Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Canes 2 - Kunitz Ties Guentzel for 2nd to Last Among Forwards in Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Murray to Dallas per Full Rossi.

Kunitz extension news to follow.

EDIT: Extra credit to whoever knows who's last in goals among forwards who have played with the big club.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's not joke around about fake twitters having fun. Someone will take it serious and derail the thread.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Today I learned it's okay to support both goalies and that I should. Fleury also scored a goal going by the chants, that was neat.

When does the Murray support equal the Fleury support? I should mark it down so I'll remember.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Another terrible game for Kunitz. Even with scoring that goal.

Carolina Hurricanes @ Pittsburgh Penguins
12/28/2016

Period 1

- Shift 1 - KMH - Slow on the forecheck on a few occasions.
- Shift 2 - KMH - Turned the puck over along the boards in the offensive zone with minimal pressure. Lazy skating on the forecheck in the offensive zone.
- Shift 3 - KMH - Still a bit slow on everything he's doing.
= Shift 4 - KMH - Nothing of note, good or bad. Couldn't beat out a man on an icing call but that was about it.
+ Shift 5 - KMH - Got the puck in deep, but that was about it. Had a good pass to Hornqvist into the offensive zone.

Period Recap - 1 Plus, 3 Minuses, 1 Even. He looked like he was skating in quicksand on his first 3 shifts. He just couldn't get to where he needed to be to help his line maintain possession or create turnovers that a faster player would have. He got a bit better as the period went along, but even still the things that he did do weren't anything any other player in the lineup couldn't do. In other words they were routine plays any NHL'er could and should make.

Period 2

- Shift 1 - KMH - Couldn't do anything with his limited time with the puck.
= Shift 2 - KMH - Cut off a Cane in the neutral zone causing a turnover. Was in good position in his own zone intercepting a pass and getting the puck back up ice.
- Shift 3 - KMH - Sent the puck in deep along the boards to nobody. Other than that nothing else happened with him.
= Shift 4 - KBH - Nothing of note. Was a short shift before the TV timeout.
- Shift 5 - KMH - Lots of floating, and couldn't do anything in the offensive zone with the puck along the boards.
- Shift 6 - KMH - Lots of looping and standing flat footed/straight up. Little to no effort at all.

Period Recap - 4 Minuses, 2 Evens. Kunitz was terrible that period. Zero effort. If he was a rookie, he'd be benched by now. That's all there is to say about it.

Period 3

+ Shift 1 - KBK - Did a great job to get in a soft spot in the high slot and buried his chance. He showed some effort after Sullivan demoted him to the 3rd line.
- Shift 2 - KBK - Fumbled and bumbled around with the puck. He had stonehands that shift.
- Shift 3 - KBK - Got lost and out of position in his own zone. Carolina had an extended shift in the o-zone partly because of that.
= Shift 4 - KBK - Got the puck in deep and worked it along the boards, but couldn't do anything with it and Carolina cleared.
- Shift 5 - KBK - Lazy shift. He barely even tried to skate to loose pucks.
= Shift 6 - KBK - Nothing of note, good or bad.
= Shift 7 - KBF - Nothing happened. Canes had their goalie pulled.

Period/Game Recap - 1 Plus, 3 minuses, 3 Evens. Outside of scoring that goal, he was terrible again in the 3rd. He just didn't give a damn this game, and it showed with how often the Canes won 50/50 battles with him on the ice. If I were the coach, he'd be benched for the next game with that terrible effort. Instead, he scores a goal, and we'll have to hear how awesome he was.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Fleury was good, I am happy for him. I will just trust that they gonna find a trade partner for him and wish him the very best.

Also not sure if I can remember a game without a single penalty

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Missed the game. From the box score, looks like Murray played really well. How did he play? How about Pouliot? Many thanks

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ Fleury/Murray
+ Sid
+ Hags w/ Geno
+/- Defense. We are winning games, but it ain't pretty.

Honestly, I have to re-watch period #1 right now, but you cannot deny that we upped our level a good bit there in the 3rd to win. That team flipped the switch and went for it. Loved it.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Murray update? Please? How do they go a full period without fiding out why the starting goalie was pulled between periods?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Both were fine. It was a real surprise when Murray didn't start the third because he was clearly one of the main factors keeping the Pens in the game.

It sounded like Fleury was as surprised as anyone that Murray wasn't going out to start the 3rd. Makes me wonder what the problem was.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Another terrible game for Kunitz. Even with scoring that goal.

giphy.gif

Kunitz was there. Actually i like H-M-H line better.

That's because Hags plays like he gives a ****. That said, much as I've hoped otherwise over the last 16 months and tried to read promise into things, Geno and Horny are oil and water.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not the best of wins, but two points is two points. Hoping to see more of Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist. Also really like the physicality we got to see.

I fear that another injury announcement will be coming soon though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't want to harp on it too much but I just think Geno plays so much better with Hags. Hags isn't offensively great at all, but he does so much defensively that it helps Geno be able to do Geno-like things. And we all love Geno being Geno.

And Hornqvist is ****ing awesome. He took his brief demotion like a champ and never looked back. I really love #72.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Both were fine. It was a real surprise when Murray didn't start the third because he was clearly one of the main factors keeping the Pens in the game.

I was also only box score watching, but can someone please convince me that I shouldn't be freaking out right now about MAF being brought in for Murray if this is the case?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Murray was back on the bench so i have to believe whatever it is, isn't too bad.
But this is the Pens so...

Good news from this one is Kunitz may finally be demoted again.
Sid's line still needs more skill.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
These lines are set in stone for another 5 or so Kunitz scoreless games. Whoever vouches for Kunitz in the FO ( because its obvious that someone does) should be fired. Were never going to get into any kind of rhythm if everyone else on the team has to suffer and adjust in order to cater to a has-been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad