Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
In retrospect, the Kotkaniemi offer sheet was a huge self-own. Many Canes fans who were gloating about that situation have a lot of egg on their face now.
I think it was a self-own right off the bat, to be fair. No hindsight needed. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In retrospect, the Kotkaniemi offer sheet was a huge self-own. Many Canes fans who were gloating about that situation have a lot of egg on their face now.

Assuming that Montreal had actually drafted something worth making that whole mess over was their first mistake.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Where is everyone seeing that Necas won't resign and they are buying out KK?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction mere hours after being eliminated.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd try to sign Kotkaniemi if he'd hit free agency but trading for his $5 million long term deal, trading for that looks pretty iffy to me.

I might do Graves for Kotkaniemi though.
If he'd come in at a similar pay rate to Eller, I'd be okay trying him here.

Oddly, the buyout for him is not that bad. Basially 835K for several years and $435k for 4yrs in the middle. Still a 12yr buyout though, woof.

They should be able to attract several defensemen in the FA market but yeah, Graves for KK would be a decent swap for both sides. I'd still love to find a way to get Drury here but if Necas goes bye bye, they probably have room for him.
That said I'm sure there will be teams willing to trade a solid top 4 dman for Necas.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How was Kotkaniemi being deployed this season? I don't watch much Canes hockey because I value my eyeballs but I can't help but notice that his production took a dive from last season in which he was at least somewhat respectable for a team that is nearly as shit at generating offense as the Penguins are.

In some ways 5M for a 3ish C with some possible upside isn't AWFUL. But that term... yikes. And would dude even really be able to hack 3C on this team?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How was Kotkaniemi being deployed this season? I don't watch much Canes hockey because I value my eyeballs but I can't help but notice that his production took a dive from last season in which he was at least somewhat respectable for a team that is nearly as shit at generating offense as the Penguins are.

In some ways 5M for a 3ish C with some possible upside isn't AWFUL. But that term... yikes. And would dude even really be able to hack 3C on this team?

He's used in much more offensive friendly minutes.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd try to sign Kotkaniemi if he'd hit free agency but trading for his $5 million long term deal, trading for that looks pretty iffy to me.

I might do Graves for Kotkaniemi though.

This team isn't getting younger through trades. They are going to have to take swings and hope things pop. Kotkaniemi is one year removed for 40+ pt season. He can fit in our top six better than any other player on our roster if we have a top six C injury in Sid or Malkin. He allows us to dump a contract and save cap and in the proposal he is returning a 3rd.

The reality is Dubas isn't moving picks this summer with how few we have after losing our 1st to San Jose. So how exactly are we getting younger? You can't do that through UFA. We have no opportunity in our roster if a player isn't signed by his team due to a QO or something because our top six and even top nine is essentially filled out. We have to make a move like this if we want to get young talent with the potential to regain their game.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team isn't getting younger through trades. They are going to have to take swings and hope things pop. Kotkaniemi is one year removed for 40+ pt season. He can fit in our top six better than any other player on our roster if we have a top six C injury in Sid or Malkin. He allows us to dump a contract and save cap and in the proposal he is returning a 3rd.

They can take swings and hope things pop without trading for a guy who has 6 years and $5 million left on his deal.

If he goes the Galchenyuk or Kapanen route and becomes terrible at like age 25, they're stuck with that cap hit for an additional 3 or 4 years for a terrible player.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They can take swings and hope things pop without trading for a guy who has 6 years and $5 million left on his deal.

If he goes the Galchenyuk or Kapanen route and becomes terrible at like age 25, they're stuck with that cap hit for an additional 3 or 4 years for a terrible player.

Who cares? 3 years from now the goal is going to be to fill out the roster with terrible players.

You also could easily get a player that bounces back to a 40 pt C that you can trade in 3 or 4 years for a nice return at 27.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who cares? 3 years from now the goal is going to be to fill out the roster with terrible players.

You also could easily get a player that bounces back to a 40 pt C that you can trade in 3 or 4 years for a nice return at 27.

So the upside here is getting a 40 point 3C. The downside is that he regresses similarly to Galchenyuk and ends up a complete anchor of a contract at $5 million with 3-4 years left.

Yeah, you're not doing a good job at selling this. If you have to say "his contract won't be significant when the cap rises" or "who cares if he sucks" to make your case, it's a weak case. The upside just isn't there with him to even remotely justify the downside that could come with him.

I'd sign him to like a 3 year, $3.5 million deal or so in free agency and accept that risk, but at 6 years and $5 million, that is way too big of a contract to just brush aside the risks there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So the upside here is getting a 40 point 3C. The downside is that he regresses similarly to Galchenyuk and ends up a complete anchor of a contract at $5 million with 3-4 years left.

Yeah, you're not doing a good job at selling this. If you have to say "his contract won't be significant when the cap rises" or "who cares if he sucks" to make your case, it's a weak case. The upside just isn't there with him to even remotely justify the downside that could come with him.

I'd sign him to like a 3 year, $3.5 million deal or so in free agency and accept that risk, but at 6 years and $5 million, that is way too big of a contract to just brush aside the risks there.

I'm pretty sure Kotkaniemi doesn't have any of the issues fo Galchenyuk in regards to an overbearing father figure, mental health issues, and being an alcoholic.

Koktkaniemi just had 40 points last season. Getting a 40 point 3C for 5 million dollars is the cap environment right now.

I don't really care about the risk at all. This team is dead in the water. What's adding a bad deal to it going to do? Nothing. We already have plenty of bad deals.

Same concept as taking any of Huberdeau, PLD, etc. Who cares?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Boy, Jake really pushed them over the edge didn't he????:laugh:

I'll make the argument that Bunting was needed more by the current roster than Jake......and you throw in 4 prospects, 2 with a decent pedigree. Great job by Dubas.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if they are planning to buy him out, they should be willing to retain the same if not more on his contract, just to be getting something back. imo

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad