Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah and I agree, and I'm explicitly not saying this as a defense of Jarry.

I think this all goes back to what I was posting a day or two ago about how awful goaltending is in the NHL right now. Everything said in here about Jarry could be 100% true, but he's still an average or better goalie because so many teams have worse goalies than him.
I want to see how he would perform with a lighter load to start. Remains to be seen if we ever see that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I just don't like Jarry. I don't like his personality. I hate how he never takes responsibility for bad goals against. I hate how he stares daggers at his teammates after he gives up goals.

Guy sucks and he's a bad teammate.

Ned meanwhile apologizes for any goals he gives up and the guy busts his ass in net and his teammates love him.

f*** Jarry.

How's that for emotional? I don't like him and I don't want him on the team. Idgaf what the stats say

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I just don't like Jarry. I don't like his personality. I hate how he never takes responsibility for bad goals against. I hate how he stares daggers at his teammates after he gives up goals.

Guy sucks and he's a bad teammate.

Ned meanwhile apologizes for any goals he gives up and the guy busts his ass in net and his teammates love him.

f*** Jarry.

How's that for emotional? I don't like him and I don't want him on the team. Idgaf what the stats say
Agreed. He sucks.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It's funny that people on here are arguing how important those lost points earlier in the year were for the Penguins missing the playoffs, with mentioning their collapses in like October-January as major lost opportunities, but also Jarry playing well before the all-star break doesn't matter.

I don't know why I'm trying to bring logic into an emotional discussion about Jarry, especially when I don't even like Jarry at this point. Just something I find interesting.

You admit he's got a trash playoff reputation and falters down the stretch - then seemingly don't understand why so many of us hate him in net? Nobody (well, clearly not nobody....) here gives a flying F if we have a .915 goalie if they suck down the stretch and into the playoffs. That's pointless. I don't know why you're failing to grasp that considering it was talked about for 40 pages on his signing day then all damn season long. The dude shows up when games don't matter then either gets "hurt" when they do, plays like trash, or both.

If you need a direct player example - he's an even worse version of MAF here. At least MAF stole a game every blue moon (Jarry, still, has never stolen a game at the NHL level) and was quite good on breakaways - but when things mattered most he would falter or try to do too much. Murray could have had worse stats than him but what he brought was CONSISTENCY in net. Players like that stuff (Letang literally just quoted Ned's consistency 3 hours ago). That's why Murray won the net back then and why Ned won the net down the stretch regardless of stats.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It's funny that people on here are arguing how important those lost points earlier in the year were for the Penguins missing the playoffs, with mentioning their collapses in like October-January as major lost opportunities, but also Jarry playing well before the all-star break doesn't matter.

I don't know why I'm trying to bring logic into an emotional discussion about Jarry, especially when I don't even like Jarry at this point. Just something I find interesting.
Tristan Jarry is a trash goalie who lost his job to an, at best, very average goalie in Ned.

Jarry also stares down his teammates after every goal he lets in. That can’t sit well with them and could explain why the team turned a corner once Jarry was on the bench where he belongs.

Call it emotional, but it’s also a fact that Jarry plays worse as the games get more important.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Tristan Jarry is a trash goalie who lost his job to an, at best, very average goalie in Ned.

Jarry also stares down his teammates after every goal he lets in. That can’t sit well with them and could explain why the team turned a corner once Jarry was on the bench where he belongs.

Call it emotional, but it’s also a fact that Jarry plays worse as the games get more important.

After the Malkin stare-down I started paying more attention to this, and for the most part you're right and it's complete insanity. What an asshole.

Who is Tristan Jarry to do that? Dude's a loser who's made PLENTY of boneheaded moves himself. His were self inflicted and the stare-downs to his teammates usually come from pucks deflected of skates or just a stop HE should have made in the first place.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
After the Malkin stare-down I started paying more attention to this, and for the most part you're right and it's complete insanity. What an asshole.

Who is Tristan Jarry to do that? Dude's a loser who's made PLENTY of boneheaded moves himself. His were self inflicted and the stare-downs to his teammates usually come from pucks deflected of skates or just a stop HE should have made in the first place.

I think the dumbass contract this team handed him inflated his head a bit and he thinks he's the guy, now. Maybe he just isn't very smart? Especially considering he very well might be thinking he's the dude while two league journeymen have largely matched his play for several years, now in CDS and Ned.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the dumbass contract this team handed him inflated his head a bit and he thinks he's the guy, now. Maybe he just isn't very smart? Especially considering he very well might be thinking he's the dude while two league journeymen have largely matched his play for several years, now in CDS and Ned.

Nah he’s been that way for years.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Markstrom isn't better than Jarry so I don't really understand trading for Markstrom in any way.

Either you keep Jarry and have Jarry-Blomqvist as a platoon or you trade Jarry for a cheaper platoon goalie and run with Nedjelkovic-platoon goalie.
Does Markstrom wilt when there's even a modicum of importance to the game?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I guess what else is he going to say.

But yeah... hilarious. Great year, champ. And you scored a goal! Wowee Zowee!

Reactions: ncm7772

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Jarry isn't a horrible goalie stat-wise, but he clearly lacks a certain "killer instinct." He is worse in big games and his overall performance degrades as the season progresses. At this point he's given the Pens no particular reason (other than his contract) to trust him over any other middling goalie as a starter.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Jarry was great for a little while until he wasn't. Having 6 shutouts is nothing to sneeze at, he was tied for the lead and was the first one to reach that number.

But after that...woof. He was B...A...D...!!! Look at his career numbers per month.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Jarry is the quintessential Penguin in the Sullivan post 2017 era - looks really great at times, gives you hope that the he and the team have finally turned the page and have learned from their mistakes, then in the worst possible time he makes the dumbest mistake. And then the entire team falls apart mentally and loses in the most embarrassing of fashions.

It's just incredible how cool, calm and collected the whole team can play as long as Jarry has not allowed a goal, then they allow one measly goal goal and immediately panic sets in. We need a more unflappable goalie, even if produces fewer shutouts. They don't give extra points for shutouts, after all.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
On the one hand I like goalies and corner backs that have absurd confidence and no memory because they need to be ready to go again seconds after getting publicly embarrassed, but dang that's a bad sign if Jarry thinks he was good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad