Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Bolts 2: Kunitz Inspires Sid to Score the OT Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
man i hate when people buy into the narrative that crosby is bad defensively. or because he hasn't been nominated for the selke, that means he's not a two way center

I lost my calm at a Toronto fan in the polls section about a month ago over this. They were seriously arguing that everything/-one else being equal, the Blackhawks would not have one a single cup today, if you switched Crosby for Toews.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I lost my calm at a Toronto fan in the polls section about a month ago over this. They were seriously arguing that everything/-one else being equal, the Blackhawks would not have one a single cup today, if you switched Crosby for Toews.

Yeah, apparently Crosby doesn't know how to win. I mean, he only has a Stanley Cup, World Championship (gold), World Juniors (gold), and two Olympic gold medals - one of which he captained. But yeah, Toews is clearly such a better player. :laugh:

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Matt Murray and 2 2nds for Doug Murray.

Which brings me back to my universally panned Carolina idea. Fleury for Fleury. :laugh:

Yeah, apparently Crosby doesn't know how to win. I mean, he only has a Stanley Cup, World Championship (gold), World Juniors (gold), and two Olympic gold medals - one of which he captained. But yeah, Toews is clearly such a better player. :laugh:

This wasn't even about intangibles, they were outright saying Crosby was a bad defensive player.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really question that. Tampa is a fast team. Not as fast as Pittsburgh, but easily one of the faster teams in the league. I think the difference between TBLs and NYR's speed, is who's fast. In NY it was (for the most part) the bottom 6 guys. In Tampa that speed is coming from guys in the top 6.

Perhaps so, but not entirely relevant to the point. Namely that the Pens have faced what Tampa Bay does before, and dealt with it easily. We can quibble about degrees but the difference is not so big so as to change the notion. The Pens just are not making the passes that they were earlier. Fix that and the Pens will become a much bigger problem for the Lightning.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Perhaps so, but not entirely relevant to the point. Namely that the Pens have faced what Tampa Bay does before, and dealt with it easily. We can quibble about degrees but the difference is not so big so as to change the notion. The Pens just are not making the passes that they were earlier. Fix that and the Pens will become a much bigger problem for the Lightning.

Agreed - and looking at the shots, we're already an issue for them. Sure it's 1-1, but that doesn't really bother me all that much. We played like **** on Friday and they deserved that win. If we play more like we did lastnight, they're going to have their hands full - especially if we improve at all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agreed - and looking at the shots, we're already an issue for them. Sure it's 1-1, but that doesn't really bother me all that much. We played like **** on Friday and they deserved that win. If we play more like we did lastnight, they're going to have their hands full - especially if we improve at all.

I am in agreement as well. The Pens laid an egg game one, but the underlying possession numbers would have me worried if I were the Lightning. Because going into the series that was the warning we spoke of, and the Pens have done all that we wished for and more.

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
Sheary needs to sit. He's been bad for a stretch and was downright awful last night. Oskar coming it would be a great addition. He's a good possession player and he gives us more flexibility on line-up changes being a center. He is also someone I feel would be great for us in defensive zone starts. I also think we should keep moving guys through the line-up, specifically Malkin. If we do that, match-ups will be difficult for Cooper. The way I see it:

Kunitz/Malkin-Crosby-Horny/Rust
Hags-Bones-Kessel
Kunitz/Cullen-Malkin/Cullen-Horny/Rust/Kuhn
Thrn 4th line be any combo of Fehr/Sundqvist at center and Kuhn the opposite wing.

Of course this should all be juggled as necessary, but I see this as the direction we should head. I like Rust taking shifts with Sid not just because of the goal, but because his game is so similar to Dupius'. He is quick and good at possessing the puck, both of which are lacking on Sid's wings. Im ok with Kunitz taking shifts with Sid because I feel he has kept par these playoffs. He really needs to start finishing, but he is getting great chances, and that is not by accident. I even feel he's been good lately at moving the puck, and is actually skating and hitting.

Malkin needs to see more time on the wing so he gets out of his comfort zone. I feel like he's been too complacent and has been almost invisible for about 7 games now. Plus, his shifts with Sid were fantastic and they ended up with great looks. We need to see more of them together.

I also don't like the idea of splitting up HBK. They're just so good together, and I didn't like what I saw from them last night when they were juggled around.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I haven't been home on the days when the Pens have played.

How have they looked so far?

I get the feeling that they don't look cup-worthy, but if so, is it because of Sullivan, or because we're just outmatched?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think the media watches a different game than home-fans. When I watch St Louis, I don't focus solely on the lines/players. I just enjoy their structure and what they do. The other night I focused on Tarasenko to see why the hell their coach hates him. After focusing on him the entire game, I figured it out. I never would have noticed it if I didn't creepily watch his game and nothing else.

Kunitz will be given the x-factor by the media, but the real x-factor is Cullen. #14 didn't do **** tonight. He had a few gimmies and couldn't convert. The true x-factors that are under the radar are Fehr, Rust, Kuhn, Schultz, & Cullen.

And Lovejoy deserves a little praise and a little hate. He made a few great plays early on and some headscratching Scuderi plays, too.
What did you notice about Tarasenko?

I don't want to harp on Lovejoy. He has played well. BUT, his gaps drive me crazy. He has at least one shift per game where he backs off so far that it looks like a Sega controller malfunction. Like "here, take a free shot and I'll see if I can get you a screen."

Kunitz had to thank the team somehow for carrying his horrible play

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%208.42.31%20AM_zps9ajv1kaz.png
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Getting a lil extra iron in his diet.

I wonder if wiffle ball would fix things?
Don't forget this masterful strategy.

2013-06-05_09491.png

Even at Sully's worst, it's night and day.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sheary needs to sit. He's been bad for a stretch and was downright awful last night. Oskar coming it would be a great addition. He's a good possession player and he gives us more flexibility on line-up changes being a center. He is also someone I feel would be great for us in defensive zone starts. I also think we should keep moving guys through the line-up, specifically Malkin. If we do that, match-ups will be difficult for Cooper. The way I see it:

Honestly, I think there is no coincidence that Sheary has looked like garbage playing on a first line. He's playing against top D pairings and other teams' best forwards.

When he was given limited minutes on the fourth line, he was making depth players, well, look like depth players. He did some damage against those guys, and I think he should be put back on the fourth line to try and gain some confidence and hopefully get his game back. And if the Kuhn-Cullen-Rust line isn't going to be reuinted, all the more reason to try and get Sheary going.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Good stuff. But, a little bit of a let down too. Nothing will compare to your Tocchet tweets in the pawnage department. :laugh:

Keep in mind that I'm proud of none of this.

But Chris Nilan told me to go **** myself today :laugh:

Twice in less than two weeks he started blasting Crosby for whining and diving, I'm talking Post '05 lockout stuff. I told him that he had no idea what it was like to be targeted by the opposing team's biggest and baddest players 22 minutes a night, every night, because he sucked, and since Chris can't string a sentence together...

I'd post it, but I'm thinking of the children...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad