Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Didn't the cheap goalie experiment work really well for the Kings? Can't imagine them wanting an overpaid, inconsistent goalie like Jarry.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn't the cheap goalie experiment work really well for the Kings? Can't imagine them wanting an overpaid, inconsistent goalie like Jarry.

They got smoked in round 1 while their 2 goalies had a combined .864 save% against the Oilesr.

Really don't see how that is working "really well" for the Kings.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Can’t see that Marner trade working.

The Toronto GM would die laughing. Koivunen isn't some super red-hot prospect (maybe by lowly "Penguin standards", he is); DOC is a good, solid 3rd liner in the context of a quality team and not a #1 LW; POJ is worthless.

What the Penguins actually NEED, if we're dealing with Dubie's old buddies, is Jake McCabe.

The Pens' #1 priority this offseason, and whatever #2 on the list is ain't even close in importance, is to somehow land a real #1 LD or at least someone who can put on a decent act as one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Toronto GM would die laughing. Koivunen isn't some super red-hot prospect (maybe by lowly "Penguin standards", he is); DOC is a good, solid 3rd liner in the context of a quality team and not a #1 LW; POJ is worthless.

What the Penguins actually NEED, if we're dealing with Dubie's old buddies, is Jake McCabe.

The Pens' #1 priority this offseason, and whatever #2 on the list is ain't even close in importance, is to somehow land a real #1 LD or at least someone who can put on a decent act as one.

Jake McCabe blows.

Mario Ferraro or Sebastian Aho should satisfy what we need out of a LHD.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Edmonton buying out Campbell and then trading Skinner for Jarry isn't an unreasonable suggestion for what could happen this off-season.

You can rightfully point out Jarry's bad playoff resume, but Skinner's the 2nd worst goalie since the 1990s when it comes to playoff save% of guys who have played in 20 or more games:

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If Dubas moves Jarry, I don't think it'll be in a swap for another struggling goaltender. If he has to take back a contract in a Jarry deal - and he probably has to take something back - then I think it'll be a skater.

I really don't have a feel for what Dubas is going to do. I think they may just punt on goaltender for the summer, bring back Jarry, sign someone cheap, and home that Blomqvist shoves his way onto the roster by January.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If Dubas moves Jarry, I don't think it'll be in a swap for another struggling goaltender. If he has to take back a contract in a Jarry deal - and he probably has to take something back - then I think it'll be a skater.

I really don't have a feel for what Dubas is going to do. I think they may just punt on goaltender for the summer, bring back Jarry, sign someone cheap, and home that Blomqvist shoves his way onto the roster by January.

Bringing back Mike Sullivan and Tristan Jarry after the last two years is absolutely a way to get a top ten 1st round pick next year.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Bringing back Mike Sullivan and Tristan Jarry after the last two years is absolutely a way to get a top ten 1st round pick next year.
Setting aside Sullivan, I think there is an argument that since goaltending is so volatile in the NHL right now and that there are so few quality goaltenders available in free agency, that dealing with the devil you know in Jarry might be the least complicated route. Especially since he historically does well in October/November/December.

You focus your assets on improving the forwards/defense instead of wading into the muck.

If you think Blomqvist is really close, that could be an option. But I think that only works if you think he's ready to seize an opportunity by midseason.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well maybe not that extreme but certainly it’s a way to keep avoiding getting a playoff berth lol…I just don’t understand returning both those guys and expecting improvement…it’s basically saying we don’t care so much if we win lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I thought that was the general idea of signing Larsson. That allows the top 3 goaltenders to be (sorted alphabetically): Blomqvist, Jarry and Larsson. Sort out the exact order by performance. Gauthier then gets a promotion back to the AHL as the backup to whichever of the above ends up as the #3.

I don't expect the Pens to be moving on from Jarry just yet. I don't think Dubas feels Jarry is worthless, and I don't think the offers he might get for Jarry will have much (if anything) in the way of value in return for the Pens.

(Not saying this is the choice I would make, mind you, just what I expect the Pens to do).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Roslovic would be a nice target if we wanna push Eller down to the 4th. Good age still, really fast, righty. Probably more 3rd line but could fill in on the 2nd I think if we wanted to move Geno to wing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Setting aside Sullivan, I think there is an argument that since goaltending is so volatile in the NHL right now and that there are so few quality goaltenders available in free agency, that dealing with the devil you know in Jarry might be the least complicated route. Especially since he historically does well in October/November/December.

You focus your assets on improving the forwards/defense instead of wading into the muck.

If you think Blomqvist is really close, that could be an option. But I think that only works if you think he's ready to seize an opportunity by midseason.

Is this your logic for everything?

You can't fire Sullivan because you may hire a worse coach.

You can't replace Jarry because the position is so volatile.

Gotta stick with the team that is failing to make the playoffs and hasn't won a playoff series since Jarry became the starting goalie.

Well maybe not that extreme but certainly it’s a way to keep avoiding getting a playoff berth lol…I just don’t understand returning both those guys and expecting improvement…it’s basically saying we don’t care so much if we win lol

Well as you see above from the partisan poster. We don't want violatility in net...

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I kinda like goaltending by.. volume, so to speak.

I don’t think Blom proved beyond a doubt he’s NHL ready but he’s certainly knocking on the door. Larsson is a bit of a flyer but there may be something there. Re-sign Neds for cheap because he’s solid and the team seemed to do well playing in front of him and add some other cheap guy like Talbot or Samsonov or whoever. That’s 4 guys that you just need one to get hot and one to fill in now and then and you’re spending less for all 4 than you were paying for Jarry alone.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I kinda like goaltending by.. volume, so to speak.

I don’t think Blom proved beyond a doubt he’s NHL ready but he’s certainly knocking on the door. Larsson is a bit of a flyer but there may be something there. Re-sign Neds for cheap because he’s solid and the team seemed to do well playing in front of him and add some other cheap guy like Talbot or Samsonov or whoever. That’s 4 guys that you just need one to get hot and one to fill in now and then and you’re spending less for all 4 than you were paying for Jarry alone.

Both can be true, really.

Jarry has stunk it up for us when it mattered most - there's no reason to even sign him last year.

Can't really use the whole - need your big boys for the playoffs - if said big boys suck after the allstar break or are always hurt when you need them. Gimme the cap space.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I thought that was the general idea of signing Larsson. That allows the top 3 goaltenders to be (sorted alphabetically): Blomqvist, Jarry and Larsson. Sort out the exact order by performance. Gauthier then gets a promotion back to the AHL as the backup to whichever of the above ends up as the #3.

I don't expect the Pens to be moving on from Jarry just yet. I don't think Dubas feels Jarry is worthless, and I don't think the offers he might get for Jarry will have much (if anything) in the way of value in return for the Pens.

(Not saying this is the choice I would make, mind you, just what I expect the Pens to do).
Said it before: I'd be shocked if the Pens went into next season with only one goaltender in their org who's played an NHL game.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Holland is awful. But that team actively kills its depth. Spread out the players.

Hyman - McDavid - XXX
Kane - Drai - XXX
Foegle - RNH - XXX

That should be a great start to a top 9. Thats 6 guys who can pot 20+ goals
Then you plug in guys like Mcleod, Holloway, Perry etc.

How many coaches are they going to cycle through who just stack the top line.
McDavid is the coach, which is why Edmonton has played the same way for his entire career. Except for under Hitchcock, so they fired him

I think Edmonton buying out Campbell and then trading Skinner for Jarry isn't an unreasonable suggestion for what could happen this off-season.

You can rightfully point out Jarry's bad playoff resume, but Skinner's the 2nd worst goalie since the 1990s when it comes to playoff save% of guys who have played in 20 or more games:

Just think how bad Jarry's would be in that system

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But we'll hear "Sidney Crosby's too good to let that happen"--meanwhile this team was a hot streak away from finishing with like the 7th worst record in the NHL while Sid was playing at a level as good as anyone his age has ever played, ever. :laugh:

Reactions: Lustaf

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Look I am no fan of Jarry but giving him away just so we can have Campbell?

Is that how far some of you have sunk?
I don't know how anyone who has watched almost every "goalie tandem" team get soaked because of shit goaltending these POs and come to the conclusion that we should sell TJ off for nothing and go with two unknowns.

Toronto
LA
Carolina
Edmonton
Colorado

Outside of Vancouver who's riding their 3rd guy but also has a guy who is a legit #1, it's all #1 goalies leading the way:
Ottinger
Bob
Shesterkin

I'd much rather change the coach and see if a better system will fix the goalie problems than move our starter for magic beans and hope Sully's system doesn't screw them.

Reactions: Rakell67

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
They got smoked in round 1 while their 2 goalies had a combined .864 save% against the Oilesr.

Really don't see how that is working "really well" for the Kings.
They at least made it to the playoffs in a much tougher conference with 2 goalies that were available last summer when so many on here said the Pens HAD to anchor themselves to Jarry for way too many years because there were no other choices.

Their biggest problem was wasting so much cap on PLD.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
They at least made it to the playoffs in a much tougher conference with 2 goalies that were available last summer when so many on here said the Pens HAD to anchor themselves to Jarry for way too many years because there were no other choices.

Their biggest problem was wasting so much cap on PLD.
The Pens didn't miss the POs because of goaltending. The missed because they couldn't score.

The Pens were 14th in goals saved above expected and 21st in goals scored above expected in all situations and 30th in PP goals above expected.

Blaming the season on goaltending is just wrong and lazy.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The Pens didn't miss the POs because of goaltending. The missed because they couldn't score.

The Pens were 14th in goals saved above expected and 21st in goals scored above expected in all situations and 30th in PP goals above expected.

Blaming the season on goaltending is just wrong and lazy.
Yes, yes, we all know Jarry is the only person on the roster in the last decade that isn’t a ******* loser.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
5+ million was on the bench yet again down the stretch. It's a common theme and it's a problem.

It's not goaltending's fault that they missed. Heck Ned was like reason #2 they were even in the spot they were in. But I feel like I've seen enough of Tristan Jarry. The team seems to agree with me, largely. That's also kind of a problem... even they don't trust him much these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad