Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I hope he gets re-signed…I thought he was pretty decent for his first season, certainly better than any young forward we’ve had for awhile…and I’d trust that more if Sullivan wasn’t back and if he hadn’t dicked him around for much of the season lol
Agreed. He might get caught in a numbers game next season as well though. He needs to produce. Pure and simple.
Read this earlier this morning from DK site. Jake Guentzel just sold his house to Bryan Rust. Not something one would do if there were designs on some imminent return.
Also, some canes fans are saying Jake is shopping for a new home in Raleigh.
That's not a good sign :laugh:

Maybe he wants to buy a bigger house with the new 8x8 he'll get from us!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Heard Dubas today, talking about how hard everyone works there. Great Kyle, good to hear ppl at work are actually working. Did you buy them all flowers to show them your appreciation?

He’s a light beer version of your boy Koivunen.
But at least Koivunen made a big jump in production from 19 to 20, so much so that he did something in his league that hasn't been done in 30 years. That's at least something.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Heard Dubas today, talking about how hard everyone works there. Great Kyle, good to hear ppl at work are actually working. Did you buy them all flowers to show them your appreciation?

But at least Koivunen made a big jump in production from 19 to 20, so much so that he did something in his league that hasn't been done in 30 years. That's at least something.

similar to your excitement about Yager. The hype is not strong amongst any respectable prospect people for either.

Hope you are right on both accounts, but they just seem like stretches in terms of impact players.

I have way more faith in Yager, but I think at best he is Jared McCann. Koivunen from the highlights is a player that is going to get absolutely worked once he enters AHL skating not to even mention NHL skating.

You saw that with Puustinen this year. Dude barely can get his shot off in this league.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
similar to your excitement about Yager. The hype is not strong amongst any respectable prospect people for either.

Hope you are right on both accounts, but they just seem like stretches in terms of impact players.

I have way more faith in Yager, but I think at best he is Jared McCann. Koivunen from the highlights is a player that is going to get absolutely worked once he enters AHL skating not to even mention NHL skating.

You saw that with Puustinen this year. Dude barely can get his shot off in this league.
Yager and Koivunen are our top two prospects, but they are 19-20, they have plenty of time to develop and mature. That said I'd expect both to be on the team in 25-26.

Yager was 2hd in the WJC in scoring for team Canada and he received plenty of praise from prospect gurus. He's killing it in the WHL playoffs, his release is sensational!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean he has 20 pts in 52 games.
Yes but there also weren't many others knocking at the door to get the call up either. To an extent, they were kind stuck with him. Which was fine being that he produced very well when he first got here. What I'm saying is that if there are only 1-2 slots and he's part of the group whose name isn't written in stone, he will have to keep up a certain level of production in order to stay. He's not great defensively, he doesn't PK, no PP...outside of being an effective bottom 6 RW, he doesn't have a lot of extra going for him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes but there also weren't many others knocking at the door to get the call up either. To an extent, they were kind stuck with him. Which was fine being that he produced very well when he first got here. What I'm saying is that if there are only 1-2 slots and he's part of the group whose name isn't written in stone, he will have to keep up a certain level of production in order to stay. He's not great defensively, he doesn't PK, no PP...outside of being an effective bottom 6 RW, he doesn't have a lot of extra going for him.
He's not bad, but he's nothing that moves the needle. I think he needs to either be top six or not at all. Playing with a defensive minded center like Eller really didn't make much sense to me. He'd be ok as a complimentary third wheel in the top six on a team with two guys on the line that dwarf him regarding skill, talent and ability. He likely won't find that here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dustin Jeffrey was viewed as an amazing guy and he had 33 in 100.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Read this earlier this morning from DK site. Jake Guentzel just sold his house to Bryan Rust. Not something one would do if there were designs on some imminent return.
Also, some canes fans are saying Jake is shopping for a new home in Raleigh.
Thank god - we shouldn't be the suckers to sign him to that super long, super expensive contract. Might be the first thing to go right for us this offseason.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they can just both free themselves from the shackles that are Evgeni Malkin and his franchise-killing aura perhaps they could succeed?

So, after Dubas’ take regarding Smith being brought down by Malkin, I went to look at the numbers and Dubas is out to lunch there lol

Malkin-Smith played 594 5on5 minutes and had 21 GF, 20 GA for a 52% Corsi…clearly remembering Geno setting up Smith for numerous chances that he flubbed, but whatever…

Malkin without Smith played 563 5v5 minutes and his Corsi was higher and had 36 GF/ 28 GA…

Sure Malkin has lost has a step, but wtf, Dubas…at least don’t lie

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I didn't really like what I heard from Dubas, but at the same time, what he says right now doesn't really mean a whole lot. In the end, actions will speak louder than words.

I'm not confident that things will go the way I'd like this summer, but I am at least willing to wait and see. I'm hoping to see some movement at the draft, and I'm hoping we don't see a bunch of bottom six vets signed during free agency. I'm not really expecting anything else to happen until then.

To be honest, unless something actually happens between now and then, I may just take a break from these forums until June. In the meantime, I'll predict the general conversations that will be had between now and then:
1. Sullivan is terrible
2. Why didn't they fire any of the coaches?!
3. When is Dubas going to do something?!
4. Proposals of various trades and signings to make that will end up bearing no resemblance to what the team actually does in the offseason
:sarcasm:

(Who am I kidding, I'll still be dropping in regularly :laugh: )

Reactions: Andy99 and Sideline

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Thank god - we shouldn't be the suckers to sign him to that super long, super expensive contract. Might be the first thing to go right for us this offseason.
I think the Canes will do whatever to re-sign Jake, but it's going to be a long term deal. Also, one of the teams he may have interest in is the Wild.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I don't want him back after the way the rest of the season played out. I hate when duos get married forever and Sid will always have that annoying pull.
Well players like Jake fall out of coconut trees everyday so the Pens should have no trouble finding an elite LW to play with Crosby.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Well players like Jake fall out of coconut trees everyday so the Pens should have no trouble finding an elite LW to play with Crosby.
Elite, though? Not sure Jake was ever that. Elite is like top ten, game breaker... He that?

It'll be difficult... But i don't know if a player in the mold of JG is what we need

We need a higher finishing skill Rust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad