalberg that ended Porter's season by plowing into him away from the puck?

I'm not arguing it's karma, but there's another example of recklessness that leads to an injury going totally unpunished.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Lol another athlete heckling others? He should know what its like playing for the jets fanbase and all.....
Sure, think what great ammo that gives him to use. Hell, his sister is a 350-pound Olympic powerlifter -- imagine what New York fans have said to him on the sidelines when they're losing.

3fc057774db6065a582934b0c0cfe328-original.jpg

Most underrated though is the look on Ryan Fitzpatrick's face. And the fact that he's wearing a Dominic Moore jersey to support a fellow Harvard bro.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Wasn't it Stalberg that ended Porter's season by plowing into him away from the puck?

I'm not arguing it's karma, but there's another example of recklessness that leads to an injury going totally unpunished.

To be fair, I'm not sure that's not a blessing in disguise. :laugh:

I mean, it sucked for Porter, but I'd rather not have him as a choice in the lineup, frankly.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Sure, think what great ammo that gives him to use. Hell, his sister is a 350-pound Olympic powerlifter -- imagine what New York fans have said to him on the sidelines when they're losing.

3fc057774db6065a582934b0c0cfe328-original.jpg

Most underrated though is the look on Ryan Fitzpatrick's face. And the fact that he's wearing a Dominic Moore jersey to support a fellow Harvard bro.

LOL. What a loser. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I know nothing about the NFL but his wikipedia page says he campaigned for Mitt Romney. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad