Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I definitely don’t but it sure looks like it’s going to happen. However, I’d love for the league to split into 2 for promotion/relegation….😁

I... actually don't know how much I'd hate that.

Regardless I just don't think this league has the kinda popularity to be this big. Smells like a big money grab by owners. That fat expansion fee is too much for them to resist.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
smith has to go, he's a big nothing burger out there. at least at that price.
could he have a bounce back? probably/maybe? but we need more bunting type of players.
we really need another DoC. younger, faster heavily invested kind of players.

I do miss guentz but... I'll just say if I *have* to pick between bunting+prospects at less then half of what jake is gonna get paid this summer. It's a no brainer, bunting had more impact on our lineup then jake did this year, very much in the vein of Neal for Hornqvist kinda trade.

So I would try hard to trade Smith in the off season for a younger player with speed that we can plug on the the 3rd line.

Rakell is the other one, ever since he got his melon scrambled in the playoffs against the rangers he hasn't been the same to me. No idea if that's related or not. Just saying he's not quite as bad as Smith but he's not performing at top 6 level's here.

Hard to move both Rakell and Smith but at least one has to go and my vote is Smith.

Jarry, i sincerly hope that we can find a sucker to take him. People have to realize it's not just his stats. He has lost the room. Ned is a journeyman goalie, his stats reflect that, but he never gives up. He doesn't make excuses and owns his mistakes. THAT is why he played down the stretch, an imperfect goalie with that kind of attitude inspires his team mates to play for him. Yes this is true even in professional sports.

Jarry blames others, blames injuries. Pretty much blames everyone but his lack of focus and the fact that he just sucks in big moments. You do not endear yourselves to your teammates when they *know* you screwed the play up and you're over there telling the press you had a shitty season due to injuries (last season), but yet not so injuried that the medical staff or coaches thought it was an issue, friggin man up and own it. He is a mental midget that needs to play for someone else.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
13 goals isn't great though for a guy that's usually hovering around 20-25 goals. And man, we really could have used like 7 more goals in those tight situations to get us over the hump.

I have just been terribly unimpressed by his play anyway, so I'd probably just roll the dice on a similar change-of-scenery guy with a more physical skillset, similar to Bunting.

And the dude has been an absolute floater. He does not look engaged at all. You have to ship those malcontents out ASAP

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Random thought... with Crosby still looking totally Crosby without Jake and Jake scoring nearly as many points as Jordan Staal for Carolina in like 60 less games or whatever... boy... one can't help but think what a rebalanced top six on the Penguins all those years with Jake on L2 with Malkin would have looked like. Oh well! We were told to shut up and stop being such fanboys and I'm sure that's the only reason anyone wanted to see it. And not at all because it would have made the Penguins a much, much better team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t get this. Who are these terrible pieces left over from Hextall? Rakell and Carter?
Granlund, Petry, Rutta, Casey Desmith, and yeah a full NMC for the corpse of Carter.

Also a lack of any viable bottom 6 player after he traded McCann for a 7th, lost Tanev, didn't keep ERod, waived and lost Kapanen, and traded away two viable young top 4 dmen in Matheson and Marino. But, to his credit I guess, he was able to send out an other major blunder in Brock McGinn. It only took a third and getting the corpse of Kulikov back to fix it. The only thing he gets a nod for is Rakell.

You would have really thought that Hextall was intentionally sabotaging the Penguins roster being a Philly guy.

Reactions: Lustaf

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, it sounded like Dubas was looking to trade Smith at the TDL but didn’t want to retain. So if he’s trying to move him again, why bury him?

That’s how I took that quote at least.

Since Dubas is getting credit for what he almost did, can you believe the JT Miller trade!?

Vegas and the Sharks figured out a Hertl trade. Dubas just sucks.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Problem is he should have known that from his prior play. Wasn’t like he’d ever been physical or played to his size. Avs and Devils fans said as much. I was more bullish last summer and didn’t expect any physicality.

I didn't expect him to be physical, but I expected him to have a hockey IQ above a Squirt level player.
My bad for such expectations.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Random thought... with Crosby still looking totally Crosby without Jake and Jake scoring nearly as many points as Jordan Staal for Carolina in like 60 less games or whatever... boy... one can't help but think what a rebalanced top six on the Penguins all those years with Jake on L2 with Malkin would have looked like. Oh well! We were told to shut up and stop being such fanboys and I'm sure that's the only reason anyone wanted to see it. And not at all because it would have made the Penguins a much, much better team.
I would not balk for one second at exploring bringing Jake back. My only problem there is Bunting because I want him with Malkin. But if he could play the right side, we could really have a decent top 9

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Bunting
Puust/Smith-Eller-Rakell

That 3LW slot being open for whoever as they probably have to trade Smith to accommodate Jake.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I said as much during the Covid year when Sid was out for a long time. Jake-Rust-Geno were killing it.
When Sid got back, he got his same linemates and when I questioned that I had posters who were like "This is the Pittsburgh Penguins, not the Pittsburgh Malkins"

Boy they sure showed me!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I would not balk for one second at exploring bringing Jake back. My only problem there is Bunting because I want him with Malkin. But if he could play the right side, we could really have a decent top 9

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Bunting
Puust/Smith-Eller-Rakell

That 3LW slot being open for whoever as they probably have to trade Smith to accommodate Jake.

It's cute that you'd ever think that Jake and Sid would be apart...

• Haha
Reactions: SEALBound

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let’s hope he’s as good next season when he fully imbibes the Sullivan way because right now he’s getting a ton of props lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

We're just playing the victim here, though. It's all in our heads. We need to be fans of the logo not the player, Andy. The team never ACTUALLY goes after Malkin and if they do he deserves it! We have always been at war with Eastasia.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Bunting
Puust/Smith-Eller-Rakell

What would be the point? We know exactly what would happen and it isn't even close to what you have, here.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Let’s hope he’s as good next season when he fully imbibes the Sullivan way because right now he’s getting a ton of props lol

It's super weird that shots taken CLOSER to the net have a higher probability of going in that shots taken FURTHER from the net.

I feel like I should work for NASA

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And that shots taken further out are more likely to go in if you have a teammate standing in front of the goalie rather than sightlines cleaner than a Nebraska corn field.

I like how the Penguins were SO close to actually standing in front of the net all season if they just would have scooted over like three feet. WTF was this team doing with that shit?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Granlund, Petry, Rutta, Casey Desmith, and yeah a full NMC for the corpse of Carter.

Also a lack of any viable bottom 6 player after he traded McCann for a 7th, lost Tanev, didn't keep ERod, waived and lost Kapanen, and traded away two viable young top 4 dmen in Matheson and Marino. But, to his credit I guess, he was able to send out an other major blunder in Brock McGinn. It only took a third and getting the course of Kulikov back to fix it. The only thing he gets a nod for is Rakell.

You would have really thought that Hextall was intentionally sabotaging the Penguins roster being a Philly guy.

How did any of this affect the team this year? All those contracts were moved out in one deal.

Wasn’t that your boy Hextall that tried to trade for Miller?

Yes that was my point.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Is pining for Hextall, of all Flyer douchebags, some kind of new anti-Dubas argument?
Is it all the "home runs" Ron & Burkie hit while here?
home-run-king-facebook.jpg

Craig Patrick is still around, maybe we should give him a call?
After all, the GM position is technically still open for hire, or is Spezza 1st in line for it?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol I'm pretty sure CP is actually employed by the Penguins already isn't he?

Maybe they let him go at some point but he was a pro scout here as of 2018.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Is pining for Hextall, of all Flyer douchebags, some kind of new anti-Dubas argument?
Is it all the "home runs" Ron & Burkie hit while here?
home-run-king-facebook.jpg

Craig Patrick is still around, maybe we should give him a call?
After all, the GM position is technically still open for hire, or is Spezza 1st in line for it?

Nah we just blame Hextall for everything cos Dubas is cute and wears glasses.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowski

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Now smith at 5 million AAV is problematic even if he has better number during the surge. I move him period. Maybe retain a million but with DOC who hopefully upgrades in the off season S&C program and Bunting on 2nd line LW, Dubas has to fill the 3rd line LW. So my add is Trenin from Colorade vis Nashville, Bigger stronger forward who bring some scoring but grit and size to that line. Dubas think Acciari was not utilized as well as he thinks he is a third line guy. He does have some modest scoring ability and plays with some bang.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
Trenin Eller Acciari
Gruden Poulin Jesse P
Ponomarev as 13th winger/center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad