Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hell, he didn't even immediately fire the guy in charge of the 2nd worst power play in the league.

Be patient. The GM who has won one playoff series, is universally ridiculed for overpaying in trades and UFA and has unwavering loyalty to bad management members is going to figure it out in year 7.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas isn't a fire breather here. But he plays his cards closer than it appears. Jake was a luxury on the Titanic. Dubas had to deal with some really poor contracts. He moved Petry, Granlund, added a vet LW Smith who didn't work out but the cost of a third was not a killer. He has to move him at the draft. Graves was a track record signing but he needs to play much better, My hope is he will, Bunting plays with the kind of grit that helps. Acciari is a grinder with some scoring touch. Injuries just limited him but see what he brings next year to the bottom 6, In short, move out Smith, younger guys like DOC, ST Ivany, and who comes up from the WB crowd who knows. Jarry has next year to het er done. But an improved D helps that. Pens are older in 4 guys but they have far more flexibility and options going into this year.

Reactions: Dominance

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dubas' comments on Nedjelkovic and Blomqvist kinda gave me the impression that Dubas didn't plan on bringing back Nedjelkovic. The comments for Nedjelkovic were really "it was so good for him to be able to show what he can do", which seems more like a "he'll go get paid elsewhere" comment than "I'm going to keep him". Beyond that, they were speaking really highly of Blomqvist as well.

If they go back with Jarry and Blomqvist next year, I would really hope that they'd use them as a platoon setup rather than Jarry as the starter and Blomqvist as the backup. I think Jarry being overused early in the season is definitely a factor for why he breaks down later in the year, they should plan on using Jarry less earlier in the year to try to keep him fresher for later in the year.

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
For those that being “patient” with Dubas. Like what exactly is he going to do to instill faith in you?
Just to be clear this is not directed to me as I have completely lost faith in him but…I still like the EK move. With a different coach I think he could be closer to 70-80 point guy. I also thought Ned was a good grab and had been a fan of his for sometime.

The rest of it pretty much garbage.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For those that being “patient” with Dubas. Like what exactly is he going to do to instill faith in you?
To start, the mere fact that he isn't Ron Hextall who "has a plan in his head but is unable to articulate that on paper".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
To start, the mere fact that he isn't Ron Hextall who "has a plan in his head but is unable to articulate that on paper".

His team just finished worse than Hextall’s ever did.

So your faith is instilled in Dubas because he is not Hextall. Yikes!

Dubas isn't a fire breather here. But he plays his cards closer than it appears. Jake was a luxury on the Titanic. Dubas had to deal with some really poor contracts. He moved Petry, Granlund, added a vet LW Smith who didn't work out but the cost of a third was not a killer. He has to move him at the draft. Graves was a track record signing but he needs to play much better, My hope is he will, Bunting plays with the kind of grit that helps. Acciari is a grinder with some scoring touch. Injuries just limited him but see what he brings next year to the bottom 6, In short, move out Smith, younger guys like DOC, ST Ivany, and who comes up from the WB crowd who knows. Jarry has next year to het er done. But an improved D helps that. Pens are older in 4 guys but they have far more flexibility and options going into this year.

It’s interesting to me that Hextall gets crucified for having a plan in his head, but not a peep about how Dubas “needs to get us younger” after he spent 20+ mil on 28+ year olds last season.

I loved the EK trade and I was very bullish about Acciari, too. Neutral to not-so-happy about the rest.

I guess at least my instincts are HALF right.

The EK trade was fine. But it’s like giving Shero credit for Iginla. EK forced his hand.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dubas' comments on Nedjelkovic and Blomqvist kinda gave me the impression that Dubas didn't plan on bringing back Nedjelkovic. The comments for Nedjelkovic were really "it was so good for him to be able to show what he can do", which seems more like a "he'll go get paid elsewhere" comment than "I'm going to keep him". Beyond that, they were speaking really highly of Blomqvist as well.

If they go back with Jarry and Blomqvist next year, I would really hope that they'd use them as a platoon setup rather than Jarry as the starter and Blomqvist as the backup. I think Jarry being overused early in the season is definitely a factor for why he breaks down later in the year, they should plan on using Jarry less earlier in the year to try to keep him fresher for later in the year.
If they're not gonna move Jarry they pretty much can't afford to bring Ned back so it makes sense. I imagine Ned could command in the range of $3million on a multiyear deal in FA and we can't afford that without moving on from Jarry.

I absolutely hate the thought of running it back next year with Jarry. I don't think I've ever disliked a Penguins goalie more. Not even Maf when he was blowing playoff series after playoff series.

But maybe he can get his head on straight and win me over. Doubt it though!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eller signing was spot on

Turned out better than expected. But in predictable fashion he was way overused by the coach and I predict everyone will hate his guts by this time next year. Also if a big feather in your cap is a depth forward signing for right at or above market value for multiple years... I dunno... not that impress.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Turned out better than expected. But in predictable fashion he was way overused by the coach and I predict everyone will hate his guts by this time next year. Also if a big feather in your cap is a depth forward signing for right at or above market value for multiple years... I dunno... not that impress.

Kyle Dubas signed a 34 year old for 2+ mil , term and he scored 31 points. Come on man, how can you not have faith!

Plus, we are taking the Rangers / Kings path while keeping him instead of dealing him for assets.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Plus, we are taking the Rangers / Kings path while keeping him instead of dealing him for assets.
I love citing the Rangers as an example of what to emulate as well when they won the lottery (but f***ed it up with Laf/KK) and then fell assbackwards into Artemi Panarin because free agents just want to play in New York.

What premiere FA has ever wanted to play in Pittsburgh?

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pretty candid on Graves

It's good to hear Dubas commenting on Graves not playing as physically as he should and that's something they want to address with him. He is obviously flawed, but I think the biggest issue I had with him is that he has the size to be a dominant physical presence but he plays so much smaller than that.

I think Graves is in that same group of low IQ defensemen like Phaneuf, so there will obviously be issues with him at times. But proper usage and coaching should be able to yield an effective defenseman, even if it's more of a #4/5 type of PKing defenseman. Pair him with St. Ivany on the 3rd pair and I'm content going into next year with that 3rd pair.

All of this makes me wonder about POJ, though. He did play with Letang down the stretch and did a fine job with it, but I don't really see a spot that I like him in with this team. I don't want him playing with Letang next year and I imagine he may be too expensive to re-sign as a #7 defenseman. At the same time, I kinda think Ludvig sucks so maybe POJ as the #7 does make some sense.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm not saying this to defend Jarry, but it's fascinating to me that people on here argue that this team is both awful defensively while Jarry is also a terrible goalie, and then also argue that goalies with worse or equal stats are better than Jarry. There's just no logical consistency there beyond saying "everything about this team sucks".

I guess it's not just Penguins fans here, a lot of NHL fans in general have really over the top criticism of Jarry that doesn't make sense statistically. If the Penguins sucked defensively like most people say and Jarry was as bad as most fans say, he wouldn't be putting up league average numbers or better. If you have a bad goalie on a team who's bad defensively, wouldn't you expect that goalie to put up horrendous numbers?

I think the case for moving Jarry is a "change of scenery" situation as the team seems to not have confidence in him. Which is frighteningly hilarious considering they should have felt the same way at this exact point LAST year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad