Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Pens didn't renew the contracts of Recchi, Martin, and Gonchar after the end of the 2019-2020 season. That season ended late because of COVID and the COVID playoff bubble.

The Pens played their last game on August 7.

Those guys were not let go until August 12.

A similar timeline for any assistant coaching changes would put us in early next week.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Also, Kyle admiring the LA Kings and Rangers rebuilds who have combined for a total of three playoff wins since we won our last cup is certainly a good window into how stupid this dude is.

It's wild people think Dubas is a smart GM. This guy is a total fraud.
He sounds no different to me than any (North) American politician. Couldn't make it more than 5 mins of his presser

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"be patient".

i seem to remember another GM who recently got murdered for this exact approach. hm. guess if you are young, good looking and wear glasses you are a genius.
Problem for Hextall was, not only was he bad at building competitive teams, he was bad at rebuilding the prospect pool. Combine that will Petry, Granlund, Ty Smith, and the ED debacle...not sure "not being patient" was Hextall's issue. Could just be that he was the worst GM the team had had in decades.
Also, Kyle admiring the LA Kings and Rangers rebuilds who have combined for a total of three playoff wins since we won our last cup is certainly a good window into how stupid this dude is.

It's wild people think Dubas is a smart GM. This guy is a total fraud.
They've made the playoffs the last two years, something Hextall took from the current team. The Rangers just won the President's Trophy. Where would you rather be? Still cleaning up Hextall's mess or in the playoffs as the #1 team?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Not that originally wanted or advocated for Dubas, I’ve always given him the benefit of doubt with ownership’s demand to try to compete. That being said, he did come across as feckless in that conference.

Trading Guentzel at the deadline makes it clear of what the direction this team heading.

He doesn’t have any of the characteristics or qualities that you would want in a president of player operations. He is far too indecisive and lacks leadership attributes to be in that role.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Problem for Hextall was, not only was he bad at building competitive teams, he was bad at rebuilding the prospect pool. Combine that will Petry, Granlund, Ty Smith, and the ED debacle...not sure "not being patient" was Hextall's issue. Could just be that he was the worst GM the team had had in decades.

False. Dubas will prove that is him.

They've made the playoffs the last two years, something Hextall took from the current team. The Rangers just won the President's Trophy. Where would you rather be? Still cleaning up Hextall's mess or in the playoffs as the #1 team?

False. I'd rather Hextall was still our GM if we were going to play this half in half out game, he understood it much better than Dubas. We'd be picking 12th again and Hextall probably gets huge value back for Jake Guentzel given his trade resume.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Here's a question

If tanger needed surgery... Why didn't they just do it last year? We weren't doing very good. And EK would have just been the solo letang on the team...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Here's a question

If tanger needed surgery... Why didn't they just do it last year? We weren't doing very good. And EK would have just been the solo letang on the team...
Speaking from experience, even routine surgery is still surgery and carries risks. If he's dealing with something more complex, surgery is likely a last resort.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
"be patient".

i seem to remember another GM who recently got murdered for this exact approach. hm. guess if you are young, good looking and wear glasses you are a genius.

I remember 8 or so posters that were telling us how good this team is ...

"if you look at xG512 stat...this team is going to be awesome"

The best part of of keeping Sully (and by keeping Sully... Dubas cements himself as a dumbass) is I can spend all my time at Golf and laugh at the scores.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I really, really wanted to be positive about Dubas but he's been coming across as kind of a dunce for this entire season. That presser was borderline insulting. It made me wish I was working like I should be doing right now. Go hire a real GM, please.
I'll just issue this as a reminder...

After the start of free agency last year, Dubas openly spoke about how important Jeff Petry was to the team.

A month later, Dubas dumped Petry on Montreal in the Karlsson trade.

Reactions: Turin and Sideline

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll just issue this as a reminder...

After the start of free agency last year, Dubas openly spoke about how important Jeff Petry was to the team.

Fair enough. I'll issue this to you as a reminder... this team has let you down every step of the way this season sans like one month with moronic, backwards, wrong-headed, head-in-sand ACTIONS or lack thereof. Maybe they just are who they are telling us they are -- idiots.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I remember 8 or so posters that were telling us how good this team is ...

"if you look at xG512 stat...this team is going to be awesome"

The best part of of keeping Sully (and by keeping Sully... Dubas cements himself as a dumbass) is I can spend all my time at Golf and laugh at the scores.
Dubas literally said in the presser today that he doesn't buy into expected goals, at least for the power play. It's all about execution for him.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You can’t take anything at 100% face value when it comes to people’s jobs. Everybody is great to the public until they aren’t, that’s how it has to be. You can’t throw current employees under the bus or publicly cast doubt on their jobs while they’re still under your employ. I’m not saying I think anybody will be let go one way or another, I don’t know. I’m just saying anything besides a glowing endorsement means nothing.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Fair enough. I'll issue this to you as a reminder... this team has let you down every step of the way this season sans like one month with moronic, backwards, wrong-headed, head-in-sand ACTIONS or lack thereof. Maybe they just are who they are telling us they are -- idiots.
I'm just at the point where I'd prefer to let those actions speak more than anything anyone says to the media.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Reminds me a bit of Paul Martin here. First year was complete garbage, settled in after that.
I'd rather he follow the Zbyněk Michálek path and ask to GTFO.
Would be understandable after the GM that signed you made it public that he wants you to train hard to be a professional.
It's not a coincidence the team went on their miracle run once he was out.

Nice guy? I don’t give a s**t. Good father? F**k you. Go home and play with your kids!

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

Yeah, people care way too much about what GMs say in interviews. Almost everything they say is just meaningless corpo speak that says nothing whatsoever about their true intentions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad