Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
25 year old 50-60 pt center / wing with size over a 3rd pairing D or a shitty goalie who got outplayed by a guy paid a mil?

Think it's pretty obvious lol.

He put up 40 points in 82 games last year, after whining his way onto his 3rd team, and proceeded to get demoted to a 4th line role due to how disinterested he was playing on the Kings. Oh yeah, he also makes $8.5 million a year for the next 7 years.

Why would we want anyone signed for that long and that much money who's already getting criticisms like this halfway through the first year of his contract?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He put up 40 points in 82 games last year, after whining his way onto his 3rd team, and proceeded to get demoted to a 4th line role due to how disinterested he was playing on the Kings. Oh yeah, he also makes $8.5 million a year for the next 7 years.

Who cares? He's 25. A center and has shown he works in a top six role.

LA's been playing him with Alex Laferriere for most of his minutes. I'm not sure what they expect.

We get out of a 4.5 or 5.5 million dollar deal for the next 4-5 years and get a young player who has had one bad year on a team that has been an absolute disaster this year.

I'd much rather take a 8.5 million dollar risk on Dubois bouncing back at 25 with his career path over Graves or Jarry bouncing back at 4.5 or 5.5 at their age with their career path.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

LA's been playing him with Alex Laferriere for most of his minutes. I'm not sure what they expect.

We get out of a 4.5 or 5.5 million dollar deal for the next 4-5 years and get a young player who has had one bad year on a team that has been an absolute disaster this year.

"Who cares if he is a diva that has shown major issues with effort, he's young for the Penguins standards!"

I'd rather play Jarry 60 games a year and play Graves 24 minutes a night than trade the two for that baby.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
"Who cares if he is a diva that has shown major issues with effort, he's young for the Penguins standards!"

I'd rather play Jarry 60 games a year and play Graves 24 minutes a night than trade the two for that baby.

Neat.

If Dubas wants to get this team younger he needs to take risks given our assets. Getting a player like what Dubois could potentially be is worth the risk. If he is terrible, he's an anchor that makes our tank easier just like EK65.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Neat.

If Dubas wants to get this team younger he needs to take risks given our assets. Getting a player like what Dubois could potentially be is worth the risk. If he is terrible, he's an anchor that makes our tank easier just like EK65.
I’m sure Dubois and Sullivan would get along great lol. Dubois would request another trade after the first practice hahaha

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
1714589191104.png

1714589259756.png

Hard to get better going into next year over this.

Attachments

• 1714589206811.png
    1714589206811.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1714589224042.png
    1714589224042.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 2

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is this directed at me? Not sure how we get younger this summer than adding Ferraro and PLD in our 3C and 2LHD holes.
Adding contracts where the player will "never" meet it's full worth isn't exactly prudent. They already have one of those lofty cap hits where they'll never see it in full worth in Karlsson's 10.0 speaking to production to cap allowance. You want to add a 8.5 x 7 and then plop him in the 3c role where he'll never have a chance to fulfill his upside.

It's holding a team back from moving forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Adding contracts where the player will "never" meet it's full worth isn't exactly prudent. They already have one of those lofty cap hits where they'll never see it in full worth in Karlsson's 10.0 speaking to production to cap allowance. You want to add a 8.5 x 7 and then plop him in the 3c role where he'll never have a chance to fulfill his upside.

It's holding a team back from moving forward.

Yeah, let's keep Graves or Jarry then.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if the Devils would consider moving their pick for Jarry (assuming they don't win the lottery obviously).

I don't think they'd do it straight up, but if the Pens added something or ate part of the salary maybe there's a deal there.

I guess the Pens might be opposed to improving a division rival but it'd be nice to fetch another mid round first and offload Jarry/re-sign Ned.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No way this team falls bass ackwards into two straight off-seasons with a "trade us your good player for our trash" deal, right?

Karlsson may have not lived to expectations but that trade is still good work by Dubas.

I'd much rather take a 8.5 million dollar risk on Dubois bouncing back at 25 with his career path over Graves or Jarry bouncing back at 4.5 or 5.5 at their age with their career path.

honestly if they saw Jarry as a solution to goaltending. We sign Ned to a 2 or 3 year deal in that 3 million dollar range.

Throw in accairi or Graves maybe.

I'd be open to the risk.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
PLD is the exact opposite of the player this team needs.

The best trade we could make with LA, IMGO, is centered around Carl Grunstrom. He would be my ideal LA target as our 3LW.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes. Why move a bad contract for a historically 20+ goal 60 pt player when we can acquire a 26 year old who has never broke 20 pts to play next to Lars Eller or Noel Acciari…
Because:
1. We don't need a $8mil+ anchor contract at this moment.
2. We don't need a minimal effort player on the roster, especially at 3C.
3. We do need a solid, physical wing to help reshape the bottom 6.
4. We don't need to do more Karlsson-esque trades to retool.

Go ask Kings fans who they would rather trade at the moment...

Smith or Jarry for Grundstrom+3rd would be a nice trade to start the summer.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Grundstrom-Ponomarov-Yager
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-Shea-JSI

Neds/Blomqvist

Would be a nice base to work off of and it would also leave plenty of cap space to sign a better 3C or 3RW.

PLD? Lol, no.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad