Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This is definitely true. I get on Dubas but I'm curious to see if he can be a little more willing to make changes than the past two guys. The team's posture towards Ned versus Jarry also says to me that he might not have much choice or he'll possibly face some friction on his roster.
Dubas has a track record already in Pittsburgh of pumping guys' tires and then moving on. He did it with Jeff Petry after free agency, said he'd be a big part of the team. Petry was exiled to Montreal with retention a month later in the Karlsson deal. He praised Ruhwedel and sent him out at the deadline. He talked up Reilly Smith for months while he struggled and it turns out he was being shopped at the deadline.

So, I think it's interesting that they very specifically praised Jarry at the end of the year, said it'd be a big summer, etc. And he almost went out of his way to not include Ned in the picture next year.

I think the Pens may try to completely clean house in goal. They want to spin Jarry as still being good, he's still their guy, etc. so they get an OK return. And I think they don't believe Ned can be consistently good. I thought it was very interesting that the praise for Ned late in the season was about his effort, his compete level, his determination, etc. Nothing about his talent or skill.

It's possible the Pens felt like they got back into the playoff picture with some luck and Ned's demeanor, not his play, was why he stayed in goal. Dubas even said how the season ended would have no bearing on his plan for the summer.

I think this is going to be a fascinating summer from a roster construction and player development structure standpoint. We're not going to see the coaching staff overhaul people want to see, but I think you're going to see a lot of other changes.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dubas has a track record already in Pittsburgh of pumping guys' tires and then moving on. He did it with Jeff Petry after free agency, said he'd be a big part of the team. Petry was exiled to Montreal with retention a month later in the Karlsson deal. He praised Ruhwedel and sent him out at the deadline. He talked up Reilly Smith for months while he struggled and it turns out he was being shopped at the deadline.

So, I think it's interesting that they very specifically praised Jarry at the end of the year, said it'd be a big summer, etc. And he almost went out of his way to not include Ned in the picture next year.

I think the Pens may try to completely clean house in goal. They want to spin Jarry as still being good, he's still their guy, etc. so they get an OK return. And I think they don't believe Ned can be consistently good. I thought it was very interesting that the praise for Ned late in the season was about his effort, his compete level, his determination, etc. Nothing about his talent or skill.

It's possible the Pens felt like they got back into the playoff picture with some luck and Ned's demeanor, not his play, was why he stayed in goal. Dubas even said how the season ended would have no bearing on his plan for the summer.

I think this is going to be a fascinating summer from a roster construction and player development structure standpoint. We're not going to see the coaching staff overhaul people want to see, but I think you're going to see a lot of other changes.

I mean... I hope so. It will at least give us something to talk about. I'm more or less past being actually excited about this team doing anything, though. I still feel the sting of truly thinking these guys were going to be decent this past year only for them to flounder around for 3/4 of a season looking like trash.

re: Ned... I think mentality is HUGE with goaltending. They are a rather homogenized group in today's league so the mental game is what separates them in a lot of ways. Jarry doesn't have that aspect to his game at all IMO and I hope Dubas sees that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jarry either needs a change of scenery or a total rethink of the goalie coaching/sports shrink. It's not entirely his fault, to be fair, this team defense exposes a lot of weaknesses and he was overworked, but those problems are not going away until the coach does.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jarry either needs a change of scenery or a total rethink of the goalie coaching/sports shrink. It's not entirely his fault, to be fair, this team defense exposes a lot of weaknesses and he was overworked, but those problems are not going away until the coach does.

Aside from his rather pissy/dismissive attitude at times I really don't have a problem with Jarry. It's more how I view the position league-wide at large. I NEVER wanted the team to pay him... it's nothing personal it's just not smart. And now here we are.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Completely unrelated note, I have this memory of seeing a Pens goalie fight without dropping the blocker once and I like to think it was true because lol, imagine coming in for a fight and just eating an overhand right from a blocker.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Robertson? Blecch. He's no better than Puustinen, and why not give a homegrown player a REAL chance for a change?
At least come up with some targets that are worth going after lol…I want to see an offer sheet Byfield or Pinto proposal…both those teams have cap issues and if after the draft, we have all our 2025 picks…stop picking up or suggesting we go after the dregs of this league lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People whine about this team being old, and then when a legitimate option like Robertson is thrown out, people complain because "he'll block Puustinen!" :laugh:

Idk what some of you want at this point. Robertson would be an incredibly acquisition if he can be pulled off. He was on a 20 goal, 40 point pace while spending most of his minutes with Domi and Jarnkrok. He'd be a massive improvement if the Penguins could somehow pull him off. Not only is there space for both Robertson and Puustinen, but Robertson is both better and younger than Puustinen.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think sully is getting a bad rap here. those bad players sully plays/or not , seem to get much better after they are moved.
Nah Kapanen has continued to suck elsewhere and so has Jack Johnson. McGinn hasn't done a damned thing in Anaheim.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People whine about this team being old, and then when a legitimate option like Robertson is thrown out, people complain because "he'll block Puustinen!" :laugh:

Idk what some of you want at this point. Robertson would be an incredibly acquisition if he can be pulled off. He was on a 20 goal, 40 point pace while spending most of his minutes with Domi and Jarnkrok. He'd be a massive improvement if the Penguins could somehow pull him off. Not only is there space for both Robertson and Puustinen, but Robertson is both better and younger than Puustinen.

Robertson would be scratched within 10 games under Sully.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure bringing in a young hockey player with potential, who just needs to be coached , is in Sullivan's wheelhouse....
But but Dubas says he’s great working with young players and is going to be here molding our next wave of players …and we’re damn lucky for that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad