Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Caps 2 - Fleury 3:16 Says 'I Just Smiled'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's almost like the statements "When scoring first...." :sarcasm: Of coarse it makes a HUGE difference in the probabilities. We only have to win 3 of 6 games, they have to win 4 of 6. WSH are still more likely to win any single game though.

Well his algorithms are much more in depth than that, so I was somewhat surprised by the swing giving the Pens almost a two in three chance of advancing. That said, when you have two fairly evenly matched teams, going down one game to none at home is a big deal.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Cuz, you need to rewatch the play.

I played both positions, and that goal is on Sheary.

They never had a decent chance to exit the zone. Hainsey and Daley chased behind the net with two Caps... Caps had clear possession on the strong side circle... puck was thrown to the net, Hainsey batted it out of the air and it went near Bones who was in a bad spot surrounded by Caps.. Sheary tried to blow the zone, which is a no-no unless your team has clear possession...

Sheary left his assignment when there wasn't even close to clear possession. Watch it again and you will see.

Unless you expected Bones to grow superhuman powers and blow off people's feet when he swatted a bouncing puck, then ya Sheary didn't blow it...

Not only is all of this true but you forget to mention Shearys blind pass to the middle , right to a caps player which led to a 3 on 2 the other way setting up that whole sequence. He was a mess that whole shift.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
You know last year he had only 6pts in the playoffs, in 24 games. In 6 so far he has 2 assists and is a 63.5% percent faceoff guy. He was only 52.2% last year, so he's already doing much better than he did last playoffs.

Remember his age and his line, he's doing better than he was last year, I think people need to realize that before they criticize wanting more out of him. OH and yeah, without a doubt the line of I believe it was - Wilson, Rowney, Archibald - that looked really good, was it not? I mean I definitely bring Archibald in but I feel like if anything, if they bench Sheary, Rowney will be back in or Hagelin is back. Then they rotate guys around.

Out of all of the forwards, Sheary is playing like he hasn't even earned his shot on the Black Aces Squad.

Agreed, I think Cullen has been ok. I think if Kunitz can get some chemistry, 14/7/34 can be a very solid 4th line.

Wait, I get Wilson but why would you take out Kuhnhackl? He's won board battles and is one of the reasons that 4th line was hemming the Caps in their own end with Cullen and Kunitz. If there's anyone you bench to play Hagelin and Archibald, it's Sheary and Wilson. Even Wilson had one good play that sprung Bonino for the GWG, so I almost want to give him a pass just for that.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Bonino, Rust - Just adding Bones there to the line that was fantastic in the playoffs last year.
Kunitz, Cullen, Archibald

I don't want to see Kuhn benched, either. His offensive stars were down a bit this year, but I honestly think he's a better overall player. He's certainly (at this point) been better in the playoffs than Wilson, Sheary and Rowney.

Hmmm what??
If Kessel and some of his teammates had taken advantage of some of his great passes or play, you wouldn't be saying that i think.
Look, despite the scoreboard, i thought that Geno just had his best game of the POs so far.
He was just a monster in the first 2 periods both in defensive and offensive zone.
So i really don't understand all people saying he wasn't good.

Anyway, great win for the lads and great way to start the serie.
Other than Geno, Flower, Horny, Sid and Guentz were great.

I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree with you. Malkin, IMO, had a very poor game last night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

So we're gonna see:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Bonino-Rust
Kunitz-Cullen-Wilson

I like it.

Uh oh, I feel like this might mean Hornqvist is hurt. I feel like Rowney would just sub in for Hornqvist if Horny was just having a maintenance day.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The momentum of last night's game changed on one play that led to Ovie's goal. First, Malkin loses the puck on Carlson's hit. Oshie gets the puck and Kessel either loses an edge or is pushed to the ice by Oshie. Oshie skates with the puck to the O-zone and Malkin fails to get the puck from both Oshie and Ovie. But kessel does not get back on time to influence the play. Ovie gets the shot and scores. If Kessel would have busted his rear to play D, that goal doesn't happen. There are clearly four pens defending on the Ovie's goal, but no RW.

On Sheary, He has played like crap since he got hurt late in the season. Is he still hurting???

Why the Leafs played great against the leafs. One word, SPEED. The CRAPS can't handle speed. Their D is too slow. That's why Hags and Archi should be put in the lineup on Saturday.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Don't tell me he's hurt. One of the most important players so far. And then we would be stuck with that 3rd line again?

No way he's missing a game.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
looks like sheary is odd man out...Horny slides on first, third line looks like wilson Bones rust...I'd still prefer sheray on that 3rd LW but whatever, that third line will still suck....

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
[B said:
joeyjake5;131569151]The momentum of last night's game changed on one play that led to Ovie's goal. First, Malkin loses the puck on Carlson's hit. Oshie gets the puck and Kessel either loses an edge or is pushed to the ice by Oshie. Oshie skates with the puck to the O-zone and Malkin fails to get the puck from both Oshie and Ovie. But kessel does not get back on time to influence the play. Ovie gets the shot and scores. If Kessel would have busted his rear to play D, that goal doesn't happen. There are clearly four pens defending on the Ovie's goal, but no RW. [/B]

On Sheary, He has played like crap since he got hurt late in the season. Is he still hurting???

Why the Leafs played great against the leafs. One word, SPEED. The CRAPS can't handle speed. Their D is too slow. That's why Hags and Archi should be put in the lineup on Saturday.

this was a very good assessment, however you completely forget about Shultz, he is very passive back there, had time to step up to Ovi and challenge the shot, he kind of halfa.. stood there pretending to block the shot...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bones and Rust were good together late in the season. It'll be a much better line with our Sheary.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't tell me he's hurt. One of the most important players so far. And then we would be stuck with that 3rd line again?

No way he's missing a game.

I mean he probably is hurt, but I didn't see anything last night that should be a problem that would prevent him from playing.

Probably just a maintenance day. A lot of guys are banged up. Kessel keeps taking practices off for the same reason.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's a tremendous amount of luck involved in the playoffs and at the same time, your team has to have a certain "swagger" about them. A calm, cool confidence that translates into pure blood and guts effort. You need to confident with a smidgen of arrogance while remaining humbly focused on each passing second.

Some teams never get there. Some do. Some players never get there. Some do. It's not something that can be taught or coached.

Given the difference in this team pre and post Sullivan I am really questioning that statement.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We've moved past the game, so I've moved the last few posts to the series discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad