Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He'll probably Tweet this later, but it's up on his site now

bracket-2017-05-04.png

Source

Yeah, I like McCurdy's model. He is higher than the historical averages for us because he puts a lot of information into any model that he makes, including the injuries, etc.

It kind of shows that the simple CF% that many use as a predictor only goes so far, as the Pens have sucked at those numbers this playoffs. But if you produce models like Micah does it cuts through to how the players are actually playing. He is not perfect, no one is, but he and the others get better every year at what they do.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Getting that win last night was huge in terms of buying time for Sid and Sheary to get healthy. They can now theoretically afford to lose 2 more games whereas going back to washington tied would have been an extremely high pressure situation. If they can finish this on Saturday without those two and give them a little extra time to rest up for the finals, that's great. Not to get ahead of myself...

I know this sounds really silly but at this point i'm not worried about whether or not Murray will come back at any point in these playoffs. This is essentially an ideal situation for the Pens, provided Fleury doesn't collapse. He is riding off into the sunset with the best stretch of his career and will have increased his trade value significantly if he backstops the Pens to the finals.

I want Murray back at least for the simply fact that this is the penguins and injuries are the norm. Jarry would not be ready for playoff hockey.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Why would you risk his career, and even life with a 3-1 lead? Or anytime really? The past has shown those rushed back have the worst outcomes. No need.

I'm pretty sure he means beat them without Crosby so he can rest longer.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Saturday seems so long away.

In the past I've always hated this 3 day break in between, especially after coming off of a win. For some reason this year, I'm really happy about the extra day off. The guys need it big time the way our season has gone!!!!!

Horny, Hags and our entire 6 D will benefit big time from it

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And Ovi has not been especially noticable. Either his is getting old, or maybe that Kadri hit did some damage and he is playing injured. But he is almost invisible most of the time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In the past I've always hated this 3 day break in between, especially after coming off of a win. For some reason this year, I'm really happy about the extra day off. The guys need it big time the way our season has gone!!!!!

Hell, I need another day of recovery after last night.

This may be the first playoff run where I'm relieved when there's an extra day off between games :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hell, I need another day of recovery after last night.

This may be the first playoff run where I'm relieved when there's an extra day off between games :laugh:

I 100% agree with you and I know many others probably do, as well. I am mentally and physically exhausted after Pens games. I thought last year was bad because I really wanted to see that team win, but this feels worse. :laugh:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Yeah, I definitely agree with you guys the extra day off benefits the Pens. It would be glorious to finish off these dirtbags in their own building.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
OV is not is working particularly hard and doesn't look hungry. CBC commented on it last night.

Maybe he didn't like what happened to Sid? Maybe he doesn't like some of his teammates? Maybe there is a poison in the culture (Orpik)? It seems similar to the Pens under DB. He wasn't even remotely running around last night and that's unusual for Ovi. He seemed disinterested.

I don't feel like they have a team commitment and there seems to be something pulling them away from one another. I could only randomly speculate on what it is. But that team's culture is broken. You can just tell.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe he didn't like what happened to Sid? Maybe he doesn't like some of his teammates? Maybe there is a poison in the culture (Orpik)? It seems similar to the Pens under DB. He wasn't even remotely running around last night and that's unusual for Ovi. He seemed disinterested.

I don't feel like they have a team commitment and there seems to be something pulling them away from one another. I could only randomly speculate on what it is. But that team's culture is broken. You can just tell.

I am wondering if this played a role:

Yeah he came back and played, but you never know if anything lingered. Ovechkin was holding his knee just after the hit.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
OV is not is working particularly hard and doesn't look hungry. CBC commented on it last night.

The one Capital fan clown posted how great Ovie is and how his .98 PPG in the postseason ranks fourth since he entered the league for active players. However, since '11-12 his PPG is .70 while Geno has over a point per game and Crosby is nearly that in that timeframe. He hasn't taken his game to the next level in the playoffs in a while.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

CBC also speculated on OV's mental reaction to Sid being out.

VirginiaBob

TradingSystemsGroup

I'd rather finish this series quick on Friday (instead of Saturday) and have a longer break until the next one though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
OV is just getting older. He's coming off his worst regular season ever. Still a great player, but not quite the dominant force he once was. He's more equivalent to Phil Kessel now in terms of production/ability than Crosby and Malkin.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
OV plays uncommonly hard and has made a lot of borderline or not-great hits in his career, so it's not like i love the guy or think he's best buds with Sid, but I do think he legitimately enjoys the challenge of playing against Crosby even if he's bowed out of the best player in the league conversation by his own admission. I still don't think he would be THAT bummed, to the degree that he'd give half an effort in what's probably the last real Cup run for this incarnation of his team, just because his rival isn't playing in it. OV wants the cup as bad as anyone.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The one Capital fan clown posted how great Ovie is and how his .98 PPG in the postseason ranks fourth since he entered the league for active players. However, since '11-12 his PPG is .70 while Geno has over a point per game and Crosby is nearly that in that timeframe. He hasn't taken his game to the next level in the playoffs in a while.

OV is now a player that requires another player to do something first in order for him to be effective. It's not that he's not trying; it's that more needs to go right in order for him to show up on a scoresheet. He doesn't need that many clean looks to beat a goaltender, but getting clean looks is a chore and beyond his control in a lot of ways. There's more variables involved in a sequence where OV scores than one where Kessel does.

And with as tightly as the Pens are checking him, he really doesn't have the space to get clean shots off. Every time the puck goes to him, someone just steps right into the space dead center in front of his body. Can't shoot like that. 8 years ago, his acceleration prevented this type of aggressive gapping, but that acceleration isn't there anymore, and hasn't been for a while.

Basically, he's a linebacker Brett Hull now, instead of a power forward Pavel Bure. The player he is now is still pretty effective, but he's a lot easier to mark than he used to be--and that's an athleticism thing, not a desire thing.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I agree about him slowing down, but it appeared his effort level wasn't there last night. He did not look like he was trying to win board battles.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
I think you can give Ovechkin a lot of crap, but he definitely thrives playing against Sid and Geno, so for him to not be as visibile means something's going on.

He's probably injured like most players this time of the year. I highly doubt the guy who took a shot to Hainseys face feels bad about Sid being out.

Now, Holtby has looked disinterested at times. He raised his game when Sid went down but those 2 late goals. Then last night watching the Caps not being able to score then Horny and the own goal. Got right back in his head. That was huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad